Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with speaker wiring

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with speaker wiring

Hello friends,

I just purchased a house with "pre-wired" for home theater.

Basically, next to the tv/receiver area is a wall outlet panel, and next to where all the possible speaker areas are also similar panels. Speaker wire is already run behind the walls, etc, so it helps with speaker setup (especially rears).

Anyway, I popped open one of the panels and yes, there is speaker wire back there, but it seems fixed/mounted. Am I supposed to cut into it? Also, for the subwoofer panel, there's no RCA plug.. do I need to set this up myself?

Hmmm.. this seems much more difficult than before, so I'm hoping someone could offer some advice...

Thanks!

Old 12-31-02, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyway, I popped open one of the panels and yes, there is speaker wire back there, but it seems fixed/mounted. Am I supposed to cut into it? Also, for the subwoofer panel, there's no RCA plug.. do I need to set this up myself?
Not sure what you mean. The cable is attached to the wall?

As for the sub, yes you will need to install a wall plate. The other cable I suspect is also waiting for wall plates. Try this link

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....&WebPage_ID=25
Old 12-31-02, 12:38 PM

So I've discovered that the in-wall speaker wiring also look like RCA cables... I know sub wires are usually RCA, but can RCA cables also be used for speakers?

And if so, is it easy to get an RCA connector and add it to the cable ends? Also is it easy to match this RCA connection to an existing connection on a speaker (ie pos/neg plugs)

Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-31-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you say "RCA cables"...do you mean as in coaxial? With a shield around them?

If so, the answer is yes I think. The center pin of the RCA connector connects to the center conductor and the shield connects to the connector body. It's a better way to go as far as interference and noise issues in electronics.

It's pretty easy to connect to the connectors. If it was me, I would create a patch plate and use mating connectors on the plate. Solder the wires to them and have it all inside the wall.
Old 12-31-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a digital camera? Can you take some pics of it?
Old 12-31-02, 02:56 PM

Yes.. they look coaxial

so I just need to figure out how to connect these open-ended coaxial wires to my speakers.... and yes, I'll probably need to find a wall plate...

As you may realize, I am a complete novice, and don't want to mess things up.....

Any alternatives to soldering? I have absolutely no clue about that either

Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-31-02, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Picture would help.