Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

25th Hour - A Spike Lee Joint

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25th Hour: Released for 8 days and still in only 1 theater.

I saw 25th Hour today. I am surprised that this movie, which has an awesome cast and some decent marketing, is only showing in 1 theater in Southern California, the Arclight in Hollywood. (Nice, but expensive theater by the way.) I guess they just wanted it out to get Oscar consideration, but the wide release isn't until Jan. 10th!

Overall I thought that the movie was pretty good, but it felt a little anti-climactic to me. I think that Phillip Seymore Hoffman needs to diversify his roles a bit more. It always seems to me that he is playing the same dorky guy in every movie that he is in. He pulls it off, but it is always the same. I was fairly surprised that Rosario Dawson did such a good job. The only other movies that I have seen her in are MIIB and Josie and the Pussycats. She did a really good job in this dramatic role.

I would talk more about the anti-climactic ending, but since this is so limited, I don't want to mess it up for those that can't see it yet.

-CM-
Old 12-28-02, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do a search for where it MIGHT be playing in your city...

http://touchstonepictures.go.com/25thhour/

and for the record, one theater? Nope, playing at three theaters in new york:
AMC Empire 25
Loews Cineplex Village VII
Loews Cineplex Lincoln Square

Old 12-28-02, 11:09 AM

Re: 25th Hour: Released for 8 days and still in only 1 theater.

Originally posted by C-Mart
is only showing in 1 theater in Southern California, the Arclight in Hollywood.
Old 12-28-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
25th Hour: Released for 8 days and still in only 1 theater.
Old 12-28-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jack,

C-Mart, probably without knowing, did not put more information into the thread title.

Don't worry. Be happy.

You guys are sort of both right.
Old 12-28-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the movie looks great. can't wait to see it.

Spike Lee's films are usually interesting to say the least
Old 12-30-02, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by conscience
Jack,

C-Mart, probably without knowing, did not put more information into the thread title.

Don't worry. Be happy.

You guys are sort of both right.
Actually the difference between the title and the content of my post was intentional. I don't like to put long thread titles, that basivally defeat the purpose of posting the body of the thread, so, I intentionally stated that it was only in 1 theater in the title to kind of draw people in, and then I clarified int he body of the post stating that it was in CA in 1 theater. I had no idea if it was in any other cities/states. For all I know it is only in 1 theater in CA and 3 in NY. It could be in many theaters in other major cities like Chicago, but I wouldn't know. It doesn't even matter, the purpose of this thread was to try and find out why this movie is not in wide release, as it is a very high profile movie. Maybe they needed more time to make prints, but wanted to at least release it in time for Oscar Nods, which it should get. The same holds for Adaptation, which was/is highly advertised, yet was only released in a very limited manner, until Jan 10th, the same as 25th Hour's wide release.

-CM-
Old 12-30-02, 12:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Doesn't get released here for another 2 weeks.
Old 12-31-02, 10:15 AM

Don't most of Spike Lee's films have anti-climactic endings? From School Daze to Get on The Bus to Clockers to Bamboozled. I can't think of any of his films that really had a good ending.

D
Old 12-31-02, 12:52 PM

I haven't gone to see it (no money) but my friends said it's amazing.
Old 12-31-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Saw this Sunday at the Loews Cineplex Village VII in NYC and loved it. It's Spike Lee's best film, the acting is outstanding, the story itself is amazing, the cinematography, the time period and setting (post 9/11 NYC), the sound and score, everything was just about perfect. Ed Norton's midfilm rant ranks up there among the best film monologues ever. I gave it a 10 on IMDb.
Old 12-31-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Derrich
Don't most of Spike Lee's films have anti-climactic endings? From School Daze to Get on The Bus to Clockers to Bamboozled. I can't think of any of his films that really had a good ending.

D
Yeah they often do that's always bothered me (maybe that's goal) but sometimes I'de like to see a real ending from him rather than leave the movie with that "was that it" feeling
Old 01-11-03, 01:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

This is my favourite 2002 movie, I had a grin on my face all the way through, everything was perfect.

Far and away the best film imho of all last year, Ed Norton again shows what a fantastic actor he is, and with barry pepper, and philip seymour hoffman supporting him, who could ask for better.
Old 01-11-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is on my "to see" list. Now if my theater would cooperate...
Old 01-11-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah this looks great.

too bad it's in such limited release

Rosario Dawson is another attraction of the film.
Old 01-11-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the first half hour, Ed Norton's character goes off on a "rant" about all the things that piss him off. Easily one of the best scenes I have seen in a long time. I loved it!

Also, did anyone else think that when
Spoiler:
Barry Pepper was beating the snot outta Ed Norton, didn't it look exactly like what Ed Norton did to Goldenboy in Fight Club?
I guess what goes around comes around.
Old 01-11-03, 06:02 PM
Banned

Awesome film. My favorite this year.
Old 01-11-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Just got back from it. It was the best movie I have seen in a while. The rant kind of gave me flashbacks of American History X.
Old 01-11-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cliffzig

Also, did anyone else think that when
Spoiler:
Barry Pepper was beating the snot outta Ed Norton, didn't it look exactly like what Ed Norton did to Goldenboy in Fight Club?
I guess what goes around comes around.
YES!!!! EXACTLY what came to mind, and also there was a line when he's talking to his father in the bar and Norton's like "O please don't do this..." reminded me of when Marla comes up to him and cries and he says the same thing......

And gotta agree with the rant, I believe that was my favorite part of the movie, really strong, and just so well edited. Really enjoyed this spike lee joint
Old 01-11-03, 09:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I'll be seeing this tomorrow - can't wait!
Old 01-12-03, 07:09 AM

Off topic but... What's up with "A Spike Lee Joint?" why can't he just make "films" why does he have to make "joints?" No one else makes "joints." Sorry for the rant, it is just that this has always annoyed me.

On Topic: I do, however, really want to see this. It looks like a great film. I mean joint
Old 01-12-03, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Danny_boy
Off topic but... What's up with "A Spike Lee Joint?" why can't he just make "films" why does he have to make "joints?" No one else makes "joints." Sorry for the rant, it is just that this has always annoyed me.

That's his production company, isn't it ??

Can't wait to see it myself. Maybe tonight...
Old 01-12-03, 06:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I think a lot of people are unaware this is a spike lee movie, he just calls them joints.

the production copmany is 40 acres and a mule
Old 01-12-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you look in another thread, you will see that he is somewhat of a racist. So he wants to separate himself from everyone else. Especially white film directors.

Great film. This came to my town Friday and I saw it to see what else Brian Cox had to offer and even though it was a smaller role, he was great.

I also think Edward Norton is an excellent actor. Barry Pepper showed a good range here as well.

Rosario Dawson
Old 01-12-03, 10:10 PM

Just got back from seeing it and the first word that comes to mind is "WOW" !!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.