Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is the better movie and worthy of Best Picture: Two Towers or Gangs of New York

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which is the better movie and worthy of Best Picture: Two Towers or Gangs of New York

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only vote if you have seen both movies.

I am not posting a poll as I do not want the voting to be unfairly influenced.
Old 12-31-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I would vote GONY just because I feel Scorsese deserves the recognition.

You want my honest opinion? Neither. It should go to something like Adaptation or Chicago (haven't seen either, but will say they are worthy in that they are against mainstream).
Old 12-31-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I would vote GONY just because I feel Scorsese deserves the recognition.

You want my honest opinion? Neither. It should go to something like Adaptation or Chicago (haven't seen either, but will say they are worthy in that they are against mainstream).
I love how some people on this board think that no matter what
Mainstream = Bad
Independent = Good
Old 12-31-02, 03:52 PM

Wow, that's one of the dumbest things I have read lately. They "are against the mainstream".
Old 12-31-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Wow, that's one of the dumbest things I have read lately. They "are against the mainstream".
I am not saying that is why, I am just saying that they are and in doing so break new ground in cinema, thus being worthy of awards IMO.
Old 12-31-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Two Towers has a stronger vision; GONY was very good but Scorsese's direction was surprisingly weak.
Old 12-31-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am not saying that is why, I am just saying that they are and in doing so break new ground in cinema, thus being worthy of awards IMO.
But how can you say that if you haven't even, by your own admission, seen either of them? Seems strange to me. What if you see them and think they suck?

As for me, between those two movies (and I know indycohiba has a real hard on for TT), I would go with Gangs of New York. Thought it was better acted, with a more interesting story, whereas I walked out of TT glad that it was finally over. Not that I hated it, just that it did really nothing for me and like the first one I thought the acting was poor at best.

But still, neither would be my first pick for Best Picture award. That would go to Chicago right now but I still need to see some main contenders yet.
Old 01-01-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Gangs of New York - I think it's the best film of the year - so I would go for that just based on its own merit.

But I know how the Academy loves to give "achievement awards", i.e. awards that are based on previous triumphs and are usually handed out for whatever performance they gave that year, no matter how mediocre it is. Example: Denzel Washington for Training Day.

If anyone deserves one of those, it is Martin Scorsese. He is America's greatest director still working today - it is almost criminal that he hasn't won Best Director or Best Picture. In almost three decades, this is the worst kind of snubbing I've ever seen, and it was watching this that convinced me the Academy Awards were at best, not really concerned with quality; at worst, a joke of the highest order.

Of course, I would still want to see him win.

And it's almost a lock that Peter Jackson will reap his rewards next year for Return of the King. Scorsese's next film will be out in what? 2005?
Old 01-01-03, 04:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gangs of New York, easily. Between Daniel Day-Lewis' performance and Scorsese's directing (which I thought was his best since Goodfellas), this movie had me intruiged and excited the whole time. Is it a masterpiece? No. But is it great? Hell yeah.

The Two Towers, while awesome, was not as good as Fellowship and is in the lower areas of my top 10 favorites of the year.

If I could choose any movie, I would go with Adaptation. Gangs would be a second, or Morvern Callar, depending on how I felt at any given moment.
Old 01-01-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Between the two, I would say LOTR: TT. I went into GONY with few expectations, but left underwhelmed. Both movies did a good job establishing setting, characters, etc., but I was really, really ready for GONY to end, while I could have sat another three hours for more LOTR. Both movies could have been better, but GONY seemed to me like it needed the most work (mostly scripting and editing - thought TT definately had problems in these areas, too).
Old 01-01-03, 08:22 PM

I haven't seen GONY yet, but IMO, TT shouldn't win. I thought it was very boring, mapped out just like SW: Ep. 1 with 2 long and tedious acts, followed by a 3rd act of balls to the wall action, which was fun, but not redeeming to me. And from what I've read on the forum and from what I saw, the parts Jackson added or changed would have been best left out.
Old 01-01-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen both and I can't really say one is better than the other.
But...based on the snubbing that Scorcese has gotten from the academy over the last 20+ years, I believe they will make up for it finally this year and give it to GONY.
Old 01-01-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw GoNY tonight and would have to give it a slight nod. Although it was flawed and seemed to be missing, well, something, it was still a very very good film. TT was also incredibly good, but i didn't like it quite as much as FotR. I will also agree that scorsese definately deserves a nod from the academy - BUT - i'd have to say that his direction was the main reason GoNY isn't better. It just seemed to drift a bit too much and wasn't all that cohesive. the last hour redeemed much of that, however, leaving me pretty well satisfied........

