Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Wrath of Khan nitpick

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My Wrath of Khan nitpick

Old 12-31-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
My Wrath of Khan nitpick

since it's on tonight on TNN
After Spock gets fried and Kirk tries to go in the little room they stop him saying he'll flood the whole compartment(with radiation)
but if you look closely and the revolving door, it has a gap in it, so the radiation has already gotten out
Old 12-31-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And we should care for what reason?
Old 12-31-02, 10:01 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Wrath of Khan nitpick

Originally posted by mikehunt
After Spock gets fried and Kirk tries to go in the little room they stop him saying he'll flood the whole compartment(with radiation)
but if you look closely and the revolving door, it has a gap in it, so the radiation has already gotten out
there wasn't any radiation
Old 01-02-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe there was some kind of forcefield keeping the radiation out? Anyway, I know what you mean......I hate it when I find such things to nitpick about (mainly concerning science fiction movies).

Some other Star Trek nitpicks I have (among many):
~ No matter how badly the ship is damaged, almost no crewmember is killed. Sickbay always reports "radiation burns" and "things could have been a lot worse". I have never heard something like, "Captain, when that photon torpedo took out a 50 foot section on deck 20 it took 30 crewmen with it."

~ How about the infamous "Scotty was waring the wrong rank during all of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)" goof?

~ There's also the ending of ST VI, a movie which I really liked. Listen to what they say about Lieutenant Valeris. Although not a gaff it's unbelievable and shows how the writers tried to forcefully insert their politics into the script.

What I'm talking about is how the crew starts saying how glad they are that there will be
Spoiler:
no charges pressed against Lieutenant Valeris.........And something about everyone having deep feelings or beliefs...........
Yikes!!!!!!! She was responsible for
Spoiler:
a plot to kill the President of the Federation and start a war which could have killed millions or billions!

Her actions lead to
Spoiler:
the death of the Klingon Chancellor and to those on his ship when it was attacked!
....Just to name a few things Now that's just plain bad writing and shows that personal politics played a huge role in this script.

I really liked ST VI. It showed a lot of things I always wanted to see.......
Spoiler:
Like a photon torpedo going through the saucer section of the Enterprise and Klingon blood (which seems to have also changed with each movie).

It also showed that only
Spoiler:
officers have private quarters and that the rest of the crew have bunks.
That was to me the best added feature in the movie.

One more nitpick on ST VI ~ Just what is the deal with
Spoiler:
a kitchen?........Was the synthesizer suddenly uninvented?

OK.........I'm getting carried away here.....I just have too much time on my hands not having a real life and all
Old 01-02-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Vampyr
One more nitpick on ST VI ~ Just what is the deal with
Spoiler:
a kitchen?........Was the synthesizer suddenly uninvented?
I believe there is an flashback episode of Voyager where Tuvok is a member of the Excelsior's crew just prior to events in ST6, and it firmly establishes replicators were not in use aboard Federation starships at that time. Just so you know.
Old 01-02-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vampyr, I think you may need to go back and watch VI again.
Spoiler:
Of the 30-some times I've seen it, I NEVER interpreted McCoy's line, "And the good news is, they're not going to prosecute" as referring to Valeris. He is responding to Kirk's quip, "Once again, we saved civilization as we know it". The reference is that McCoy is glad they aren't going to be on trial again, as they were (sort of) in IV, as well as earlier in the story in VI. Uhura says, "They might as well have prosecuted me...I felt like Lt. Valeris". Then McCoy jibes (towards Spock), "They don't arrest people for having feelings". Meaning, she was guilty of the feelings that Valeris had, but not guilty of the actions. I don't think there is any mistake that Valeris is in the brig.

planetaire...that can't be true, they had them in the original series. The point of the kitchens is to allow for delicious "homemade cooking". We have TV dinners now, so have you completely stopped cooking from scratch? Same reason.
Old 01-02-03, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by planetaire
I believe there is an flashback episode of Voyager where Tuvok is a member of the Excelsior's crew just prior to events in ST6, and it firmly establishes replicators were not in use aboard Federation starships at that time. Just so you know.
Please explain this to me. I remember him in the scene you mention, but don't understand the connection with replicators?

