Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscountDVD Sucks!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DeepDiscountDVD Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeepDiscountDVD Sucks!

My GF first tried to order a DVD for Xmas for her sister on Dec. 10th, they said it was in stock on their site. After she ordered it, the status mysteriously changed to 'out of stock' yet they did nothing to notify her of this. Fortunately she went back and checked her order status and had to call and cancel.

She also ordered an Xmas gift for me on Dec 10th. SUPPOSEDLY shipped on Dec. 19th, but still has not arrived. Hmm, at this point I don't even want it anymore, Xmas is waaay over...

Old news for many of you perhaps, but this company sucks. Purchase from them at your own peril...
Old 01-03-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Regarding the 'instock' thing, I've had Amazon jack me around like that too. Notifying the customer is definitely a good thing, but DDD isn't alone in running out of stock between order and ship dates.
Did she pay for the upgraded shipping from DDD? I ask because I ordered something from DDD's sister company, Deep Discount CD, that shipped on 12/09/02; it arrived on 12/24/02 using Media Mail. Media Mail can take up to 5-12 days, and mine took exactly 12 shipping days, which wasn't too bad over a busy Christmas mailing season. Shipping on the 19th makes Jan 8th, i think, 12 shipping days, so you're still ahead of the deadline. If they shipped it Priority, then that is a little different.
I don't want to be argumentative, just saying I've had different experiences from them. They were very helpful when I wanted to cancel an order [ordered item 12/1, found it cheaper @ Amazon, cancelled DDCD's order, Amazon made me mad, I reordered from DDCD after they lowered the price four bucks.]
But as always, YMMV, and perception is always key.
Old 01-03-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, Best Buy sucks as well, since the same thing happened to me. I ordered the saturday before christmas from amazon.com, and it arrived on christmas eve (used one day shipping). Also, whenever using any site that has "free shipping", don't use it because they take twice as long. Use whatever is after that, and the product should ship much faster.
Old 01-03-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heh, you guys are right about the 'free' shipping, but if it hadn't been for the 'free shipping' the price wouldn't have been competetive and she may as well have bought it elsewhere. Which is what will happen in the future.
Old 01-03-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I find worth while to order at deep discount are the A&E box sets, which are generally REALLY deep discounted. Other than that, their discounts on most of their other stock hasn't been so deep. You can find deals there, and the free shipping doesn't bother me. I can wait for my DVDs, it's no big deal to me. I have plenty of unwatched stuff in my collection to keep me busy.
Old 01-04-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DDD can kiss my @$$

DDD can kiss my ass ive been burned 3 times now, i will never ever ever ever use them again. I place DVD orders for $100-$200 at a time from these clowns. i order so many friggin DVDs that I accidentally ordered the same DVDs twice. I called them about 2 hours after placing the order to cancel 3 of the DVDs...they give me some BS that it's already prepped for shipping and I will have to wait and return them...fine whatever (kinda funny it took 4 more days to receive the shipping confirmation). So I finally get them like 4 weeks later and I return them at my expense, 3 weeks later it says "Returned in my order status." hmmmmmm time passes, still no credit. I e-mail them and all they say is we credited you on this date (the date it says returned). STILL NOTHING. they took so damn long that my card expired. this has happened with all 3 of my returns of the past year. i dont know why i keep going back. i give up. I even sent them an e-mail saying, hey i dont even want the money just send me these DVDs and keep the change and we'll call it even, send me a check , just do SOMETHING, but nope they dont give a rat's ass. I spent a ton of money there and if they don't do something soon, they can go to hell. ill make sure myself and everyone i know (and a lot of us buy a ton of DVDs) stays the hell away. I am furious. i just checked my email here at work and they sent me another BS letter. if you're reading this DDD, my account is under [email protected], my order # is 20703719 , just please give me some damn customer service for once. I'm posting my experiences on all the DVD and price searches I can find. I'm stuck at work for 3 more hours, I have nothing better to do. You know I can understand a problem once, but the same problems 3 times??