.....now if only he hadn't cast cameron diaz it would be the clear winner

Last edited by HistoryProf; 01-02-03 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-01-03, 11:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by brizz

.....now if only he hadn't cast cameron diaz it would be the clear winner
I was actually surprised at how good Cameron Diaz's performance was. My expectations weren't too high but I really think she deserves a nomination.

And as for which movie deserves the Best Picture award, I agree with those that said it should go to Chicago. But out of LOTR and GONY, I'd give it to Gangs of New York. Lord of the Rings was great but it didn't really stand as it's own film as well as the first one did and the third probably will.
Old 01-02-03, 09:33 PM

My friend wanted to see this so I went with him to see it for my second time. Went to a 2:50 p.m. showing today (Thursday) and it was nearly sold out. Was even better the second time around and if it's nearly selling out a weekday afternoon showing, maybe it still has some life in it?
Old 01-02-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
My friend wanted to see this so I went with him to see it for my second time. Went to a 2:50 p.m. showing today (Thursday) and it was nearly sold out. Was even better the second time around and if it's nearly selling out a weekday afternoon showing, maybe it still has some life in it?
I assume you are talking about Two Towers. The battle goes on...who will succeed...
Old 01-03-03, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by indycohiba
I assume you are talking about Two Towers. The battle goes on...who will succeed...
No my friend. Not everything is about Two Towers. And you couldn't pay me enough to make me sit through that a second time. I was referring to Gangs of New York, which by my count the thread is leaning toward in answering your question at the beginning.
Old 01-03-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would say neither. TTT was good, but doesn't deserve the award. wait intill next year when it gets it for ROTK and GONY is decent, but it doesn't deserve it either.

as for mainstream vs. Indie. I'm sure any independant director would gladly accept any sack of money a studio tosses to them to finish the picture.
Old 01-03-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Off topic, but when do they announce the nominations for the Oscars. I am actually going to try to see all five films this year before the Academy Awards air. I've seen Gangs, and i'm seeing Two Towers this Sunday. So i won't vote, but ithought Gangs was excellent. i went to see it before even hearing much about it. I didn't even realize that it was Cameron Diaz in the movie until i read a review.
Old 01-03-03, 01:17 PM
3Js

TTT has no chance to win. It's just not the kind of film Academy members will vote for in big numbers.

Look for "About Schmidt" to make a big challenge. That's the kind of film they really like.
Old 01-03-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In all honesty, will the academy look past its anti-genre bias for even ROTK?
Old 01-03-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
No my friend. Not everything is about Two Towers. And you couldn't pay me enough to make me sit through that a second time. I was referring to Gangs of New York, which by my count the thread is leaning toward in answering your question at the beginning.
Truce, please...I am going nuts!
Old 01-03-03, 10:13 PM
Banned

The Two Towers
Epic Battle Scenes = Oscar

Gangs Of New York
Epic Battle Scenes = Oscar

Hmm..but the choice is obviously Two Towers. Gangs of New York was certainly a weaker film. GONY shouldn't even be nominated for anything other Daniel Day-Lewis' role, and Two Towers should win Best Picture.
Old 01-03-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am hoping neither of these films win best picture, because there are far better films out there.

Fellowship = awesome (rightfully deserved every accolade)
Two Towers = didn't like as much (shouldn't even be nominated for Best Picture this year)

Films DO NOT have to have an epic scale to win Best Picture.

I am pulling for About Schmidt or Adaptation. Smaller films, yes. But far better than the two you listed.

(this is of what I have seen and is total opinion, and I will change this post when and if I think other films give competition

I still have to see a lot. (Chicago, The Hours, Far From Heaven, The 25th Hour, etc.)
Old 01-04-03, 03:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd vote for The Two Towers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.