BTW: They were used during ST: TOS, so I don't know how such a common thing could be uninvented decades later. Replicators were important parts of many ST: TOS episodes.

Please excuse me if I'm missing a joke here........I'm really interested in understanding what your saying.
Old 01-02-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
How about in Wrath of Khan where Khan recognizes Chekov? Chekov wasn't in that episode or that season at all.
Old 01-02-03, 01:14 AM

Re: My Wrath of Khan nitpick

Originally posted by mikehunt
not nessecarily ..... if the airpressure inside the reactorroom (where spock was) is less than that of the rest for the engine room, then the airflow would be into the recator room and cause no radioactive particles to flow out . just a theory of course

also , its a flipping fantasy movie ..... not real

deal with it
Old 01-02-03, 01:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My biggest nitpick with the entire series is that they always jerryrig a new way to overpower the cloaking device used by the enemy, but the next time they come across a cloaking device, it's as if they all had a memory wipe, and they come up with a whole new way around it.

Don't even get me started on why doesn't the Federation ever use the cloaking device after stealing the technology in TOS.
Old 01-02-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TOS replicators aren't replicators, they're food slots.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies5.htm
Old 01-02-03, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by planetaire
TOS replicators aren't replicators, they're food slots.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies5.htm
Hey....Thanks for the link........ That was fun to read

Originally posted by Groucho
My biggest nitpick with the entire series is that they always jerryrig a new way to overpower the cloaking device used by the enemy, but the next time they come across a cloaking device, it's as if they all had a memory wipe, and they come up with a whole new way around it.

Don't even get me started on why doesn't the Federation ever use the cloaking device after stealing the technology in TOS.
Yea....What about this????

In ST: TOS they FIRST encountered a Cloaking Device in "Balance of Terror" and stole it in "The Enterprise Incident".........Yet in at least one episode of ST: Enterprise (as I've missed quite a few), the Romulans use a Cloaking Device..........That's really odd and disappointing as a fan.
Old 01-02-03, 05:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by caligulathegod
How about in Wrath of Khan where Khan recognizes Chekov? Chekov wasn't in that episode or that season at all.
Well, they neglected to mention that in order to add insult to injury, Kirk sent all of his newspaper clippings about the Enterprise and its crew to Khan.
Old 01-02-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just because we did not see him does not mean he was not around .. there was no "and now let's meet our new member of the crew" episode for Chekov ... so .. while he started showing up in season 2 .. the character could have been on board and met Khan in "Space Seed" ...

it frightens me to know TOS eps titles as if they are supposed to be common knowledge ...

Q: Queen of England ?
A: Elizabeth
Q: pilot ep of TOS ?
A: the cage
Old 01-02-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just suprised that it's his real chest!
Old 01-02-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Vampyr
That's really odd and disappointing as a fan.
That sentence actually describes the entire ENTERPRISE experience for me. I haven't watched a single episode this season, and I feel much better.
Old 01-02-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho

Google sez:

Cloaking Devices

Cloaking Devices challenge the ideals of the United Federation of Planets, and so are not widely used within Starfleet. For certain Federation adversaries, though, it's another story.

The Federation operates as a diplomatic and scientific organization, so cloaking devices have had a low priority in the hierarchies of Starfleet, due to their purely duplicitous function. In addition, the Treaty of Algeron, a peace treaty agreed with the Romulan Star Empire, prevents the Federation from pursuing ship-cloaking technology.

The Federation's first encounter with a cloaked ship comes after 100 years of peace with a Romulan vessel crosses the established Neutral Zone in 2266 to test its new visibility cloaking device. However, when the USS Enterprise NCC 1701, with Captain James T Kirk in charge, encounters the Romulans, Kirk finds the cloaking device effective, but flawed. The cloaking shield's massive power requirements leave only impulse power to propel the ship, decloaking is necessary prior to engaging weapons and transporter systems, and Romulan sensors are virtually blind while cloaked. The Enterprise sensors are able to track the ship - not well enough to establish a weapons lock, but well enough to defeat them.

