Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone see dog soldiers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

anyone see dog soldiers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 03:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone see dog soldiers?

This movie looks awesome from reading the box. it compares itself to evil dead, aliens, and predator but I didn't think it was better than any of those movies. Well maybe evil dead 1 but not 2. It takes the first half of the movie before it really gets going and through out the whole thing its just a lot of cussing (which isn't even used well) what do you think of this movie?

Chris
Old 01-06-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Have read a lot of "hype" (if you can hype an indie werewolf movie from Britain) but have yet to pick it up. Will probably need to watch my copies of The Fog and Fulci's The Black Cat before I need to satiate my appetite for horror.
Old 01-06-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a big horror fan, so take this with a grain of salt; I loved it. Sure, it had a bit cheeze on top, but a good scare flick. Comparable to Ameican Werewolf in London, without as much humor.
Old 01-07-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
I love it!! Easily one of the BEST Werewolf movies ever made and that is saying alot!! The acting is very good in it, that is one of the things that makes it very good. Not some cheesy teenage slasher type picture.
Old 01-07-03, 09:57 AM

I enjoyed it as well. It takes a few minutes to get used to the British accents thought. For a low budget movie it was done extremely well. I wouldn't quite rank it as high as american werewolf in london or silver bullit, but it is a solid flick and definitely worth a look.
Old 01-07-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I liked it too. It's actually more of a solider movie with werewolves in it than a werewolf flick.
Old 01-07-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 251 Posts
I picked this up as a blind buy and I was glad I did. Very enjoyable with some inventive moments, fine performances and no CGI ( which would have hurt this film ie:American Werewolf in Paris). I can't believe that no studio picked this up for theaterical distribution here in the U.S, especially seeing all the crap that makes it's way into the theaters.

They're going to make a Dog Soldiers 2. Don't know how that will be, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 01-07-03, 02:19 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rented this one a while back and was pleasantly surprised at how much myself (and my friend) enjoyed it. I probably would have never seen it had I not read about it from one of the reviewers here at DVDTalk.

-BT

Rent it at least.
Old 03-14-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just caught this one tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. It does take a little while to get moving, but once it does, it's pretty well done. Worth seeing for the intense last 10 minutes alone.

Old 03-15-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I can say is... someone give that director a budget. If he can make THAT good a film out of cinema's equivalent of table scraps, imagine what he can do with more.

I hope Dog Soldiers 2 will take a course of action like The Road Warrior - a film in itself that doesn't necessarily forget the film it's continuing from.
Old 03-15-03, 03:09 AM

I really enjoyed this movie. It was a blind buy for me and one of the more pleasant suprises in my collection.
Old 03-15-03, 09:22 PM

I also rented this after reading this thread and seeing it listed in the Cineschlock best-of 2002 list. As someone who's not the biggest horror fan, I really enjoyed it. There are plenty of moments which reminded me of various other horror classics, but I saw it more as homages than blatant ripoffs.

I wish there were more movies like this in the states instead of what passes for action these days.
Old 03-16-03, 12:20 AM

Fun. But it seemed the dialogue was not that loud and had to turn up the volume. And the accent did take getting use to.