Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Heat vs. LotR

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat vs. LotR

I know this is a strange comparison, but it occured to me one day whilst I was talking with a friend of mine. She is hooked on LotR.
I told her, "You know, there are better movies out there."
She asked me "Like what?!?"
So I replied "Heat"

I personally think Heat is better than FotR, but how about you guys?
Which do you personally feel is better?
Old 01-06-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is like, 1000x better than lotr, d00d.

Old 01-06-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Fargo is way better than Barbershop.
Old 01-06-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I'll agree with the absurdity of the direct comparison, I will say this. While both are fantastic, if I made a Top 10/20 list of the greatest films of all time, it's an almost certainty that Heat would make my list; however, FotR would not.

In a sense, one could interpret that to mean I think one is better than the other, but the apples and oranges comparison is so significant that I wouldn't dare make a direct comparison between the two.

das
Old 01-06-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Heat vs. LotR

Originally posted by Parcher
...I personally think Heat is better...
I have to agree with this statement.
Old 01-06-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wow, what an awful comparison. Why not compare LOTR with the Godfather series or hell... Star Wars.
Old 01-06-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dare! I dare!

You've made me search for similarities and about the only one I can honestly claim is that both films seek to be wholly immersive into their respective worlds. Of course Jackson's Middle Earth, quantitavely, dwarfs Mann's Los Angeles, but qualitatively the two films bear resemblences.

First in their treatment of characters, both have an hierarchy of players that range from complete realizations to slight hints of actual characterizations. Meaning that each has a relatively large cast but the focus is much narrower.

Second is the story arc. Jackson is using three films, where Mann keeps his to one piece. However, looking at the progression of the Lord of the Rings trilogy it seems that the middle piece, The Two Towers, is the action-oriented centerpiece that provides a link between the introduction of the first and the conclusion of the third. Heat also features an action oriented "middle climax" that the story revolves around, but is really just a stop-over on a greater procession. (Edited to note: I haven't read the books so please refute me if I'm mistaken about the direction the trilogy takes in the final part.)

Also, I can go into how the narrative strands in both endeavors get fractured and are thusly united, but that may be stretching.

And therefore my opinion? On my standards above, I think I lean towards Heat which may have some more subtlety and maturity when constructing its world. But this is something I may sway on depending on my mood (and the fact that the Rings trilogy is not complete yet).

But for a direct comparison between Heat and just Fellowship of the Ring? Heat wins because of better direction and editing.
Old 01-06-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Beg to differ... FOTR is a better film than Heat but to each his own... Silly comparison though IMHO. And yes, almost every film has a film that is better... You can make that statement for any film... 2001: A Space Odyssey excluded of course. We all have a favorite film, if her fave is FOTR then so what? It's better than The Cable Guy or some such nonsense...
Old 01-06-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Johnny Zhivago •<HR SIZE=1>It's better than The Cable Guy or some such nonsense... <HR SIZE=1>

Careful there, killer. Expect a "The Cable Guy vs. LotR" thread shortly.

das
Old 01-06-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
I enjoyed Heat, it's a very good film, but I felt it was about 1/2 hour too long and somewhat unoriginal (master cop versus master crook). I would rate LOTR higher.
Old 01-06-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you look at what each of the directors have achieved, Mann achieved more.
Jackson adapted a book. Mann wrote the "book".
You say Heat is unoriginal because of the master cop verus master crook?
How about LotR.....
Good versus Evil. Man versus Evil.
On that level, they are both evenly original, or unoriginal. I wouldn't judge the originality by saying it's master cop versus master crook, because LotR is not much different.
However, I am interested in hearing another reason that Heat shouldn't be original, as I personally think it is, and so is LotR.
Old 01-06-03, 03:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Both films are remakes. Other than that, not much similarity.
Old 01-06-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Apples and Oranges dude.
Old 01-06-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Johnny Zhivago •<HR SIZE=1>It's better than The Cable Guy or some such nonsense... <HR SIZE=1>

Careful there, killer. Expect a "The Cable Guy vs. LotR" thread shortly.

das
I think the Cable Guy would have been much better with a CG Jim Carry.

I'd pick LOTR every day of the week although I think Heat was great too.
Old 01-06-03, 04:36 PM

I think In the Mood for Love is better than LotR...
Old 01-06-03, 04:38 PM

But LotR is better than Heat...
Old 01-06-03, 04:40 PM

I found Heat to be a snooze, personally.
Old 01-06-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Inverse
I found Heat to be a snooze, personally.
I agree. I thought it was very poorly made. It seemed more of an attempt to slam a bunch of actors together (Hell, I even knew the freaking extras name). I know LOTR has many big name actors in it but the story doesn't seem to be: MCKELLAN------LEE together for the first time, much like Heat was. I had trouble finishing it. Action was way way way way way overrated. Best Shootout Ever???? Hardly.
Old 01-06-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Heat is incredibly overrated IMHO. Both Pacino and DeNiro have done MUCH better work (Pacino in "Insomnia" and "The Insider" just to name two more recent movies; DeNiro I'll admit hasn't done much good lately). It's a better-than-average cops movie with decent performances, a couple great action scenes but a movie that's WAY longer than it needs to be. If it weren't hyped as "DeNiro and Pacino" it wouldn't even be a footnote now.

Of course, I'd much rather watch a sweeping epic fantasy with the incredible vision of Jackson and Tolkien behind it rather than see DeNiro and Pacino *share coffee!* *in a diner!* *and glower menacingly at each other!!** But diffrn't strokes for diffr'nt folks, I guess....

Last edited by The Antipodean; 01-06-03 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 05:24 PM

Although you really can't compare the two, I prefer Heat just for the scene with Deniro and Pacino in the cafe. You will probably never see these two together in a film again.

Why would you say this movie was poorly made?

Name a better shootout. And don't try to name some sci-fi or CGI filled movie. And war-movies don't count either.
Old 01-06-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gross@iastate
Name a better shootout. And don't try to name some sci-fi or CGI filled movie. And war-movies don't count either.
The Wild Bunch.
Old 01-06-03, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Heat is incredibly overrated IMHO. Both Pacino and DeNiro have done MUCH better work (Pacino in "Insomnia" and "The Insider" just to name two more recent movies; DeNiro I'll admit hasn't done much good lately). It's a better-than-average cops movie with decent performances, a couple great action scenes but a movie that's WAY longer than it needs to be. If it weren't hyped as "DeNiro and Pacino" it wouldn't even be a footnote now.

Of course, I'd much rather watch a sweeping epic fantasy with the incredible vision of Jackson and Tolkien behind it rather than see DeNiro and Pacino *share coffee!* *in a diner!* *and glower menacingly at each other!!** But diffrn't strokes for diffr'nt folks, I guess....
Couldn't agree more. The problem with Heat was a bunch of BS characters that didnt mean *****. There was poor character developement for useless characters ie Jon Voight, dude that works at diner then is the getaway driver, Ashley Judd, blah blah. I could go on forever. Anyway there are better movies than FOTR but Heat isn't one of them. You should of said Leon The Professional.
Old 01-06-03, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gross@iastate

Ok, name a better snowboarding down a mountain during an avalanche scene, that doesn't make it a good movie!
Old 01-06-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, they're both long as hell. Heat would have benefitted from some edits here and there, while Tolkien fanboys only clamor for more. More, I say! ... I mean, 4 DVDs?? And Heat is a snapper? ... Both films are good, I'm a bit more of a Michael Mann fan though. I love Thief, now that last shootout is the best.
Old 01-07-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the killer has a better shootout. Hard boiled, better tommorow..shall I continue

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.