Not long after, the Romulans, and Klingons briefly join forces and produce an upgraded cloaking device that can't be tracked with sensors and works on warp-capable ships, in response, the Enterprise steals the device for study.

---------------

Star Fleet, which used the cloaking device on its vessels in the late 2200's and early 2300's, has decided that the peaceful (mostly) mission definition of the Explorer type of starships precludes its use. Further- more, the overall shape and hull materials used in the Galaxy, Ambassador, and Oberth class starships would interfere with the cloaking device. Although it is still possible to cloak them, the energy necessary increases beyond reasonable limit. Today, only specialized scouting, stealth, and battle ships use cloaking devices.
I would say since technology is always advancing, yesterday's weaknesses don't work today, so new holes must always be found.
Old 01-02-03, 01:22 PM
Banned

My advice would be:
Dont watch the movie again or...
Go read a book.

Enterprise doesnt do it for me either. I tried and tried again.
If I want to see people parading around in their underwear, all go get an International Male catalog.
I expect more from Trek.
Old 01-02-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Vampyr •<HR SIZE=1>~ There's also the ending of ST VI, a movie which I really liked. Listen to what they say about Lieutenant Valeris. Although not a gaff it's unbelievable and shows how the writers tried to forcefully insert their politics into the script.

What I'm talking about is how the crew starts saying how glad they are that there will be
Spoiler:
no charges pressed against Lieutenant Valeris.........And something about everyone having deep feelings or beliefs...........
Yikes!!!!!!! She was responsible for
Spoiler:
a plot to kill the President of the Federation and start a war which could have killed millions or billions!
<HR SIZE=1>

What movie were you watching? That's not at all what happened.

As for the kitchens, there are kitchens on all Federation starships. This is nothing new at all.

And cloaking devices? The Federation's policy against using them, both as a matter of exploration mission and the Treaty of Algeron, is one of the more basic premises of Trek. I believe there's also mention of it in the Organian Peace Treaty and the Second Khitomer Accord; regardless, this is basic stuff.

There's plenty to nitpick in Trek, but you're going to have to come with more than that.

das
Old 01-02-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Chekov was always aboard the Enterprise, and that's how Kahn remembered him. Just because we didn't see the meeting doesn't mean it never happened. Or just that he wasn't aboard the Enterprise before we finally saw him.

We can assume that Chekov was promoted to the bridge sometime after the events of "Space Seed."

The Enterprise had a crew of 430, after all.
Old 01-02-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My biggest nitpick......

ok, so Khan has this Superior Intellect that we never hear the end of. the scene where the enterprise enters the code to drop the shields on the Reliant. the one dude says "sir, our sheilds are dropping!"" and what does Khan say with his Superior Intellect???? "Raise Them!" Gee Khan thanks buddy, what would i do without you??? I never would have thought about that. Your intellect is totally superior. Thanks again genius.
Old 01-02-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BuddyRevell
My biggest nitpick......

ok, so Khan has this Superior Intellect that we never hear the end of. the scene where the enterprise enters the code to drop the shields on the Reliant. the one dude says "sir, our sheilds are dropping!"" and what does Khan say with his Superior Intellect???? "Raise Them!" Gee Khan thanks buddy, what would i do without you??? I never would have thought about that. Your intellect is totally superior. Thanks again genius.
That's your BIGGEST nitpick? You must enjoy a life of bliss and harmony.
Old 01-02-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are traveling faster than the speed of light and turn on the headlights, will they do anything?
Old 01-02-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by JimRochester
If you are traveling faster than the speed of light and turn on the headlights, will they do anything?
Relativity. Einstein says nothing can go faster than the speed of light. Soooo, if you were going 99.999999999% of the speed of light and you turned on the headlights, relative to you, the head lights still go the speed of light ahead of you. Relative to an observer, it's just going 0.000000001% faster than you are. (At least I'm pretty sure how that works. Been years since I read into it.)

I have an argument about the Chekov/Khan thing, but it's way too geeky and it has a fatal flaw so I'll reluctantly concede it.
Old 01-02-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
maybe he just wasn't a bridge officer yet
or more bad writing in a trek movie

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.