Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Weasel GC $19.99 at Target

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resident Weasel GC $19.99 at Target

Quick holiday post. Target has the Gamecube Resident Evil for $20. First time I've seen a GC game for cheap, so I picked it up.

Enjoy!
Old 01-01-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked this up there recently. I see now why everyone bitches about the controls. It's just about the worst control scheme I've ever seen. What the hell were they thinking?

It sure is pretty though. I've been watching my sister-in-law play it late at night with the lights out and the surround sound cranked. Everyone in the room has jumped several times, so it's at least as entertaining as a good horror movie.
Old 01-01-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks...been looking to repurchase since I sold my original copy. $20.00 is a great price.
Old 01-01-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is mean every Target stores have Resident Evil for $19.99 ??

Thanks
Old 01-01-03, 03:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Is mean every Target stores have Resident Evil for $19.99 ??
You tell us. You're the one with all the "insider scoops" at Target.
Old 01-01-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by focker
I just picked this up there recently. I see now why everyone bitches about the controls. It's just about the worst control scheme I've ever seen. What the hell were they thinking?
Be sure to try control scheme "C" (if you haven't already) It's still not perfect, but is better than the default one.
Old 01-01-03, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Be sure to try control scheme "C" (if you haven't already) It's still not perfect, but is better than the default one.
I've tried them all and C seems to be the best, but they're all pretty similar. Why can't you just press the stick in the direction you want to move, pressing it down further to move faster? Every other third person game seems to play this way. Who could have possibly thought this was a good idea?

Do all survival horror games control this poorly, or is it just the Resident Evil series? This is the first one I've played.
Old 01-01-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I've tried them all and C seems to be the best, but they're all pretty similar. Why can't you just press the stick in the direction you want to move, pressing it down further to move faster?
I think it has to do with the way the camera switches. If you were trying to get from point A to point B by holding the stick UP, and the camera switched angles on you halfway there, then UP wouldn't be the correct direction anymore, you would have to re-orient yourself, then point the stick in the new direction of point B.

In the RE control scheme, since Up is always forward, if you press UP, you will continue to go in the same direction, no matter how the camera changes on you.

Games that have a more realistic (floating) camera don't have this problem, so it makes sense to use the other control method (you move in the direction you push the stick).
Old 01-01-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It sure is pretty though. I've been watching my sister-in-law play it late at night with the lights out and the surround sound cranked. Everyone in the room has jumped several times, so it's at least as entertaining as a good horror movie.
The original game was designed for the PS1, when that console only had a D-pad. The control scheme was designed for that. Apparently the designers experimented with a full analog system, but it made it too easy to dodge the zombies. After all, beneath the fancy graphics is essentially the same game. So they stuck with the old controls.

RE4 is GC from the ground up, so hopefully it will be designed to have intuitive control and still be scary.
Old 01-01-03, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by joeblow69
I think it has to do with the way the camera switches. If you were trying to get from point A to point B by holding the stick UP, and the camera switched angles on you halfway there, then UP wouldn't be the correct direction anymore, you would have to re-orient yourself, then point the stick in the new direction of point B.

In the RE control scheme, since Up is always forward, if you press UP, you will continue to go in the same direction, no matter how the camera changes on you.

Games that have a more realistic (floating) camera don't have this problem, so it makes sense to use the other control method (you move in the direction you push the stick).
I thought about this problem, but it doesn't come close to the problems that the current system creates.
Originally posted by ScandalUMD
The original game was designed for the PS1, when that console only had a D-pad. The control scheme was designed for that. Apparently the designers experimented with a full analog system, but it made it too easy to dodge the zombies. After all, beneath the fancy graphics is essentially the same game. So they stuck with the old controls.

RE4 is GC from the ground up, so hopefully it will be designed to have intuitive control and still be scary.
I thought about this too, but even with a D-pad it would have been possible to make the directions correspond to the direction of motion on the screen. A run button would have to be added, or better yet a button that toggles run on and off, but it would work. I realize that this might make the game too easy, but a game should never be difficult simply because of a poor control scheme.

I haven't decided wether or not I'll get used to the controls enough to make it worth it to play. I'll certainly be holding off on the prequel and sequels for now. For $20, I'm still pleased with this purchase.
Old 01-01-03, 09:50 PM

To date, the only Resident Evil game with with the "Mario" style control scheme is Resident Evil 2 for the N64.
Old 01-01-03, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
To date, the only Resident Evil game with with the "Mario" style control scheme is Resident Evil 2 for the N64.
Was it a faithful port (minus the bad control scheme)? I bet I could pick that up cheap.
Old 01-01-03, 10:37 PM

Was it a faithful port (minus the bad control scheme)? I bet I could pick that up cheap.
Not only was it a faithful port, but it had some extra content not found in the PSX version. The only downside is that the FMV is a little grainy.