DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help Me Splurge

Old 12-30-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help Me Splurge

OK ... before you get any funny ideas:

splurge (splûrj)
v. splurged, splurg·ing, splurg·es
v. intr.

1. To indulge in an extravagant expense or luxury.
  2. To be showy or ostentatious.
Now, with that out of the way, here's what I currently have in my setup (nothing particularly fancy):

• Mitsubishi WS-65819 65" RPTV
  • Onkyo SKS-HT500 5.1 Speakers 100W
  • Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Receiver 80W
  • Pioneer DV-444
  • Panasonic TU-HDS20 DirecTV/HDTV Receivier
  • Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
  • PS2 and more generic VCRs/DirecTV Receivers than you could imagine
  • Kickass Beanbag Chair
  • Kickass Recliner

Obvious Holes:

• Back Channel Speaker
  • Speaker Stands
  • Popcorn Maker
  • Obscenely large capacity CD/DVD player
  • Universal Learning Remote that will make you cry
  • HQ DVD Player
  • Region Free DVD Player
  • Multimedia rack/display stand (everything just sits atop my TV)
  • Other?

So I'm looking to buy something "else" - something that may not be entirely necessary but would be cool to have. For example, I have no real need for a 100 CD player, but it would be damn cool to have. I've heard that the DV-444 isn't that great in terms of Progressive Scan, so it would be nice to have something of better quality, but I don't really know how much a difference that will make or what I'm really missing.

Anyway, I know this is a pretty open-ended question, but you guys are the experts ... any suggestions for a new toy(s) would be appreciated. I have no particular price range; though I'm not looking to buy anything obscenely expensive ... e.g. I don't need a $2000 receiver. Just got a phat Xmas bonus, and to be honest, I deserve a new toy.

Thanks!

das
Old 12-30-02, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a subwoofer that'll make your neighbors cry?
Old 12-30-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get 2 rear center channel speakers.
Old 12-30-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Help Me Splurge

Originally posted by das Monkey

• Universal Learning Remote that will make you cry

Whatever you decide to get try to set aside an extra $100 for a Pronto (a refurb TS-1000 can be found for $100). I bought one a few weeks ago and it's definitely one of the cooler toys I've bought in a while.
Old 12-30-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth gotapex •<HR SIZE=1>How about a subwoofer that'll make your neighbors cry? <HR SIZE=1>

Nah ... I like my neighbors. The sub with my Onkyo works for now.

das
Old 12-30-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Help Me Splurge

• Quoth Icculus •<HR SIZE=1>Whatever you decide to get try to set aside an extra $100 for a Pronto (a refurb TS-1000 can be found for $100). I bought one a few weeks ago and it's definitely one of the cooler toys I've bought in a while. <HR SIZE=1>

I'll go check that out right now ... thanks for the suggestion.

I know most of you have at least one cool toy in your setup, so I'm mainly looking for something that's not exactly essential ... but "cool" to have.

das
Old 12-30-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth karnblack •<HR SIZE=1>Get 2 rear center channel speakers. <HR SIZE=1>

Why 2?

das
Old 12-30-02, 09:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Standalone DVD recorder to replace your VCRs and permanently archive thousands of hours of your most precious TV memories.
Old 12-30-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth X •<HR SIZE=1>Standalone DVD recorder to replace your VCRs and permanently archive thousands of hours of your most precious TV memories. <HR SIZE=1>

Now you're on to something. For whatever reason, I'm skeptical of this. Guess it's time to start doing some research. With the proliferation of DVD releases of TV shows and so many digital captures hitting the newsgroups for moments that won't hit DVD, it's tough to know how to approach that. Good suggestion though ... off to do some research.

das
Old 12-30-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How about a Panasonic CP72 5 DVD changer? or maybe an Xbox? Then you can get a back channel too, because of the relatively low cost?

