Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help !!what Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help !!what Should I Buy?

I am about to take the plunge and buy a system. Trouble is I cant pick which one to get. They all have games I want to play that are exclusive to all of them. And they all have things that make each one unique to have. Prices are decent and I can find used games with no problem for all the systems. Its just I can't make up my mind. I am almost swayed by the cool green glow of the Xbox. But the PS2 has a lot of games! Gamecube has the cool Star wars games and a few others that I want to play. Plus its the cheapest!
I currently have a Ps1 with a dual shock controller that I can use on the Ps2 , so that would be a break.

Do you have any advice for me ?

Old 01-10-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Buy what you want, or look through the other threads on this subject and let them decide for you.
Old 01-10-03, 11:03 AM

Weigh your options first. List all the games you want to play per console. List also the pros and cons with regard to your situation. Plus research for known problems for each console (if any) that will make you don't want to purchase it.

Then decide to buy a Gamecube.
Old 01-10-03, 11:04 AM

I had the same dillema. Went with the cube since it's cheapest. If I decide i cant live without the other console games(which i doubt) then I can consider buy another system. PS2 may be a good start for you since your PS1 stuff will be compatible, and it does have the most games.
Old 01-10-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you got a Home Theater setup I would definitely go with the xbox. And/or you want to rip 100+ cd's to your xbox hdd and use it as a great audio system get it. If you have no HT setup nor have any plans of putting any music on the hdd then really does not matter. Guess it's just a matter of which exclusive titles you want to play the most...
Old 01-10-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought an Xbox b/c I wanted to play Steel Battalion, Splinter Cell (I know this is coming out for GC/PS2 too), Halo (and sequel later), Panzer Dragoon Orta.

But if I had wanted to play GTA series and RPG's, I would have bought a PS2.

Or if I really want to play Nintendo games and Resident Evil, I would have bought a GC.

But in the end, Steel Battalion rules them all!!!
Old 01-10-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought an X-box because of the bundle pack (2 games I would have bought anyways) and the rebate on the dvd remote. I also liked the games that were out and those planning to come out.

Besides I still have my Playstation and a ton of games I haven't played yet. I can wait on the PS2, and wait for the games to become greatest hits.

Like everyone recommends, do your research and buy the one you'll be happy with.
Old 01-10-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

don't let price of the system console affect your purchase decision. buy your system based on the games you want to play. Gamecube is only $50 cheaper than xbox/ps2; that is just ONE game. You'll be playing many, many, many games on your system over the course of the next several years (or more), and considering that fact, $50 is nothing.
Old 01-10-03, 06:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Well, it is a new year, so maybe we can leave one of these open again. Let's please try to avoid console-bashing.

I'd also suggest finding and looking at old threads, since all the arguments last year for buying a system are pretty much the same this year. Maybe they're slightly altered b/c of online play, but that's about it.
Old 01-10-03, 08:06 PM

I agree with the strategy of counting up the games you definitely want to play. My wife got me an X-Box for my birthday back in March. She was going to get me a PS2 down to a couple days before, but after seeing Halo, JSRF, Obi-Wan and hearing that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was coming out soon (I'm a big Buffy fan) she switched to the X-Box. I've played a friend's PS2 and it's a lot of fun, but I don't regret getting an X-Box one bit. I love the games that are available and there are more coming out all the time.

You won't go wrong by picking the games first. Good luck!
Old 01-10-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The all have good and bad points.

Xbox: Good deal with the 2 game bundle, no need for memory card

GameCube: Cheapest one, overall, need to get a memory card

PS2: Need to buy a memory card, but lots of good $20 Greatest Hits games

I have all 3. It is the only way to be satisfied fully.
Old 01-10-03, 11:06 PM

Great responses so far!

Here's my advice:

The PS2 has by far the biggest library of A list titles, many of which can be had for 19.99 or less. Online capability if you can find a network adapter, or use a USB NA. And it plays dvd's right out of the box.

The Xbox has a great bundle right now. Some cool exclusive games, and online capability but it's broadband only.

The Gamecube is just all-around cool.
Old 01-11-03, 01:32 AM

That is why you get all 3.
Old 01-11-03, 11:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

*waiting for $500 personal check from menaz*
Old 01-11-03, 01:23 PM

I'd say go with the cube.. I don't trust Microsoft getting into the console gaming industry.
Old 01-11-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Microsoft is already in the console gaming industry. Besides, isn't that the same thing people said when Sony first entered the market?
Old 01-11-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My take:

PS2: Good graphics, best game selection.
Gamecube: Better graphics, better game selection.
XBox: Best graphics, good game selection.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. Personally, I like the PS2 because of RPG's, GTA, and GT3.
Old 01-11-03, 04:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by heyitsDAVER
Microsoft was not into the console gaming industry until Xbox, thus I don't trust Xbox.

Sony and Microsoft are completely different.
Sony's the one I don't trust, with their tactics they did to sabatoge the Dreamcast.
Old 01-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every company has to start somewhere. It's what they do with their opportunity that matters.
Old 01-11-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
I was in the same situation, and I ultimately decided on the Gamecube, which I picked up this afternoon

For me, it was a combination of the controller, which I found the most comfortable of the three, a wide selection of games I want to play, better graphics than PS2 or X-Box (totally subjective, and they all rock), and the compactness of the unit, which makes it easier to move between the main TV and my bedroom set.

This is my first game console since the intellivision, and I'm looking forward to getting back into gaming.
Old 01-11-03, 06:58 PM

Sony and Microsoft are completely different.
Agreed MS is worth about 5 billion more!

I wouldn't get to concerned w/ the xBox not lasting, it is here to stay.
----------------
I would agree, the best thing is to list the games you want to play, and see which system covers the most bases.

If you are into FPS I would go with the xBox. This is what I purchased and am very, very satisfied with system and the available games.

My buddy has a Game Cube, and has about 6 games that he really likes, but is disappointed in the number of available games. The games are quality, but not allot of good ones are out there.

The PS2 without doubt has the largest game library.
Old 01-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its really about games. The hardware specs and facts are useless. Look at the all the games currently available and coming soon and see what console has the must stuff you would buy.

Pick the console you will get the most use out of. All three will be around till 2005 so don't worry.
Old 01-11-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Sony's the one I don't trust, with their tactics they did to sabatoge the Dreamcast.
Sega hurt temselves not sony. I am sure sony did nothing to help them. However many stranded users who got burned by early abandoned systems did nothing to help people believe the cash poor Sega would stay around for the long haul.

And of course everyone who said they would abandon another console was proved right.

The one thing that Sega had going for them is that people want to play some of their games so going multiconsole was the best thing for them. They probably never should have released the Dreamcast at all and spent their money on games instead.

I would look at the games that are out and buy the system that has the most games you want on it(what almost everyone else is saying also)
Old 01-13-03, 09:07 AM

thanks everyone! I went out ad bought a gamecube. They had they games that I wanted to play. It was a good deal too. Got a free memory card with it. And BB had it for $139. I am very happy with this system. Maybe down the road I will get an XBOX or PS2. We'll see how the console wars go.
Old 01-13-03, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I always thought I was a 1-console man (I have PS2) . . . then I saw a post that EBGames.com had a refurbsihed XBox unit for $149.99 with free shipping. Thus, I am now a 2-console man and enjoying every bit of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.