Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ian McKellen - Becoming King of the Nerds?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I love the films he's been in. He's a great actor that I always look forward to seeing on the screen. He seems to be able to master everything; from Shakespeare to Saturday Night Live. When reading the following, keep in mind that I'm not ignoring Gods and Monsters, or any of his other performances. But come on...

Lord of the Rings - Gandalf
X-Men/X-Men 2 - Magneto
and to a lesser extent, the Upcoming Harry Potter Films - Dumbledore

I watch Fellowship of the Ring and X-Men frequently; they're two absolutly entertaining films. Don't ignore it though. You and I both know that these films attract a lot of the 'nerd' crowd.

Minus the horrific acting, I think McKellen could some day turn into a William Shatner figure. He could quite possible dethrone Shatner as the King of the Nerds. Before you know it, he'll be making appearances at Dungeons and Dragons tournaments.
Old 01-05-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How could you call his acting bad if last year he was nominated (and expected), to win the oscar for best supporting actor.
Old 01-05-03, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he's not in the harry potter movies.

and you owe him your allegiance!
Old 01-05-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
How could you call his acting bad if last year he was nominated (and expected), to win the oscar for best supporting actor.
When I said horrific, I was refering to Shatner, not McKellen.
Old 01-05-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by torrance
he's not in the harry potter movies.

and you owe him your allegiance!
He is now... He signed on to be Dumbledore in the new one; directed by the guy who directed Little Princess, and Y Tu Mama Tambien.
Old 01-05-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
He is now... He signed on to be Dumbledore in the new one;
Oh yeah? Show me.

He's the latest I've read
12:00pm ET, 3-January-03

Gambon Not Dumbledore?

A spokesman for Warner Brothers downplayed for SCI FI Wire recent reports that British actor Michael Gambon has been cast as Professor Dumbledore in the upcoming third Harry Potter film. "It's a rumor, and it's not confirmed," the spokesman said in an interview. The spokesman declined to offer further details.

Earlier this week, E! Online reported that Gambon was in line to take on the role originated by the late Richard Harris, who died in October, in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, based on the third of J.K. Rowling's best-selling fantasy novels. But other reports have disputed that story, with the studio denying that the casting has gone forward.
that's from scifi.com

BTW, Ian is not only king of the nerds, but the Gay community is also proud for his mainstream success... so he's their Queen too
Old 01-05-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
Oh yeah? Show me.

He's the latest I've read
that's from scifi.com

BTW, Ian is not only king of the nerds, but the Gay community is also proud for his mainstream success... so he's their Queen too
So..still no Dumbledore? How about Laurence Fishburn?
Old 01-05-03, 08:09 PM

I think Ian McKellen is an absolutely fantastic actor, but I just can't get past his being gay.

Let me clarify: I have no problem whatsoever with his being gay, nor with gay people. I have a problem with Mr. McKellen throwing it in everybody's face whenever he gets the chance!

There's mention of it on the EE DVD, and I was watching him on SNL the other day, and it kept coming up throughout the whole show.

Give me a break, please! I hate it when actors/actresses use their status for political gains, which always seem to be some screaming liberal viewpoint. Just let the actors act, let the politicians politic, and let the citizens vote.

[/rant]
Old 01-05-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That SNL episode was annoying in that the entire show was "Ian's gay"...laugh, it's so funny!
Old 01-06-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well you know what krunchyfrogg? Straight people throw their heterosexuality in my face every day! Now please don't get me wrong. I have no problem with straight people. I just wish they would not push their sexuality in my face everyday.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 01-06-03 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-06-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Well you know what krunchyfrogg? Straight people throw their heterosexuality in my face every day! Now please don't get me wrong. I have no problem with straight people. I just wish they would not push their sexuality in my face everyday.
Great burn, LiquidSky, great burn.

When I saw this thread, I just thought it was apt that someone would crown a gay man the "King of Nerds" - since "sciffy" fandom is so notoriously homophobic.

