Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I really really find Regal Entertainment Theatres annoying!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 02:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya know, I had the day off and and I wanted to see both 25th Hour and NARC today, and of course the only times and theatres that worked were a Regal in Virginia, and an Upper Northwest DC theatre, 11:05 am and 1:50 pm respectively. Of course if I had remembered that the Regal theatre in question is notorious for not starting their films on time, and the g**damn commercial/trailers ran 20, repeat 20 minutes I could have seen these films back to back. But no, Regal IMO,is the worst offender of throwing every sort of trailer, commercial in front of a movie, what a waste of time. Oh well, I had to get this off my chest, since it really annoyed me to no avail.
Old 01-10-03, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i moved out here to find there are only two theaters near me, both regal. their commercials are balls. its pretty disappointing that we get to pay money to watch commercials..
Old 01-10-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I really really find Regal Entertainment Theatres annoying!

Originally posted by Giles
Of course if I had remembered that the Regal theatre in question is notorious for not starting their films on time, and the g**damn commercial/trailers ran 20, repeat 20 minutes I could have seen these films back to back. But no, Regal IMO,is the worst offender of throwing every sort of trailer, commercial in front of a movie, what a waste of time. .

And of course, here in NYC, I never get 20 minutes of trailers/commercials at the Loews, Sony, AMC, Clearview ..... yeah, right.
Old 01-10-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: I really really find Regal Entertainment Theatres annoying!

And great movies like LOTR (1 & 2) about 20 minutes cut so they can show us 20 minutes of commercials and trailers.... no wonder I usually don't bother going to the theaters anymore.

Originally posted by marty888
And of course, here in NYC, I never get 20 minutes of trailers/commercials at the Loews, Sony, AMC, Clearview ..... yeah, right.
Old 01-10-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't care about the commericals, just the cheesy regal entertainment intro that looks so badly done.
Old 01-10-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which one the roller coaster one? Me and my friends put our hands up when we're going down the "drop". Just to make fun of it. Man we're pathetic.
Old 01-10-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, the roller coaster one. I'd laugh if i saw people raising up their hands though =D
Old 01-10-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Have a friend that works for Regal. Actually he's worked at the same theater for quite some time. It used to be United Artists, but they evenetually got swallowed up by Regal. He keeps telling me how backwards Regal runs things. Even simple things like concessions are now more difficult to run than they were under UA. Regal defintely has its problems.
Old 01-11-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last two times I went to a Regal Entertainment Group's theater (Catch Me If You Can and Heaven), before the film there were:

- A commercial for Volvo
- A commercial for ESPN
- A commercial for Diet Coke
- A commercial/short film for Coca-Cola
- Five trailers
- A Fandango trailer
- The Regal Entertainment Group trailer

Now at Century Theaters, there's usually only five trailers, the Fandango trailer, and the very short Century Theaters trailer.... same goes for Brendan Theaters, just without the Fandango trailer.
Old 01-11-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I really really find Regal Entertainment Theatres annoying!

Originally posted by mcarver
And great movies like LOTR (1 & 2) about 20 minutes cut so they can show us 20 minutes of commercials and trailers
Could I have some of what you're smoking?
Old 01-11-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never had the pleasure of seeing the roller coaster until Regal bought Edwards...now that stupid roller coaster never goes away. And I thought nothing could top the little film conductor AMC uses in terms of cheesiness.
Old 01-11-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I can say is Regal is the only theater in my area that has a coffee bar. They get my vote JUST for that.
Old 01-11-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you complaining, Regal had an even worst theater intro a few years ago.

Back in 2000, they created this god awful intro with the Pepsi girl in the old west telling a people in a saloon to not smoke, not talk, blah blah blah. It was the worst three minutes I had to sit through in my life. I wanted to shoot myself in my head. And the sad thing is that people laughed.

Then in mid 2001, they had a three minute Pepsi commercial. I swear to God, the thing lasted three minutes and it consisted of Britney Spears singing and dancing.

This is why I hate Regal Cinemas. They only get my money cause the one closest to my house shows the most indie films in Las Vegas.
Old 01-11-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Notice how recently, they got a new version of the coaster. It is almost the exact same but with a few more details. I feel sad that I actually noticed it. They should have come up with a whole new theater promo, not update the same one.
Old 01-11-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by matrixrok9
Which one the roller coaster one? Me and my friends put our hands up when we're going down the "drop". Just to make fun of it. Man we're pathetic.
God, I'm pathetic too. I do that everytime I go to my local Regal theatre when I see that cheesy roller coaster clip.

BTW, add to my list of complaints about the chain, the laziest management and projectionists. Every stinkin single time I go to see a film at my Regal theatre, there is ***ALWAYS*** something wrong with the film. The volume is either turned down so low you can't hear it. The film out of focus. Or out of frame. I swear! And I'm the only MoFo who gets up, and walks down to the main level, to report this. It's a pain in the ass.
Old 01-12-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should have come up with a whole new theater promo, not update the same one.
As I said, they've tried it before, didn't work.

Every stinkin single time I go to see a film at my Regal theatre, there is ***ALWAYS*** something wrong with the film.
Hey, same here.

Heaven = audio drop-outs.
The Dish = a weird ringing noise during the trailers.
Memento = film delayed 20 minutes due to film projectionist messing up.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail = mother farkers stopped the film right after the ending. So basically the intermission/overture music after the film, GONE!
Ocean's 11 = audio drop-outs.
Death to Smoochy = 1.85:1 film presented on 2.35:1 screen (so black bars on the sides of the screen).

