Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batchelorette - 01/08/03 - will you be watching?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So...will a double standard show itself, or will America tune in once again to watch a nice looking single woman looking for love and getting to pick from 25 eligible men?

I don't think this show will do the same numbers as "The Batchelor" did, but it should do okay.
Old 01-08-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
The ratings problem that The Bachelorette will have is that guys probably won't watch much of it. Girls will watch both.
Old 01-08-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's what I thought too, but wasn't as diplomatic with the observation (mainly men will check it out once, but they won't necessarily want to see her week after week checking out new men). Men are just visual creatures, and once they have that BTDT fill of it, men will tune out. Women will tend to have a little more invested emotionally in the process of watching Alex land her man, and tune in week after week.

Last edited by Patman; 01-08-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read countless articles claiming that it will be a double standard if we don't tune in for this, that the audience thinks it's cool for a man to date many women but will think Alex is a slut for dating many men. What a load of crap! It really has nothing to do with Alex or Aaron; it's all about sneaky and caniving gold-diggers fighting that made The Bachelor entertaining. I'll watch this show and give it a chance, but I can just imagine the post-dismissal interviews:

Man: "Dude. That sucks. Thought I'd get to bang her. Oh well ... where's my Playstation?"

Woman: (crying hysterically) "Oh my God ... he was the man of my dreams. I know I only met him yesterday, but I was already picturing our kids. I don't know how I can go on. My life is meaningless. I swear ... I swear to God ... I'm going to kill the bitch that he ends up choosing."

It's just different, and it has little to do with double standards, and everything to do with the difference in male and female emotional reactions. Even if the chicks weren't smoking hot, watching a bunch of women fight over a man will always be more entertaining than watching a bunch of guys sit around drinking beer. I could be wrong, and these guys could be as insane as the women on The Bachelor, but I doubt it.

das
Old 01-08-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give it a shot.

I've argued with people as well that "claim" the Bachelor, Bachelorette, Joe Millionare, etc is about find LOVE and the proccess. OFCOURSE it's NOT.
It's to draw ratings, about "dismissing" people, the contest, the conniving and backstabbing, and lying, and looking like a fool.

That's what is entertaining.

And if ratings are lower for this it's more likely because of what das says, It's JUST DIFFERENT.
yeah, there is some (small) T and A factore with Joe and Bachelor that isn't here.

But overall, if there is all the drama from the other shows in this one viewers will tune in.

I think it'll be interesting, to see how the guys handle the situation. If they'll try to focus on themselves, or just subtly trash the other guys, or publicly outspoken against others.
Old 01-08-03, 01:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
in the process of watching Alex land her man
Alex? Wasn't he the guy from the first one.
Old 01-08-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, the bachelette is Trista Rehn. They are all blurring together!
Old 01-08-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Sorry, the bachelette is Trista Rehn. They are all blurring together!

I'll be watching too if only for the dismissals. Altho, next week will be tough when Angel comes back on.
Old 01-08-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
No.... saving my Reality TV Eyes for tomorrow's Surreal Life
Old 01-08-03, 05:23 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
any pics of this Bachelorette ?
Old 01-08-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Original Desmond
any pics of this Bachelorette ?
http://abc.abcnews.go.com/primetime/...e/gallery.html
Old 01-08-03, 05:36 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
she's the chick from the first series!

i guess she's not too shabby
Old 01-08-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by tofu

I'll be watching too if only for the dismissals. Altho, next week will be tough when Angel comes back on.
Yeah, I love watching when the guys start crying and hyperventilating because they thought this was the girl of there dreams and then they get all catty and bitchy.......oh wait, guys don't do that.

No eye candy, no hilarious reactions to dismissal's...what's to watch?
Old 01-08-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did ANYONE agree with Alex's final pick over Trista? I'm wondering because I never watched it and I'm thinking, how the hell anyone turn down Trista if she has half-a-brain???
Old 01-08-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know Trista is hot, however, she doesn't look soo hot tonight...
Old 01-08-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
most unwatchable show i've ever seen
Old 01-08-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was really bad, as bad as I thought it *could* have turned out to be.
Old 01-09-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clemente
Yeah, I love watching when the guys start crying and hyperventilating because they thought this was the girl of there dreams and then they get all catty and bitchy.......oh wait, guys don't do that.

No eye candy, no hilarious reactions to dismissal's...what's to watch?
From some of the promos, it looks like there's gonna be some crying.
Old 01-09-03, 12:16 AM
Banned

I watched part of it. The guys all had very well paying jobs. I also noticed that there one African American & one Asian American. The vast majority of the men were white. If we are to have reality shows,should'nt we all diffrent types of guys with different types of incomes(not just these high paying jobs).

I doubt I will be turning in to watch .
Old 01-09-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wouldn't it have been funny if "Joe Millionaire" Evan Mariott showed up on this show?

I just thought it was so ludicrous for Trista to be in the house with all 25 of these would-be suitors trying to make chit-chat and somehow figure out who she was jiving with amongst them. Talk about overload on superficiality.

I predict Bob will get a showbiz career (maybe short-lived one) out of the show. The guy who gave her the bracelet is exactly the kind of guy I don't really admire (and for her to go for that "type", well, I am not finding much attractive about Trista on the inside in the early go around).
Old 01-09-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the upcoming previews at the end they should that singer from Tennessee crying in the limo..Does that mean he didn`t get a rose??

They basically showed who the final four were already looks like she fell for the bracelet guy
Old 01-09-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i didn't watch this but i did watch the interview she did in maxim.
Old 01-09-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I taped it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I saw the first couple of minutes last night, and I couldn't believe how freakin' hot that chick is. She is a thousand times hotter than any of the golddiggers on Joe Millionaire.
Old 01-09-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Aaron Amos •<HR SIZE=1>I watched part of it. The guys all had very well paying jobs. I also noticed that there one African American & one Asian American. The vast majority of the men were white. If we are to have reality shows,should'nt we all diffrent types of guys with different types of incomes(not just these high paying jobs).

I doubt I will be turning in to watch .
<HR SIZE=1>

Don't know why you assume they all have high paying jobs. I recall three fire fighters, a school teacher, and a bunch of generic jobs like "sales" or "self-employed." There was also a guy from Hawaii and more than a couple guys that clearly came from mixed heritage like that Greg guy. Considering she gave a detailed profile of the type of man she was interested in, it seemed like a relatively diverse group of guys.

das
Old 01-09-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
I recorded it but I did flip to it during West Wing commercials. Trista really looked good last night - what a great dress!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.