Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible way to turn off forced subs [mergéd]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Possible way to turn off forced subs [mergéd]

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Possible way to turn off forced subs.

I thought this would be of interest to those members who order European R2 DVDs of films:

From alt.video.dvd
"APPRIA40WR" wrote:
Been messing about with my Toshiba (for years!) trying to remove locked subs and I've found a work around for every disc I've tried (French Barton Fink, Italian Blood Simple, French The Hit etc).

Go to the menu as usual and choose the original soundtrack (ie English) with the disc country's subtitles (which are locked on many discs).

Press play then stop after a few seconds. The normal problem with removing locked subs is you can't get into the 'set up' menu (not a problem on my Samsung 709 -removes subs no problem) without pressing stop (or pressing stop twice on many players -which then resets the disc to locked subs).

Anyway, press stop (after play/enter) and then change the subtitles to 'French Off' or 'Italian Off' etc. When you normally hit play the disc would bypass that setting and go back to locked subs -but instead of pressing play (after changing the subs to 'off') go to the title/chapter/go-to time menu (it's the 'T' button in the bottom right-hand corner of my remote) and and press it once (no more presses) then press play as normal -and no more subs!

It's worked with over 15 discs with no problem. The only problem was with my Italian Blood & Wine -easily fixed though. Again choose the English track (with Italian [locked] subs) then hit play/enter then stop after a few seconds. I then presssed the 'T' (title/chapter/go-to time menu) button until the goto time section comes up (that's 3 presses on my Toshiba) and enter a valid time (eg 1:11:11 (one hour,eleven minutes and eleven seconds) and then press play (the film then goes to that time -just go back to the start using the chapter/search button as normal) -again the subs don't appear!

Not tried this elsewhere so if a few of you could give it a go and post your findings.
Old 01-12-03, 04:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, Tosh, got a Toshiba?

Old 01-12-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O, great!! Can anyone confirm if this works on the CYBERHOME 500....???

Great, great news!!!
Old 01-13-03, 05:35 AM

It doesn't work on my Denon 2000.
Old 01-13-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’ll be goddamned!! This works like a dream! Many thanks Jay and especially APPRIA40WR.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 01-13-03 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-13-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Can anyone try this with the CYBERHOME 500 PLEASE!!

I do not have any of these discs at this point (the ones with the forced subs) but would very much like to know what's the deal here!!
Old 01-13-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
How about a Malata N 996??
Old 01-13-03, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

man, i'd love to get the franch subs off my copy of 'the brood' cant seem to get them to come off on my jvc xv-s500. anybody have any luck with this model?
Old 01-25-03, 09:01 AM

There's a way on the Venturer Theatre in a box from Wal-Mart.

Start the movie on the disc. Hit stop. then Setup - then go into the Language submenu. Change it from yes to english to no subtitles. Exit menus hit play. Subtitles gone.

Another plus for the Venturer. It also appears to do proper Anamorphic PAL conversion.

Media tested on: Amelie R1 English Canada release from Alliance with forced English or Spanish subs.4
Old 01-25-03, 09:40 AM

This does not work on the Cyberhome CH-500 or the Apex AD-3201
Old 04-05-03, 09:44 PM

will this work on a jvc xvfa902?
Old 04-05-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...Media tested on: Amelie R1 English Canada release from Alliance with forced English or Spanish subs."

...erm... if that disc has "forced English or Spanish subs" they wouldn't be "forced" but, rather, "optional" to begin with, now wouldn't they...?... bad example, I'd say... unless, of course, both the Spanish and the English subs appear simultaneously - highly unlikely, I'd say... or: unless there would be two Canadian releases, one with forced English subs, the other with forced Spanish subs - again again I'd say: highly unlikely...

...just a thought...

. . . . . .
Old 04-05-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, doesnt work on my Daewoo, wished to get rid of the forced english subs on Bend it Like Beckham.
Old 04-06-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and why would BILB - which, afaik, is an English-language movie - have English subs, forced or not*) ? - unless you mean English captions ? which you could easily remove by pushing the appropriate button(s) on your remote (as you could subs)... or unless the language, or parts of it, is Hindi, which seems unlikely... nor does this review of the UK (R2/PAL) DVD make any mention of this...

*) I spoke too soon: the UK disc features both - possibly there is a coding error on 'your' disc that makes the subs appear by default - in which case you could still get rid of them by pushing...etc.

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-06-03 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is the REgion 3 official release, although its really All REgion from PANORAMA, and the subs are forced, have to be selected from the main menu between English and Chinese and cant be turned off, or the option even be accessed while the movie is playing.
Old 04-06-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... a R3 (or R0) release... well, there you are... still seems odd that they would have 'forced' English subs on an English-language movie... BIG QUESTION: WHY !?!?!?!

. . . . . .
Old 04-06-03, 09:51 AM

Old 04-06-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beats me, i know it aint a bootleg, and i know theyre not burned in because they can be switched between Chinese and English. Any help would be appreciated but its no big deal.
Old 04-06-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Because it's a Hong Kong DVD of an English language movie that's not out on DVD in the US yet. It's the first time I've heard of forced subs on a HK DVD, but it's not unusual that it has both Chinese and English subs. The fact that it has forced subs makes it that much less attractive for import.
Old 04-06-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

funny thing is, i got it after seeing the VCD and loving it picked up the DVD when i heard about it from the UK, before all the buzz was over here in the US, subs are small and dont distract from the movie anyway so its no big deal to me
Old 04-22-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by harosa
Mine is the REgion 3 official release, although its really All REgion from PANORAMA, and the subs are forced, have to be selected from the main menu between English and Chinese and cant be turned off, or the option even be accessed while the movie is playing.
Got this one too, and now I'm dying to go home and try this subtitles trick on my players. I hope it works. It's definitely wacky that you can switch subtitle languages, but not have the option to turn them off?
Old 04-22-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matome, please let me know if it works.
Old 04-23-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Harosa-

I got it to work on my Daewoo 3000N all-code by doing a variation of the original concept: let the movie begin playing, then hit the stop button TWICE, enter the player setup menu and then just exit it without making any changes. Now hit the disc menu button and select "Play" and voila no subtitles! Hopefully you have the same model. On another note, there was also a fix for this model that corrected a problem where the subtitles would come back on after FF, pausing or slow search, even if they were off before. If you need this fix let me know and I'll post it for you, since you definitely don't want the subtitles popping back on with the Beckham disc.

This also worked on my portable Samsung DVD L100 by letting the movie begin, hitting stop ONCE, entering the player Setup menu and exiting it without making any changes, enter the disc menu and pressing Play from there.

Since I don't remember having any other discs with locked subtitles I'm not sure if these methods work with other discs.

I could not get it to work in any fashion on my Sonys (D500 & NS900V), Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder or Pioneer DVL 700 combi-player.

Thanks to the original poster for the inspiration!

Last edited by matome; 04-23-03 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

French R2 DVDs annoying subtitles removal

Could anyone try this on their French DVDs (particularly interested in Flash Gordon)

Start the movie in French, NOT in English (ie don’t go to audio setup) then when you get to the movie switch audio tracks. There should be no subs!
Old 10-03-03, 12:29 PM

This won't work on all discs or players unfortunately. The way that subs are forced is through UOP (user operation prohibit)flags. Now in some cases the flags aren't set properly on the disc, and in other (and more preferable) the player in question has been modified (by design or via a firmware bug)to ignore UOP flags.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.