Reload this Page >

EGM Quarterman's Gossip...Upcoming GameCube games to be cancelled

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EGM Quarterman's Gossip...Upcoming GameCube games to be cancelled

Old 01-04-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGM Quaterman's Gossip...Upcoming GameCube releases being cancelled

In the new Electronic Gaming Monthy ( the one with the Sims featured on the cover) there's an item in Quarterman's Gossip section that says many developers are cancelling upcoming GameCube releases and favoring X-Box and PS2 versions. This news byte went on to state that the reason being is because many people are buying the huge blockbuster releases and not picking up anything else. It went on to say that first party support for GameCube would remain strong.

Though Nintendo has stated that it was not going to abandon it's hardware anytime soon, this doesn't look good for the Cube.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 01-04-03 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-04-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Were any specific games or developers mentioned, or were they just talking out of their asses?
Old 01-04-03, 10:08 PM
Banned

I guess mostly sports games. I think Sega said they won't release the 2k4 series on the Gamecube.
Old 01-04-03, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by evenflowddt
I guess mostly sports games. I think Sega said they won't release the 2k4 series on the Gamecube.
That sucks, since I really enjoyed NFL 2K3. That should last me couple of years at least.
Old 01-04-03, 10:13 PM

The same thing happened in the N64 days...The 3rd party developers started dropping like flies. This really isn't good, but from what I have read, GC owners just aren't buying anything but the extremely few 1st party games there are anyway. Something like 20% of GC's software sales are 3rd party games. OUCH.
Old 01-04-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abandon its hardware? The next gen nintendo console is already a sure thing. Theyve already invested heavily in it. Non-news. Accurate or not, it doesnt matter at this point.
Old 01-04-03, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by drbuns
The same thing happened in the N64 days...The 3rd party developers started dropping like flies. This really isn't good, but from what I have read, GC owners just aren't buying anything but the extremely few 1st party games there are anyway. Something like 20% of GC's software sales are 3rd party games. OUCH.
Something like 30-40% of my GC games are made by Sega, and there are several other third party games in my collection as well. I love first party Nintendo games as much as anyone, but I'd hate to see third party support disappear.
Old 01-04-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by focker
Were any specific games or developers mentioned, or were they just talking out of their asses?
They weren't specific at all. It could be possible that alot of the titles being cancelled are still in the development stage. But that's only speculation on my part.
Old 01-04-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So we won't be getting crap loads of crappy games? Oh no!

First off, it wasn't a "news bite" it is the Quaterman section, a RUMOR section, not news. In my experience (over 5 years)reading the "Q-man" he rarely has anything positive to say about Nintendo. In general most of his rumors turn out to be false. I could and do believe this to be partially true however.

Obviously this is bad news in any light if it were true, (it limits choice) but if as a cube owner I'm not to worried. The GC already has nearly 200 games out for it, it's not doing to bad. If some titles get canned because Cube owners demand higher quality oh well. The good games will still come because companies know they will sell really well.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 01-04-03 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-04-03, 10:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Focker, if you are a big Sega guy, you'd probably want to get one of the other systems to complement the GCN. Its biggest stength is as a second console.
Old 01-04-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
So we won't be getting crap loads of crappy games? Oh no!

First off, it wasn't a "news bite" it is the Quaterman section, a RUMOR section, not news. In my experience (over 5 years)reading the "Q-man" he rarely has anything positive to say about Nintendo.

Obviously this is bad news in any light if it were true, (it limits choice) but if as a cube owner I'm not to worried. The GC already has nearly 200 game out for it, it's not doing to bad. If some titles get canned because Cube owners demand higher quality oh well. The good games will still come because companies know they will sell really well.
Okay that was negligence on my part. When you're scanning a magazine at Barnes and Noble you only remember certain parts.

My bad.
Old 01-04-03, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Okay that was negligence on my part. When you're scanning a magazine at Barnes and Noble you only remember certain parts.

My bad.
Not a problem, but perhaps you could change your thread at the top so people that are "scanning" this thread don't get false information.
Old 01-04-03, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Focker, if you are a big Sega guy, you'd probably want to get one of the other systems to complement the GCN. Its biggest stength is as a second console.
I guess I never realized how much I do like Sega. I just went and counted and Sega actually developed half of my games!

Most of them are GC exclusives though and there aren't a ton of Sega exclusives on other systems that I'm interested in. I wouldn't mind picking up a second system if there's another price drop, but there just aren't any must-have games for me on either Xbox or PS2. Maybe I should pick up a used Dreamcast somewhere. I wouldn't mind having one of those at all.
Old 01-04-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only game I cant play on my PC, Box or Cube is VF4.
Old 01-04-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Not a problem, but perhaps you could change your thread at the top so people that are "scanning" this thread don't get false information.
I was able to edit the subject line but how the heck do you edit the thread title?? AAAAARRRGGGG!!

