Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC takes a big poop on The Practice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ABC takes a big poop on The Practice

While I agree that Kelley has let this show veer too far from reality in latter seasons, I still love the characters, and find most of the ethical dillemas compelling. Considering the state of ABC, you'd think they'd show some respect to one of their few winning dramas--it nearly always wins its timeslot...

Instead, they're trying to muscle it out of the way and find an excuse to cancel... Dumping it into a loser time slot, and demanding a price-cut to renew it at all...

ABC's "Practice" Pay Cut

Thu Jan 9,12:45 PM ET By Lia Haberman

The Practice doesn't make perfect on ABC.

The Alphabet network is looking to slash the price they pay for the legal drama if programming execs decide to renew the series for next season.

A renewal deal negotiated a couple of years ago between the penny-pinching net and creator David E. Kelley set the series price tag at just over $6 million--still less than the whopping $13 million per-episode fee NBC pays for ER. But now, with ABC struggling in the Nielsens, network suits want to renegotiate the Emmy-winning series' license fee.

Network execs don't think the show's current ratings deserve the big bucks they'd have to lay out to bring the series back for a sixth season, despite the fact that The Practice is one of the few ABC shows to consistently place first in its time slot.

The Practice has averaged 11.8 million viewers this season and ranks at number 31, according to Nielsen Media Research. The legal wranglings of the Boston-based law office, led by Dylan McDermott (news) as senior attorney Bobby Donnell, attracted 12.9 million viewers last season.

ABC's hardball play is the latest affront to TV's resident golden boy. Last month, ABC execs announced they would move The Practice from its proven Sunday night time slot to Monday night to make way for a midseason entry. Dragnet, starring TV vet Ed O'Neill (news), launches February 2.

Industry insiders say the switcheroo is all part of a ploy to cut The Practice's hefty price tag, since the show could lose viewers in its new slot, thus giving ABC more ammo at the bargaining table. The new night means the Bean Town attorneys will go up against perennial favorite Everybody Loves Raymond (news - Y! TV) on CBS and the season's new reality hit Joe Millionaire on Fox.

If ABC and show producer 20th Century Fox can't agree on the right price, Kelley and Fox have the option to shop The Practice elsewhere.

Calls to Kelley's production office Thursday were not returned. However, his company did release a statement last week saying it was none too pleased with its treatment. "We are very concerned about this move," the Kelley camp said. "We are hoping that ABC will do everything in its power to support the show, which has garnered critical acclaim since its inception and has continually won its time slot."
Old 01-10-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Fine with me... I don't watch it, so cancellation would only be good news cuz then maybe there'd be a chance of a new show I do want to watch
Old 01-10-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long. I gave up on this show shortly after the whole Vogelman as the murdering nun storyline.
Old 01-10-03, 11:51 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Only ABC would try and get rid of one of their few shows that is actually winning it's timeslot.
Old 01-10-03, 12:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Network execs don't think the show's current ratings deserve the big bucks they'd have to lay out to bring the series back for a sixth season, despite the fact that The Practice is one of the few ABC shows to consistently place first in its time slot.
Last time I checked, The Practice was in its 7th season.
Old 01-10-03, 01:01 PM

I'd actually welcome the cancellation of this show. I can't count how many times my girlfriend and I have looked at each other while watching The Practice and said "This show sucks. Why haven't we cut this out of our schedule yet?" We only continue to watch due to some misplaced "loyalty" to the show after watching it since the first episode.

At least it would free up an hour on my ReplayTV.
Old 01-10-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Why'd I know the show would get no love here in the TV forum?
Old 01-10-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth adamblast •<HR SIZE=1>Why'd I know the show would get no love here in the TV forum? <HR SIZE=1>

I hear they love the show over in Book Talk.

das
Old 01-10-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Darq
I'd actually welcome the cancellation of this show. I can't count how many times my girlfriend and I have looked at each other while watching The Practice and said "This show sucks. Why haven't we cut this out of our schedule yet?" We only continue to watch due to some misplaced "loyalty" to the show after watching it since the first episode.

At least it would free up an hour on my ReplayTV.
I'm in pretty much the same boat... I enjoyed it when it started, but it has gotten very bad in the past couple of years in my opinion.

I'd drop this in a heartbeat, but my wife still likes it... so I'm "stuck" watching it every week.
Old 01-10-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Hey, I still enjoy it!
Of course, I'm just slowly catching up with the old seasons... we've only been watching for the last couple. It helps that it and alias were on the same block (though that's over now).

This seems really underhanded on the part of ABC, if indeed they moved the show in order to give them leverage. What's to stop the Practice from moving networks? You'd think that ABC would be starved for programming... I'm really surprised at the rate of turnover on their shows. Sunday is really the only time I watch ABC that I can think of...
Old 01-10-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I agree the show has lost a significant amount of quality compared to the past, I still think this is one of the best shows on, so :P
Old 01-10-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
this is one of the few shows I watch on ABC
actually I think it's the only one currently
Old 01-11-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
I enjoy the show. Would also like the move to Monday. Sunday I watch a little football, but then spend the rest of the day getting ready for the week. I often miss the show since it's on Sundays. Would watch it more!