Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When CGI is just "lazy" film making

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, after watching the trailer for “Just Married” for the umpteenth time I finally got fed up enough to post. I swear that is a CGI cockroach running up Ashton’s neck in one scene. Now if I’m wrong, slap me down. Regardless it brings me to my point. It just seems lazy to use CGI in scenes like these. How hard would it be to find a real cockroach for god’s sake? It seems like directors are opting for this more and more. I can think of several recent examples. I’m not saying CGI should not be used, there are definitely times when it ADDS to the realism, but when the CGI becomes intrusive... that’s when I object.
Old 01-04-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the actors didn't want roaches on them?
Old 01-04-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wouldn't it be kinda hard to make a roach run up someones neck with bright lights all around?
Old 01-04-03, 11:58 AM
Cool New Member

If I were Kutcher, I'd opt for the CGI roach too.

But special effects were looking pretty poorly at times these past few years. I remember cringing at the ridiculously fake-looking CGI shots in Spiderman, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, Men In Black 2... but I feel like it was all because of the same thing: when they'd CGI a human.

I might not remember correctly but..

Spiderman: when he's leaping from building to building? or something of that sort.

Harry Potter 1/MIB2: I think they're both on top of a monster and it looks like a computer animation game.

I just feel like they haven't been trying as hard. The special effects that never made me think twice about whether it's real is Jurassic Park.

Actually, there was a spot on TV for Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and it started with footage from the movie and then it cut to action shots...from the video game. But I had no idea. And I almost broke down. "THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR! IT LOOKS LIKE A VIDEO GAME! GOD, WHY?" before they showed familiar video game logos and the packaging and when it's available in stores.

But we don't have to tell anyone about that..
Old 01-04-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
ok.. hmmm.. let me think. $5000 for a real trained Madagascar hissing roach and bug wrangler for one day OR $100,000 for a CG Madagascar hissing roach, 1-2 weeks of modeling, animating, match moving, texturing, lighting, and rendering.

i don't think because it was CG (i don't think it is) it should be called 'lazy'. rather it's 'convenient'. the issues always come down to time and money. say they did get the bug wrangler and it's real.. not only do they have to pay for the bug, the wrangler, but they have to pay for the crew, the sets, etc. and if they don't get the shot the first time around, they pay OT or they pay for another day. if i were director, using a real bug would probably get me the best performance from an actor. but if the director felt that they didn't or couldn't get the shot they wanted... fixing it in post is the better option that to keep trying to use the live bug.
Old 01-04-03, 01:41 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Heck, I never noticed that it was fake.
Old 01-04-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Ashton Kutcher was the CGI and the roach was real.
Old 01-04-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
I thought Ashton Kutcher was the CGI and the roach was real.
If only ...
Old 01-04-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with the original poster. The first time I saw that trailer, I made this face upon seeing the CGI cockroach:

There have been numerous movies with bugs, including cockroaches, crawling on people without the "benefit" of CGI. When I see something like this it immediately takes me out of the movie, which is the greatest sin a filmmaker can commit.
Old 01-04-03, 03:03 PM
Banned

Attak of the Clones was all about CGI and people went to go see that in droves.

I am looking forward to just Married. If its as good as Dude Wheres my Car, it should be fun, CGI cockroach or not.
Old 01-04-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cockroach actors demand ridiculous fees. I thought everyone knew that.
Old 01-04-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The nerve....a actor who doesn't want a fat juicy cockroach running across his neck

For the person who said something about spiderman jumping from roof to roof...I totally agree with you. They could have filmed that much better. The other night I was watching the Matrix and I wondered why spiderman didn't go long those lines of jumping from roof top to roof top. Oh well
Old 01-04-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You’re right, I wouldn't want a real cockroach running on me either... but I would do it if that's what the script called for. Look how much other actors have sacrificed for realism in movies (Raging Bull and CastAway come quickly to mind – very different situations but it shows the dedication acting takes).

I'm not saying that CGI shouldn't have been used. LOTR and AOTC need it in some instances, and I loved Spiderman even though I knew it was CGI I was looking at. I just don't think in this case it was necessary.

There's a funny bit in the outtakes from Jay and Silent Bob, where Kevin Smith says, "Hell, let's just CGI a sheep." Nothing against Smith but I think that attitude is becoming more and more prevalent.
Old 01-04-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, looking at the scene myself (and wondering why this is even being released in theaters), Brittany Murphy's character goes nuts when she sees the roach, which just stays there on Kutcher's neck. Who knows how long this hilarity ensues? Maybe this goes on for like a minute or two, and it was just hard to get that roach to stay there for the duration of the scene.
Old 01-04-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

all those worms and milipedes and goat's brain on Fear Factor? CGI!
Old 01-05-03, 01:58 PM
Banned

And like the CGI table in A Beautiful Mind, what Crowe wasn't strong enough to pick a table up and throw in through a window?
Old 01-05-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew exactly what this was going to be about before even opening the thread. That CGI roach drives me nuts too... it looks extremely fake, mainly in the way it runs across his neck as if it were a flat surface, without any texture.

I don't have a problem with CGI. Just (as DeputyDave says) "lazy" CGI that is done quickly to save time and $$$, but looks like crap.
Old 01-05-03, 09:09 PM
Needs to provide a working email

After seeing the commercial several more times, I STILL think that the roach is real.
Old 01-05-03, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lesterlong
And like the CGI table in A Beautiful Mind, what Crowe wasn't strong enough to pick a table up and throw in through a window?
That table was CGI!? Was it on the commentary on the DVD?
Old 01-06-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
I remember the days when actors would eat live roaches!! Okay it was only one film, Vampire's Kiss, but still...
Old 01-06-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate it when CGI is overused. There used to be a time when you'd watch a movie and be impressed. You'd really sit there and think, "How did they do that?!?!" Now, you know it's CGI and usually you sit there thinking, "Why did they do CGI for that, and don't they realize how awful it looks?!?!"
Old 01-06-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jaymole
I remember the days when actors would eat live roaches!! Okay it was only one film, Vampire's Kiss, but still...
Yeah, but to be fair, that was back when Nicholas Cage was still acting . . . and not just collecting checks for punching in at the film lot . . .
Old 01-06-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the Signs DVD, M Night talks about how he hates CGI, and tries to avoid it at all possible costs, but had to put a CGI alien in Signs, and he said it took twice as many people and twice the time to do that CGI alien than if they got an actor in a suit. So is it really "lazy" when it takes twice the work to get it done? People seem to assume it's so freaking easy to do CGI. If it's so easy, make your own movies and show us how it should be done. Until then, leave the directors alone.
Old 01-06-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DeputyDave
You’re right, I wouldn't want a real cockroach running on me either... but I would do it if that's what the script called for. Look how much other actors have sacrificed for realism in movies (Raging Bull and CastAway come quickly to mind – very different situations but it shows the dedication acting takes).
Are you seriously comparing the acting dedication of Ashton Kutcher to Hanks and De Niro?

Anyway, methinks Kutcher is a lot more of a prima donna "beautiful actor" than someone willing to sacrifice health and body for a role. But then again, I'm not sure how much I would sacrifice for Just Married either.
Old 01-06-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just want to see the movie. That scene is pretty funny, and no, I never thought that the roach was fake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.