The only film not to have any problems: the sneak preview of Van Wilder.
Old 01-12-03, 01:52 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by matrixrok9
*WHEW* thank god I'm not the only one who does that!
Old 01-12-03, 02:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
As I said, they've tried it before, didn't work.

Hey, same here.

Heaven = audio drop-outs.
The Dish = a weird ringing noise during the trailers.
Memento = film delayed 20 minutes due to film projectionist messing up.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail = mother farkers stopped the film right after the ending. So basically the intermission/overture music after the film, GONE!
Ocean's 11 = audio drop-outs.
Death to Smoochy = 1.85:1 film presented on 2.35:1 screen (so black bars on the sides of the screen).

The only film not to have any problems: the sneak preview of Van Wilder.
When I saw "The Ring" at Regal Ballston, the 'horse' scene, the entire image shifted so that the bottom of the screen was on the top and the top on the bottom, this got corrected when the reel changed occured, but it threw off the entire movie.

"Reign of Fire" - Regal Rockville - wrong aspect ratio for the first 10 minutes of the film. 2.35:1 on 1.85 screen, the image was cut off on the sides.

"Black Hawk Down" - largest auditorium at Regal Ballston. Dolby 4. Channel presentation, even though it can playback Dolby 5.1 Digital soundtracks. Simply unexcuseable, Hoyt's Potomac Yards in Alexandria VA, is notorious in not getting digital prints even though all the screens can playback all three digital sound systems.
Old 01-13-03, 03:59 PM
Banned

Big Bash of REGAL in the latest Roger Ebert Answer Man column:
When we went to see "The Two Towers" at our local theater (owned by Regal) we were forced to sit through 30 minutes of commercials and advertisements. This was prior to the usual amount of trailers. The audience that night was close to rioting after the first 15 minutes of ads, and I understood their frustration. The trailers I don't mind but if I wanted to see commercials I would stay home and watch TV. Any thoughts on how we can stop this before it gets any worse?

Joanna Land, Irvine, Calif.

A. I agree with you: I've paid to get in and don't deserve to have commercials inflicted on me. There is another insidious possibility: Movies are currently held to about two hours because theaters want to "turn over" the audience three times a night. If 20 or 30 minutes of commercials are added, will directors be pressured to hold their movies to 90 minutes? There are trade reports that theater ad packages are being promoted as a new advertising medium. What may sink this trend is the intense resentment audiences feel against the commercials. If I were a sponsor, I would think twice before buying ads so that an audience could boo my trademark.
Old 01-13-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For those of you complaining, Regal had an even worst theater intro a few years ago.

Back in 2000, they created this god awful intro with the Pepsi girl in the old west telling a people in a saloon to not smoke, not talk, blah blah blah. It was the worst three minutes I had to sit through in my life. I wanted to shoot myself in my head. And the sad thing is that people laughed.

This is why I hate Regal Cinemas. They only get my money cause the one closest to my house shows the most indie films in Las Vegas.
God. I thought I'd blocked that Pepsi girl/Regal ad out of my head forever. One of the most painful things I've ever had to sit through before a movie.

I agree. I'd never see a movie at a Regal Cinema if the one at Village Square wasn't the only theater that actually showed indie films in Vegas.
Old 01-13-03, 06:00 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
We've stopped going to the Regal Theaters in our area (there's almost a dozen of them within 25 minutes of my house!) in favor of the 18-screen Cinemark about 10 minutes away.
Old 01-13-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I do not care about the trailers they show before the movie...I am cool with that. HOWEVER:

I went back home to Chicago for the winter break and decided to see Femme Fatale....and guess what...the theater over at Milwauakee and....Lincolnwood or something like that charged me 9.50$ for the late show. Geeezzzzz....so if I wanna see 2 movies I can easily be asking myself...."Did I buy a DVD tonight or what"?
Old 01-13-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only thing I like about Regal in my town (excuse me) that i have to like about Regal in my town is that they are the only ones to get the "good films" that don't consist of a big budget.

The others are just bitches to the entertainment whore.
Old 01-13-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God. I thought I'd blocked that Pepsi girl/Regal ad out of my head forever. One of the most painful things I've ever had to sit through before a movie.
I never saw it at the Village Square. Always saw it at the Colonade, which is a much better theater than the Village Square. But I did see the three minute Britney Spears pepsi ad at the Village Square when I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail during it's re-release. After that Holy Grail experience, I never stepped into a Regal cinema for a solid three months. Then the bad experience at Ocean's 11 and I didn't go for a solid three months again. Then I just didn't go again till I saw Bowling for Columbine back in November on my birthday.

I either stick to the Palms 14 (and the theater promised us they would show indie films.... and they're not....) or Orleans 18. If Suncoast 16 was closer, I'd go there as they sometimes have a decent selection of indie films.

What I want in this city is Century Theaters' art house chain.
Old 01-13-03, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I never saw it at the Village Square. Always saw it at the Colonade, which is a much better theater than the Village Square. But I did see the three minute Britney Spears pepsi ad at the Village Square when I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail during it's re-release. After that Holy Grail experience, I never stepped into a Regal cinema for a solid three months. Then the bad experience at Ocean's 11 and I didn't go for a solid three months again. Then I just didn't go again till I saw Bowling for Columbine back in November on my birthday.

I either stick to the Palms 14 (and the theater promised us they would show indie films.... and they're not....) or Orleans 18. If Suncoast 16 was closer, I'd go there as they sometimes have a decent selection of indie films.

What I want in this city is Century Theaters' art house chain.
I primarily go to the Suncoast. Sometimes, the Orleans and Village Square when necessary. Haven't been to the Palms yet though. Didn't it host the Las Vegas Film Festival this year? There were actually a lot of films I wanted to see, and I ended up being out of town...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.