Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scarface - a discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scarface - a discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 01:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Scarface - a discussion

I watched my Scarface DVD over the weekend again and realized that there has never been a good discussion of this film here.

Anyway, let me say that Scarface is a decent film, nothing more - IMO of course.

Al Pacino's Tony Montana has become a cult symbol and a common figure on many college fraternity bedroom walls over the years. Why is this? Well besides the obvious observations of sex, drugs, money and violence - he has some pretty good one-liners.

The plot is rather simple - a man with nothing, rises to the top of the Cuban drug world only to have it all crashing down on him in the end. He seeked the American dream and achieved it any way he could.

Many criticisms of this movie is that it glorifies violence. People sometimes get violent movies confused with movies that glorify violence. This was a violent movie (as DePalma demonstrated by submitting it 3 times to the MPAA in order to get an R-rating), however it does not glorify it. If Montana had not been shot to death in the final bloodbath of an ending, then yes - this film could be argued that it glorifies violence. However, he got what was coming.

I will say that I found it to be a rather shallow 'reimage' of Paul Muni's Scarface - taking the title character and telling his story amidst the the Jimmy Carter-era Miami/Cuban crimewave.

In addition, I do wish that DePalma had not put his visual talent by the wayside while filming this. He admitted that he focused more on the story rather than on the visual appeal of the film. In my opinion, this hurt the film. One reason is that the story told would have been more effective had it some visual style. If DePalma does not use his visual talent, he is not using the skill that makes him a great director.

Lastly, I will say that my favorite characteristic of this film is the soundtrack/score - it is one of my all-time favorites.

Scarface is viewed as a modern classic on some circles while it is loathed in others.

What are your thoughts on Scarface?

Old 01-06-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thought is that on MTV cribs, every damn person has it on dvd. Which only add's fuel to the fire of it being a cult symbol. It was a decent movie and a really crappy dvd transfer
Old 01-06-03, 01:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
and a really crappy dvd transfer
Word - that thing is terrible!
Old 01-06-03, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
and a really crappy dvd transfer
Damn straight.

Scarface is one of the best movies i have seen.I'd say all the reasons why but i don't feel like it.
Old 01-07-03, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scarface is probably one of my all time favorite films (at least in the top 20 anyway). It's not that the film itself is amazing, but the performance by Al Pacino is! This is one of the greatest acting performances of all time IMO. Definitely Pacino's best! The character of Tony Montana is such a great one. I love his dialogue and his persona is so cool! DePalma obviously only focused on developing Pacino's character, but it so perfect, it makes up for the rest of the characters being very minor or secondary. Those are my thoughts....

"I said no women, no children....Now look at you!"
Old 01-07-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are they ever planning on re-doing this dvd? They gotta figure there is some interest in it. Especially with all the boots being sold on fleaBay.

"Zay hello to my leetle friend"
Old 01-07-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
When I was 20 or so, I thought this movie was really cool. The last time I watched it, I thought it was pretty cheesy and stupid. Sorry.

Al Pacino's accent to me sounded really fake, and just in general it seemed very dated to me. It may be that the 15 years or so between viewings built up my expectations too high, but I was very disappointed.
Old 01-07-03, 01:34 PM

For me, it's one of those "guilty pleasure" type flicks. It's got a pretty standard plot formula and, quite frankly, I find Pacino's performance kinda funny. It seems to me that he was just winging it and having some fun while totally going over the top.

I can fully understand why it's considered a cult classic....
Old 01-07-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I just have one question that's always bugged me.

When Tony was sitting by himself at the club, looking a little spaced out, what the heck was that act taking place on stage? Some kind of dancing pig man??? And even more bewildering was how the audience was really getting into it - like it was the most entertaining thing they've ever seen!

Maybe the gunmen missed Tony on purpose and were actually aiming for pig man - because I know I would be.
Old 01-07-03, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rennervision

Maybe the gunmen missed Tony on purpose and were actually aiming for pig man - because I know I would be.
Me too. As for what that act was,i don't know but i sure as crap liked it.
Old 01-07-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=scarface
Old 10-03-03, 03:19 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is so good about Scarface?

Having heard all the hypes about how the Scarface is one of the best films ever made every now and then, I rented the DVD and check it out for myself. I can see somewhat how this film may have been perceived as a great movie back in the 70's but I truly do not see the hype and to simply put this movie along with Natural Born Killer.

Please share some of your though as to why this film is indeed one of the best films ever. Thank You
Old 10-03-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its a great story of struggle to gain power, and then once you ahve it, how you can mess it up. GOing from nothing, to EVERYTHING, back to nothing. The performence Pacino does (not being Cuban) is amazing. Its just one of those movies that is a masterpeice. Some say its to Violent, some say its to long, but I think it is just about as perfect as can get.
Old 10-03-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love it....but usually dont sit around pinpointing why I love it. I just do. saw it in the theater during it's initial run and around 50 or 60 times since, I guess. I was a huge fan of Pacino...way before this film. that was reason #1 why I went to see it. I love film violence and films surrounding drug lords. dont know why....just do. essential for the library.
Old 10-03-03, 04:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: What is so good about Scarface?

Originally posted by SuperJim88
I can see somewhat how this film may have been perceived as a great movie back in the 70's
Only by time-travellers.
Old 10-03-03, 05:02 PM
Suspended

If you have to ask, why bother.
Old 10-03-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's a terrific movie (and I'm not from the 70's). There is something about it, the anti-hero that you route for. By all means, Tony (Pacino) has nothing goin' for him and he knows it. All he has is his word. He knows this. He also knows that, if someone like him is goin' to have the world and everything in it, then it has to be drastic. He makes those drastic moves and in the end, what does he want? He wants the wife, he can't have. The kid's he'll never have, because his life is too dangerous and his wife is a coke-head. He wants his sister to become something more than him. A decent human. He wants his mother to accept and love him. He can't have theese things, all because of his life style.
Old 10-03-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can see somewhat how this film may have been perceived as a great movie back in the 70's
Try 1983.

Last edited by Robert; 10-03-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 05:15 PM
Banned

Re: Re: What is so good about Scarface?

Originally posted by Robert
Try 1983.
Finally somebody said it. Scarface is an 80s film. There's 80s written all over it! Oh yeah the hype is mostly due to the overpaid African-Americans that worship the film and the fact that its finally out on DVD. When the Goodfellas Special Edition comes out on DVD they'll be plenty of well-deserved hype surrounding it as well. Scarface is pretty damn good not great but good.
Old 10-03-03, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Ok Ok 1983..... Big deal......

I wanted to find out why is it so good, not when was it released.
Old 10-03-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

all i know is now i know where espn got: "say HAH-LOW to mah lil' fren!"
Old 10-03-03, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
If you have to ask, why bother.
If you got no insight to share, why post?
Old 10-03-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Man, this film has to be the best video game to movie adaptation. They nailed GTA:Vice city so perfectly! How did they manage to make Al Pacino look so young and why did they release it directly to dvd?
Old 10-03-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You'll be able to appreciate MTV Cribs more once you've seen it.
Old 10-03-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having heard all the hypes about how the Scarface is one of the best films ever made every now and then, I rented the DVD and check it out for myself. I can see somewhat how this film may have been perceived as a great movie back in the 70's but I truly do not see the hype and to simply put this movie along with Natural Born Killer.

Please share some of your though as to why this film is indeed one of the best films ever. Thank You
Your thoughts on Scarface AND NBK are exactly like mines. I felt Scarface was ok but near as good as most say. And as far as NBK, I thought it was absolutely horrid. I think SF is one of those "popular movies" that some (not all or most but some)people nearly force themselves to like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.