A little help would be appreciated!
Old 01-04-03, 10:54 PM

I don't think you can unless you "Report this post to a moderator" on the bottem and ask them to change it.

I was just refering to the actual post info, but that would be even better.

I can see a bunch on high school kids going to class on Monday "I read there won't be any more gamecube game starting febuary."
Old 01-04-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Done. The thread title should be changed soon.
Old 01-04-03, 11:04 PM
zig

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. When it comes to consoles, I've always owned just Nintendo systems. And I've always bought (for the most part) the 1st or 2nd party Nintendo games, and nothing else. I have no need for 200 crappy 3rd party games, Nintendo alone can and has kept me satisfied for years. I don't see why this would be a big problem for Nintendo, as long as there are plenty of people like me(and looking at sales, it seems that there are).
Old 01-04-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Well, it might be a problem for Nintendo if most third party companies drop out. They do make excellent first party titles (though there seems to be some debate about some recent titles), but these games are few and far between. Without excellent (and exclusive) third party titles, software sales would lag enough to cause serious concerns, since that's where the money is made (3rd party companies paying licensing fees, etc.)

Also, lack of games really plays on the public's perception of how well a system is doing, and can kill sales. That's why to this day, you'll find people arguing about how well the N64 did... the lack of 3rd party support compared to the PS1 made it look like an abject failure.

I can see people trying to make a game that would be on all three systems forgoing the gamecube. It seems like there's already a bit of trouble with 3rd party ports coming significantly after the PS2 and Xbox version, and if a lot of Gamecube owners, like me, own more than one system, they'll probably get the version that came out first or has a controller more suited to gameplay. I love the Gamecube controller, but it does take some getting used to. Games developed for use with the PS2 controller often seem awkward with the Gamecube one. However, I'm fairly sure that the Gamecube exclusives will contine to come out and be hot sellers. The Resident Evil series is not 1st party, but is most likely making Capcom a lot of money. Ditto for a lot of Sega's Gamecube exclusives, like Super Monkey Ball and Sonic.
Old 01-05-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sports games seem to be the things getting cut for this coming year. EA has already marked down all their 2003 sports titles and may not make any 2004 game available for the Cube, but I would be surprised if Madden didn't get a Cube release since it sells fairly well on every system.

Sega has already said no 2K4 games for the Cube, but I won't be surprised if there are no 2K4 games from Sega period. They got killed by EA. Visual Concepts going to Sony rumor may turn out to be true and then the 2K4 games would be PS2 exclusive replacing the horrible 989 Studios.

There may be some other stuff getting cancelled as well, but most of it is probably minor stuff GameCube owners wouldn't have bought anyway.

Lets face reality, the reason third party games do bad on the Cube is Nintendo taking most of our money with first and second party releases. Nintendo is the biggest thing hurting the sales of third party games.

Last edited by darkside; 01-05-03 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-05-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quartermann = unreliable liar.

The problem with third party software on the Cube is that there aren't many compelling exclusives and the multi-platform games are often better on the other consoles. I would hope that crap like Konami's Disney Sports doesn't sell. Most gamers are teens - adults, not three year olds despite what third party companies seem to think.

Has Sega actually lost money on the 2k3 games or did they just fail to meet expectations?
Old 01-05-03, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
The problem with third party software on the Cube is that there aren't many compelling exclusives and the multi-platform games are often better on the other consoles. I would hope that crap like Konami's Disney Sports doesn't sell. Most gamers are teens - adults, not three year olds despite what third party companies seem to think.
I don't think that is the problem. True there are only a handful of compelling exclusives, but even they didn't sell well. Eternal Darkness got extremely good reviews from most people and yet it sold poorly for a game rated that high.
Old 01-05-03, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sega apparently lost big money on NFL 2K3 from what I've read. I don't know about NBA, NHL, or the College games from a profit standpoint, but all have been outsold big time by EA.
Old 01-05-03, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NBA2K was not outsold.
But EA's strongest challenge to date comes from Sega. Two years after ditching its failed Dreamcast console to focus on software, Sega has thrown its marketing heft behind its 2K3 line of sports games - most significantly basketball, where Sega outsold EA last year, and football, where, despite Sega's efforts, EA's Madden still dominates the way the Steelers ruled the NFL in the '70s. And now Sega Sports is taking a page from the EA playbook, spending $35 million on advertising for its new 2K3 football and basketball titles. The result: an EA-Sega branding war that will make the Nike-Reebok clash seem like a scrimmage.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...ic=&topic_set=
Old 01-05-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
NBA2K was not outsold.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...ic=&topic_set=
Wasn't 100% sure about the Basketball war this year. All I noticed was EGMs top games of October. Live was way ahead of NBA2K3 on that list. NBA 2K3 is Sega's premier sports title so hopefully it did well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.