Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone have simgolf?

Old 01-10-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have simgolf?

Wil Wright + Sid Meyers seems to be an unbeatable combination, but I tried the demo and it seemed kind of limited.

Any reviews?
Old 01-11-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe you didn't like the demo. I spent hours playing that.

Anyways, the demo pretty accurately reflects the game. The whole game is just bigger. 18 holes instead of 3, more members, different course types, etc. I really liked the game myself. I suggest you give it a shot. The price is pretty low too. I think it retails for $30 and I'm sure you can find it for cheaper than that.
Old 01-11-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Lots of places have it for $19.99 which has made me wonder if it is crap or not. I like sims and I like golf, so it seems like a no-brainer.
Old 01-11-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the game on release and played it quite a bit, and have just started playing again and still love it.

While there are some features I would have liked to see more focus on, the game is very good and I still come up with new hole ideas each time I play.
Old 01-11-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great game.
Old 01-12-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
Lots of places have it for $19.99 which has made me wonder if it is crap or not. I like sims and I like golf, so it seems like a no-brainer.
It's cheap because it's been out for a long while now. It's pretty fun, but I think it could have been a lot better. I haven't played it in a while, so I can't remember what my specific compaints were.
Old 01-13-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well the first hole I ever made was named a classic hole within the 2nd year. Admittedy it was beginners luck, but STILL!
Old 01-20-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay, I picked this up and it is a really good game. I haven't played it exhaustively but I can tell that I will be. I am not a huge fan of the golf interface (basically you don't have much control when you golf), and I had imagined designing a course and them going into a 3-D environment like Links to play it. That would have been incredible, but no such luck. But, even without that, it is a blast...so pick it up and enjoy the sim part, and don't get your hopes up for the golfing aspect.
Old 01-20-03, 04:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

kvr, Links comes with the Arnold Palmer course designer. It has a bit of a learning curve, but if you are familiar with CAD stuff, it probably wouldn't be difficult for you.

I remeber there was such a game where you designed courses like that and could actually play them links style I believe, but it wasn't that great if I remember correctly.
Old 01-20-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
kvr, Links comes with the Arnold Palmer course designer. It has a bit of a learning curve, but if you are familiar with CAD stuff, it probably wouldn't be difficult for you.
I did that and was a bit disappointed. It was fine, but I was looking for the humor, etc. of a Sim game, along with the outrageousness of having a pyramid, etc. in my course.

I also prefer the interface of Simgolf for designing. You are right about CAD, etc. It felt more like a job and less like fun making a hole to me.
Old 01-20-03, 06:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah those are pretty powerful tools. I guess that's the toolset they use for creating the actual courses.
Old 01-21-03, 10:50 AM

I was totally addicted to the demo and played in many times over. I bought the game the day it came out and played it for a few days. Then switched to another game and never went back. I guess after playing the demo so much I got burned out. PLus I didn't feel like there was much more to it than what I saw in the demo.

I will say though, that it is a fun, addicting game that would be a great pick up in the bargain bin.
Old 01-21-03, 12:13 PM
zig

SimGolf was a great game. After playing the demo I was hooked and bought the full game. But then.. just like a few other people here, I just stopped playing after a week or so.

If the golfing aspect was better it could've lasted longer. Designing tricky courses was fun, but I think there just wasn't enough variety to keep it interesting for long.

I'd still buy it if you can get it cheap.