Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any OZ reviews up yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any OZ season 2 reviews up yet?

If anybody sees any season 2 reviews on the internet please post em here.

Thanks.

Last edited by Billy Batts; 01-02-03 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 09:10 AM

I should have the OZ second season review up later today...
-r
Old 01-05-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth jackepstein •<HR SIZE=1>I should have the OZ second season review up later today...
-r
<HR SIZE=1>

I'm not sure if this is the best place to do it, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong location, but I would like to offer criticism of your Oz review.

First let me say that I too think it's one of the best shows on TV and am counting the minutes until the season premiere tonight. However, my opinion on this subject would be the same regardless of whether I liked the show or not.

I believe it's a very dangerous precedent for you to give a DVD a "Collector's Series" rating just because you like the content of the film/show. There is a Movie rating for that very reason, and you gave it a well-deserved 5 Stars. However, the audio and video provide nothing special, and you describe what little extras there are as "fluff."

I enjoyed reading your review of the content of the show, and I noticed you summarized the review by noting your own personal bias, but I still think it's a bad idea. If the "DVD Talk Collector's Series" rating is just a copy of the Movie rating, then I as the reader am unable to take it seriously and separate which DVDs are something more than just a great film/show transfered to DVD.

I apologize if I'm misinterpreting what the "DVD Talk Collector's Series" is supposed to mean, but I've always used it as a barometer for a DVD that's more than just a great film/show. If that's not its intended use, then it becomes useless to me as a reader.

Thank you for your time; I enjoy reading your reviews.

das
Old 01-05-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
das, The review for 24 also got a DVDtalk collectors series award and the picture and sound aren't special, as well as not that many extras. For the most part, the movie/tv show imo is more important than av and extras.
Old 01-05-03, 06:17 PM

Hey das Monkey.

In regards to me giving a "DVD Talk Collector Series" label to the second season of OZ, I really did think about what recommendation I would give for it.

As a fan of television and film, I rarely come across something I would even consider giving a ***** movie rating to. OZ season 2 is one of those things. Because the audio and the video are as good as its gonna get for a show like OZ (its presentation is intentional), the only thing really left to disagree with is the 'extras.'

I agree that my assesment is kind of iffy, but I honestly feel that the actual content quality of the episodes, coupled with its high replayability squeaks it past the Highly Recommended mark.

I will think about it for the next day or so, but I'm pretty confident of my decision. Thank you for your critiscm and feedback. I'd rather hear something than nothing at all.

only 97 minutes until the last season of OZ....
-r
Old 01-05-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>das, The review for 24 also got a DVDtalk collectors series award and the picture and sound aren't special, as well as not that many extras. For the most part, the movie/tv show imo is more important than av and extras. <HR SIZE=1>

24 got 5 Stars on Movie and Highly Recommended.

das
Old 01-05-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's cool. I certainly understand your reasoning even if I don't agree with it. I would, however, ask what rating you would give Season 2 if it had zero extras; then I'd ask what rating you would give it if it had enough extras to make a grown man cry? Personally, I think there should be a difference between the two when it comes to the highest possible rating, but that's just me. I can understand how others would have a different opinion and fully respect your decision to rate it however you choose.

In the end, you could probably convince me there are enough extras to make it borderline, and that may be enough to push it over the line. Then again, maybe not. Mainly, I am concerned at not being able to tell which products are great DVDs and which are simply great films/shows.

Anyway, thanks for listening. 59 minutes until angry naked men run across my TV ...

das
Old 01-05-03, 07:10 PM

das,

I'm going to edit my review of OZ season 2, citing that becuase of lack of sufficient extras, that its placed somewhere between Collector Series and Highly Recommended. But I will keep my original grade of Collector Series (I will keep your criticsm in mind for subsequent reviews).

42 minutes and counting.... Thank god football has been great today to make the wait less painful.
-r
Old 01-05-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>das, The review for 24 also got a DVDtalk collectors series award and the picture and sound aren't special, as well as not that many extras. For the most part, the movie/tv show imo is more important than av and extras. <HR SIZE=1>

24 got 5 Stars on Movie and Highly Recommended.

das
sorry, I always thought that it did.
Old 01-05-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey jackepstein, I actually got confused between you and the HTF founder with the same review name. You do have very good reviews.
Old 01-05-03, 09:04 PM

Very awesome review. Unfortunately I never caught on to OZ when it was first on cable. I bought season one blind and it quickly became one of my favorite shows ever.

I will be all over season 2 when it comes out especially at the excellent price of 40 bucks at best buy. I just hope that either HBO decides to re-run the series after it concludes or the sets come out a little more often or I'm going to go through some serious withdrawl. I have been dying to know the outcome of the season one finale for almost a year now. I am one of those people who can't pick up on a series such as OZ without having seen how it all began.

Once again, tremendous review Jack and I will not complain about the collector's series decision because the show is just that damn good.
Old 01-05-03, 09:06 PM

Wanna hear something even more nuts?

My name is Ron Epstein, and I'm also from New Jersey (same as HTF Ron). Therefore, I go by my penname, Ron J. Epstein (on the boards i use jackepstein so theres no confusion).

-r
Old 01-06-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ever think of going by Juan Epstein? Each review could start with, "Mr. Kotter ... I got a note ..."

As for editing the review, no need to do that (unless you really want to). I think it already sufficiently states the situation, and I understood why you used that rating even if disagreed with it.

Can't believe this is the final season *sniffle* ...

das