Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Artists where almost every song sounds different

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bands/artists where truly the songs have a varied theme and sound between them all.

My vote goes to the Beatles, Beck, and Ween. I've heard the same of David Bowie, but never having been a fan, can't agree or disagree with it.
Old 12-30-02, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definetly TOOL
Old 12-30-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MJKTool
Definetly TOOL

Oh stop it . . . you're killing me.

No seriously. Did you read the question?

Old 12-30-02, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Yep I sure did and stand by my answer 110%.
Old 12-30-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
110% bs

tool's songs DO sound different cuz, umm, well... a couple of the words change every time ;D
Old 12-30-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FAITH NO MORE easily.

One song they sound like an authentic lounge band, the next song they sound like death metal band, the next song they sound like a R&B group, the next song they sound like a funk band, etc.

EDIT : All within one album.

Last edited by darqleo; 12-30-02 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Like I'm going to take anything you say about music seriously GuessWho. Question for you, have you even heard any of Tool's songs besides the ones you hear on MTV? I'm guessing a big fat NO.
Old 12-30-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TOOL sounds slightly different from album to album as they progress their sound, but not song to song on any one album.
Old 12-30-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Queen and Led Zeppelin come to mind due to the different styles they each experimented with.
Old 12-30-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Artists where almost every song sounds different

Originally posted by The Bus
Bands/artists where truly the songs have a varied theme and sound between them all.

My vote goes to the Beatles, Beck, and Ween. I've heard the same of David Bowie, but never having been a fan, can't agree or disagree with it.
David Bowie uses a different style for every album.

The Thievery Corporation uses a different style for every song.

Space dabbled in a few styles on the one album I ever heard.
Old 12-30-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with Faith No More...

Rush
Radiohead
Metallica (sort of) Huge difference between Justice for All and the black album.

And oh yes, all the Tool albums do sound the same. And yes, I have listened to all their songs not just the ones on MTV.

Old 12-30-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Lateralus
all the Tool albums do sound the same
And that's coming from the biggest Tool...

...fan around here.
Old 12-30-02, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by The Bus
And that's coming from the biggest Tool...

...fan around here.
I would disagree with that

Well to me all their songs sound different.
Old 12-30-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Beatles, after 1965.

Queen, until 1982.
Old 12-31-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't think of any artists I listen to that have completely different sounds from song to song but the closest I guess I would come to would be Pearl Jam on an album basis. VS. and TEN were definately in the same vein, but since then I think they have done a pretty good job of doing something different here and there.

A band has to sound the same in some repsects or else they wouldn't have that sound to associate with them.

P.S. I'm one of the biggest tool fans around and I'd have to disagree....They may have a sound I love, but they definately aren't sounding different from song to song. Musically from album to album they have progressed but with the exception of opiate and undertow (most of it anyway), they've stuck to their subject matter quite well (which isn't a bad thing at all.)
Old 12-31-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Faith No More.

and..........

The Clash!

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 12-31-02 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 02:59 AM

Mr. Bungle and Estradasphere and Fantomas. Mr. Bungle is music for schizophrenics, but it's sheer genius (well, California is, anyways, then s/t.....Disco Volante is ok). And estradasphere......One song sounds like Death Metal via Crytopsy, Meshuggah, and Nile....the next is Super Mario Brothers 2 theme jazzed up, next song is a crazy gypsy latin jam, next is surf rock, then a kick-ass beat box, then a 70s TV game show theme-like song. They will actually change tunes mid-song...it's that crazy. Fantomas........just wow.

I agree with Ergyu about tool. They have stuck to the subject matter quite well.....which is why I'm bored with them now. Note: I did not say they sucked. I still respect them as musicians and artists, I just find their music boring.
Old 12-31-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Badly Drawn Boy in my opinion!
Old 12-31-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
P Diddy - although they're not enitrely his songs
Old 12-31-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, I'll answer this question.

The first two people that popped in my head were Prince and David Bowie. Those guys are constantly able to reinvent themselves--and it's rather amazing.

For older artists, I think both Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye were also really able to evolve their sound over time.

For newer artists--err that's harder. Maybe Beck?

EDIT: I almost forgot what I think is the greatest example...Miles Davis. His musical evolution was extraordinary.

Last edited by Electric2k; 12-31-02 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Smidget
Badly Drawn Boy in my opinion!
I'd agree.
Old 12-31-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Honestly, without naming names, most of the bands mentioned in this thread every song sounds exactly the same to me.

I think David Bowie albums (or CDs if you prefer) are really different from each other, but with each individual Album, the songs on that album are pretty similar.

U2 almost all sounds the same to me, but (at least at first) Achtung Baby sounded nothing like the rest of U2.

The Beatles-every song doesn't sound different but even within one album, they have a bunch of different styles of music.
Old 12-31-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on how much you like a band, the variability is going to differ from song to song.

For me, I'm going to say Mogwai in the sense that their albums have gone in leaps and bounds.

1. Their first album, Young Team, was really hard and guitar driven. They incorporated some various sounds - namely piano, pounding synthesizer, flute, and noise (something that makes a vacuum cleaner sound??....maybe it is...), but for the most part it was fist-clenching rock.
2. Excluding any EPs, the next album, Come On Die Young, was much more mellow. They toned back from churning around in distortion and concentrated more on soundscapes and clean guitars weaving around with harmony and dissonance. In fact, the only song that lets the rock come out, on that album, is "Christmas Steps." The synthesizer is also changed from searing to mellow.
3. Rock Action, their latest, is more in the vein of Come On Die Young, but - as opposed to being largely guitar-based - they add a lot of depth with very prominent string and horn arrangements. Again, the synth lights up on this album - but it is used in varying degrees: brightly ("2 Rights Make 1 Wrong") to softly ("Take Me Somewhere Nice") to churny ("Sine Wave"). They even pull out an acoustic guitar (song is "Dial: Revenge") and finger pick an almost folksy line with Welsh singing over top of it (I believe it is the vocalist for Super Furry Animals).

Like I said, as far as albums go their sound has been very well-crafted along the way.
Old 12-31-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Electric2k
The first two people that popped in my head were Prince and David Bowie. Those guys are constantly able to reinvent themselves--and it's rather amazing.
I have to disagree about the Prince suggestion - even though, up until recently, I was probably his most staunch defender. The different style thing could be said of his transition from "Purple Rain" era guitar gymnastics to his "Around the World in 80 Days" psychedelic meanderings.

But thereafter, Prince is notorious for repeating various sound and voice effects in his music. When playing all instruments in a composition of his own creation, Prince will take shortcuts, re-using drum samples, tossing in that same "whip-crack" effect, and sometimes almost duplicating lyrics.

Hey, sometimes even the geniuses employ cookie cutters.

". . . Now move your big ass 'round this way, so I can work on that zipper, baby."
Old 12-31-02, 02:25 PM
RaZorBlade

Common - especially on his last album.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.