Personally I think Ian is a great role model. The matter-of-fact way that he had his boyfriend accompany him to last year's Oscars is just what middle America needs to see. Gay people are just like everyone else. The more middle America sees that - the better.
Old 01-06-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey grunter...thanx. I just wanted to make a point
Old 01-06-03, 10:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Let's be reasonable. As long as straight people act gay in public, I have no problem.
Old 01-06-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yikes, I didn't know Gandalf is gay.... now I know why he always wanted a bigger staff!
Old 01-06-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Let's be reasonable. As long as straight people act gay in public, I have no problem.
Starting with Mr. Gandolfini . . .

Old 01-06-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ian McKellan is amazing, I think he is BETTER than William Shatner in most respects, he has a great sensibility to his character.
Old 01-06-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by theneobez
Ian McKellan is amazing, I think he is BETTER than William Shatner in most respects, he has a great sensibility to his character.
You do realize you're going to hell for blaspheming The Shatner?

Get behind me, O Satan! Get behind me!

Old 01-06-03, 04:14 PM

I don't think it's right for heterosexuals to be pushing their ideas in people's faces either.

I just hate when people have an agenda, and it seems like Mr. McKellen most certainly does.
Old 01-06-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well guess what people...I'm 100% heterosexual, so get used to it!!! I'm here and I'm not queer, dammit!
Old 01-06-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Starting with Mr. Gandolfini . . .

Spoiler:
rent The Mexican
Old 01-06-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by krunchyfrogg
I think Ian McKellen is an absolutely fantastic actor, but I just can't get past his being gay.

Let me clarify: I have no problem whatsoever with his being gay, nor with gay people. I have a problem with Mr. McKellen throwing it in everybody's face whenever he gets the chance!

There's mention of it on the EE DVD, and I was watching him on SNL the other day, and it kept coming up throughout the whole show.

Give me a break, please! I hate it when actors/actresses use their status for political gains, which always seem to be some screaming liberal viewpoint. Just let the actors act, let the politicians politic, and let the citizens vote.

[/rant]
So he isn't allowed to have a life off of the screen or out of the studio? People aren't what they do. Whatever your job is, I'm sure you aren't doing it 24/7, 365 days a year right? Actors have no choice but to live their lives in the public eye, so it isn't as if he could hide the fact that he is gay... and he shouldn't have to anyway.

-CM-
Old 01-06-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Spoiler:
rent The Mexican
Trust me - I've seen it. Opening night at the multiplex - the lure of a gay Gandolfini in a goatee was simply too much for me.

I have - how you say? - really big, BIG issues with that film.

Not quite on the level of my perpetual "row" with "Ransom" (which I believe to be the biggest "steaming pile" Hollywood ever shat out) - but BIG nevertheless.

For starters: Why must the gay characters always be sacrificed for the happiness of the catalog-cute, young, would-be-married heterosexual couple? Every single ****ing time.

But I won't delve too deeply into that topic here . . . as it's neither the time nor the place . . .

grunter counts to ten and breathes deeply.

Old 01-06-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I find Ian's gayness no big deal.

I love his acting and I love his presence onscreen. I loved him in "GOD AND MONSTERS"and I love him as GANDALF. At first I though he was to "HIGH END" for roles like MAGNETO in "X-MEN".
But after seeing him play the role I don't think anyone else can do it.

The first time I ever saw this man it was in "AND THE BAND PLAYED ON" and he has been one of my favorite actors since.

Ian Mckellen
Old 01-06-03, 09:00 PM

So he isn't allowed to have a life off of the screen or out of the studio? People aren't what they do. Whatever your job is, I'm sure you aren't doing it 24/7, 365 days a year right? Actors have no choice but to live their lives in the public eye, so it isn't as if he could hide the fact that he is gay... and he shouldn't have to anyway.

-CM-
I don't find Ian McKellen being gay a big deal at all.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think he should be wasting time in the EE Commentary of LotR talking about it (when it's unnecesarry), as well as wasting a bunch of time during SNL with it.

Again, I don't have any problem with his sexual orientation. I just wish he wouldn't make an issue of it. You don't see all the heterosexual actors looking for places to say that they are.
Old 01-06-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by krunchyfrogg
Again, I don't have any problem with his sexual orientation. I just wish he wouldn't make an issue of it. You don't see all the heterosexual actors looking for places to say that they are.
Not all, but certainly Kevin Spacey

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.