TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FIREFLY- Officially gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIREFLY- Officially gone

Hi,
I pulled this off of www.timminear.net

Jan 09, 03] We have received confirmation from a source at 20th Century Fox that UPN has passed on Firefly. Thank you, everyone, for your tremendous support.

Guess I'll say goodbye Firefly, we barely knew ya.
Old 01-10-03, 09:48 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

can't say I'm surprised.
Old 01-10-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
That's really very sad. I was hoping UPN would see the light and dump Enterprise in favor of a show with a lot more potential Oh well, I can dream can't I? I'm sad to see Firefly go though; I've loved the sci-fi/western combo ever since watching the anime Trigun. Over the season, I've noticed possible references to Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Noir all of which I enjoyed. I thought the chemistry of all the cast members was absolutely perfect and top notch.

After this season most of the shows I watch will be gone:

Farscape (cancelled)
Futurama (cancelled)
Firefly (cancelled)
Buffy (series end)

Only other show I watch semi-regularly is Frasier, and that's only if it sounds interesting. If it's too much of a Niles/Daphne story I can't watch. Sometimes I catch Nero Wolfe on A&E which is a pretty good show.

Almost makes me want to cancel my cable, except my wife still has a few shows she likes on there.

Michael
Old 01-10-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm mildly suprised and disappointed. I was hoping either UPN or WB would try for it and all else failing, I don't know, say maybe the Sci-Fi channel that *should* be picking up a show like that.
Old 01-10-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Taken Network wouldn't be interested, what with it having a spaceship and all. That's too "geeky" according to their press releases.

Sad to see it go. I really wanted to see where it would go given a chance to develop. Why Fox wasted our time when they clearly had no interest in this show succeeding is beyond me.

das
Old 01-10-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It was actually starting to get pretty good before they pulled the plug on it, too. Oh well, what's new...
Old 01-10-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I know, darlin', I know. We really need to do some beyoch slapping don't we?
Old 01-10-03, 10:34 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
I was hoping either UPN or WB would try for it
The WB would pick it up just to cancel it again.

The odds of the WB and Joss working together are about the same as das and Bonnie Hammer going out for coffee together
Old 01-10-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth MrX •<HR SIZE=1>The odds of the WB and Joss working together are about the same as das and Bonnie Hammer going out for coffee together <HR SIZE=1>

Ever see Heat?

das
Old 01-10-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
One word: Dammit.
Old 01-10-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is bad news indeed. I also thought the show really improved as it went along.
Old 01-10-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This seriously bites.
Old 01-16-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No good news for fans, but an update of sorts:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...01/15/13.00.tv
Old 01-17-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why dont they go the syndication route?
Old 01-17-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thrush
Why dont they go the syndication route?
Given it's $2 million/episode price tag, the syndication idea might not work out too well.

The news just doesn't seem to be all too good in the world of Joss:

1) Buffy will very likely end it's run this year. (Although a spin-off or something could be back). http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5301

2) The Angel return on Wednesday did worse in the ratings than the cancelled Birds of Prey, not good...... http://www.trektoday.com/news/160103_03.shtml

3) Firefly doesn't appear to be going to another network.

Could we all be completely Joss-less next season? I sure hope not!

Last edited by Chew; 01-17-03 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-17-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is good to see execs have no idea when a good show is slapping them in the face instead they think they have a great and original idea in Fastlane

This is the only show I really feel sad about not being able to watch anymore it had potential.

Fox executives
Old 01-17-03, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Chew9
Given it's $2 million/episode price tag, the syndication idea might not work out too well.

The news just doesn't seem to be all too good in the world of Joss:

1) Buffy will very likely end it's run this year. (Although a spin-off or something could be back). http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5301

2) The Angel return on Wednesday did worse in the ratings than the cancelled Birds of Prey, not good...... http://www.trektoday.com/news/160103_03.shtml

3) Firefly doesn't appear to be going to another network.

Could we all be completely Joss-less next season? I sure hope not!
I think an interesting thing could happen if Angel gets the axe by the WB and UPN decides to go with a Buffy spin-off....in theory it would open the door for Team Whedon to fold the two shows together....need a Watcher for the SITs?...you've got Wesley...you need a mentor for them?....you've got Angel.....I don't know....could be fun...
Old 01-17-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew9 •<HR SIZE=1>The Angel return on Wednesday did worse in the ratings than the cancelled Birds of Prey, not good......<HR SIZE=1>

Birds of Prey didn't have to go against Man vs. Beast.

Of course, Dune didn't have to go against the biggest football game in decades either, but that didn't stop Bonnie from dropping the Hammer on Rangers.

das
Old 01-17-03, 10:03 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

But it wouldn't be $2 mil per episode if they shot it in Canada, if I understand the article bboisvert linked. If I were working at ME I'd be looking awfully hard at ways to reduce the show's budget to see if they could keep Firefly going. They could be running out of shows mighty fast.
Old 01-18-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Good shows should just skip being on TV and go straight to DVD. I would rather pay 100 dollars up front for a 22 episode season, than have to deal with wondering if a show is going to get cancelled or not. Then the creators can write with freedom, instead of wondering if they are going to be working next week. I know this idea probably isn't feasible, but I would love to see something like this happen. Maybe sell the first 4 episodes of a show for 20 bucks, then release the rest with a case that conveniently will fit those first 4 episodes in with the other 18.
Old 01-20-03, 02:47 PM

Could have something to do with people like me who don't watch anything else on WB, so didn't realized they'd changed days (again) until yesterday.
Old 01-20-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When UPN passes on your show, how badly do you have to suck? Not threadcrapping or saying the show is bad, but do the networks really think this show is THAT awful??
Old 01-20-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
When UPN passes on your show, how badly do you have to suck? Not threadcrapping or saying the show is bad, but do the networks really think this show is THAT awful??
I'm sure a majority of the problem is the cost vs. ratings.
Old 01-21-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth calhoun07 •<HR SIZE=1>When UPN passes on your show, how badly do you have to suck? Not threadcrapping or saying the show is bad, but do the networks really think this show is THAT awful?? <HR SIZE=1>

Picking up a series midseason has almost nothing to do with quality. UPN already has their plan in place; snagging a series FOX never wanted to begin with at the last second would require an incredible array of coincidences and perfect timing. It could be the greatest show ever on television and still not work out. I imagine UPN's also hurting for cash considering what they paid to get Buffy and Smackdown!.

das