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 01-04-03 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-07-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I guess I'll add more fuel to this fire: I had a $5 gift code from DDD that they gave me for their last screwup. I knew they were having a lot of problems lately, so I have been avoiding them. The coupon expired at the end of the year so I ordered a disc at the end of December. Everything went smoothly, I got my order confirmation and shipping confirmation e-mails all showing the correct price (with the $5 deduction applied) well, I got the disc Monday and checked my credit card statement and guess what - they charged me the full price - no $5 credit. Shouldn't it be illegal to show one price for the buyer to authorize, then charge a higher amount? I've started the "customer service" process, and I will eventually get my five bucks back, but I really doubt I will order from them again. Their discounts are not big enough to be worth all the hassle.
Old 01-07-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they sent me another e-mail.

ive sent 3 emails now saying "the credits have not posted, and if you're trying to post the credit to the card, IT IS NO LONGER VALID." It has not been valid since around december 1st, yet they reply again, "The order number that you provided is the credit of $5.88 and this was given
on 12/12/02. Please check your statements."

Ok, first of all, I just told them that it has not posted to my statement (especially since the statement for that card does not exist, since for the 4th time that card is closed).

Second of all, my dispute for this transaction was for $17.64, not $5.88, clearly defined in the text below. They also said to call, but I don't get off work until they are closed, so Im going to have to write down the number and take it to work tomorrow. A lot of good calling did me last time anyway.

It's like they don't even read the e-mails, they just send off some template and go on to the next.

I just got another e-mail. Before this whole game of e-mail tag, I had a couple orders open, but for some reason they all said "Cancelled." Why, I don't know, but since my orders were cancelled and I am now boycotting this place, I went out and bought them at Best Buy. Now I get a shipping confirmation for my cancelled orders!!! WTF?? Now I'm going to have to return these DVDs and hope I get credited. I can't just take them to BB and get my money with the recepit since they won't have the yellow sticker on them. This is getting ridiculous. I think I'm just going to dispute the charges. I can't believe this company.
Old 01-08-03, 02:20 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Wow--those are some sucky stories.
I've used them many times over the past 1-2 years and have NEVER had a single problem. True, the prices are NOT that deeply discounted, if at all, but I can usually save at least a few bucks, pay no tax, not have to drive to a B&M, and have it delivered relatively quickly (even with their free "standard" aka media mail).
Old 01-08-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a problem with the $5 coupon not being taken into account when I was charged. That was resolved with one phone call though. I also had a problem where they billed me for an out of stock item in a two item order, although they apparently caught that and gave me a credit before my statement even arrived.
Old 01-09-03, 12:13 PM

WOW most people PRAISE about DDD over at the bargain messageboard. i mean they have posters saying how they are indeed the cheapest and so forth. so are the "plants" from DDD?
Old 01-09-03, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by kaze0
I had a problem with the $5 coupon not being taken into account when I was charged. That was resolved with one phone call though. I also had a problem where they billed me for an out of stock item in a two item order, although they apparently caught that and gave me a credit before my statement even arrived.
I'll have to try the phone call since they have ignored my e-mail.
Old 01-09-03, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
WOW most people PRAISE about DDD over at the bargain messageboard. i mean they have posters saying how they are indeed the cheapest and so forth. so are the "plants" from DDD?
No, I don't think they are plants. I have probably spent over $500 with DDD and most of the time it's hassle free. When everything works well, DDD is great, but for the last 8 months or so, they have had a lot problems. So now, anytime I order from them I have to document and verify everything they do to make sure it's done correctly. I'd rather pay a little more to a retailer who has their act together and not have to worry about it. It's the same reason I don't shop at the grocery store that's closest to my house, because their discounts never ring up right and they have to call the manager and hold up the line. Other people have probably never had a problem (or aren't aware that their discount code was ignored) and from their point of view, DDD is great.

Of course, your mileage may vary.