As far as popcorn makers go, you can grab one of those stovetop ones with the crank handle for like $20 at target, and they are the bomb.
Old 12-30-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd say a projector.
Old 12-30-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth TheMadMonk •<HR SIZE=1>I'd say a projector. <HR SIZE=1>

Drape a sheet over my TV and project on it?

das
Old 12-30-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say upgrade your speakers. The I've looked at the SKS-HT500 and the fronts are exactly the same as the Kenwood speakers (except for the grills) that I got in my first surround sound speaker package 4 years ago (5.1 in a box). The sub is different, though. I can only imagine the center and surrounds are the same too (same size and all). They are not too bad, but the Infinity speakers in my main theater setup blow them away. I think you would be best served in an upgrade there.
Old 12-31-02, 12:31 AM
mdX

definitely replace the dvd player with something that doesn't redefine 'suck' (assuming your TV accepts a 480p signal - the 444 is fine in interlaced mode)
Old 12-31-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
*resists splurging urge to modify thread title*
Old 12-31-02, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth mdX •<HR SIZE=1>definitely replace the dvd player with something that doesn't redefine 'suck' (assuming your TV accepts a 480p signal - the 444 is fine in interlaced mode) <HR SIZE=1>

As I said, I've never had anything to compare it against ... am I really missing out by that much? I bought it before I had my 65" Mits and mainly got it for the wide variety of oddball formats it would play (particularly in the (X)(S)VCD arena). I read a review of it once that said if you put a tin can lid in the tray, it would probably be able to play it ... pretty accurate too. At the time it was irrelevant that the "progressive" output really wasn't.

So I guess the question then becomes, will I really notice a difference upgrading players ... and if so, can I kill a few birds with one stone ... i.e. can I get a multi-disc or region-free player (or both) that also gives me a significant upgrade in quality?

Thanks.

das
Old 12-31-02, 07:19 AM

Someone mentioned that you get a projector.
Get a Stewart permanent mount screen if you really want to splurge or get a Dalite permanent mount screen to save some bucks.
Also, get (8) $400 theater seats and $2000 worth of DVDs.
Old 12-31-02, 08:15 AM

I'm no hardware expert by any means, but I'm thinkin' an ICEE maker. How could home generated Diet Code Red icee's NOT enhance your entertainment pleasure!?!?!

... e.g. I don't need a $2000 receiver. Just got a phat Xmas bonus, and to be honest, I deserve a new toy.

das
You got a big phat Xmas bonus!?!?!?

*looks outside for the flying pigs and the rain of flaming toads*

Old 12-31-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For a remote I would have to say go with the MX-500. I had the Pronto well really the upgraded Marantz RC-5000 and it was a pain in the A$$. Everytime you need to push a button you need to look down at the remote. The MX-500 has hard buttons and you don't need to look down.
Old 12-31-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TheKobra
For a remote I would have to say go with the MX-500. I had the Pronto well really the upgraded Marantz RC-5000 and it was a pain in the A$$. Everytime you need to push a button you need to look down at the remote. The MX-500 has hard buttons and you don't need to look down.

The Home Theater Master MX-500 is incredible and I prefer it over any touchscreen model. This review from Remote Central has more info than you could ever want:

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html
Old 12-31-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

• Quoth karnblack •<HR SIZE=1>Get 2 rear center channel speakers. <HR SIZE=1>

Why 2?

das
"I also vote for two rear center-channel speakers so that people sitting together in a row or on a couch can feel like the sound is right behind them. A single rear center speaker will pull the image off center somewhat, for viewers who are off center even a little. A pair of rear center speakers that are separated a bit, not too much, will give a nice wide spread to the center sound yet still allow precision sound placement when the left and right surrounds come into play."

Center Channel . . . in the Rear?
Old 12-31-02, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

It seems that speakers is the place you would most notice an improvement.

Also what about DVD-A and SACD, in interest there?
Old 12-31-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YGM!
Old 12-31-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by skar

The Home Theater Master MX-500 is incredible and I prefer it over any touchscreen model. This review from Remote Central has more info than you could ever want:

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html
Let me just say that a Pronto isn't all it's cracked up to be... the lack of hard buttons makes it a pain, and the GF just simply refuses to learn how to use it.

That said, I wouldn't recommend the MX-500 by itself. It's what I've got right now, and it works wonderfully for me, because I still have my Pronto. The catch is that the MX-500 can't be programmed with discrete codes (which is really where good remotes shine)... it has to learn them from another remote. I can program discrete codes into my Pronto, and then have the MX-500 learn them.

There's a newer model called the MX-700, and it's basically the MX-500 with a port so you can hook it up to your computer (like a Pronto). From there, you can program discrete codes without the need for a second controller. And the MX-700 comes with a smaller controller as well that the wife/girlfriend is likely to appreciate and understand. If I didn't have the Pronto already, I would've bought it.

Here's a link to the MX-700: http://www.remotecentral.com/mx700/i...700/index.html
Old 12-31-02, 12:35 PM

So I'm looking to buy something "else" - something that may not be entirely necessary but would be cool to have.
A Buttkicker would be cool to have.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.