Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me, please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me, please!

I got a Sony STR DE985 Receiver for christmas along with a Bose Acoustimass 10 w/ an additional Center channel speaker as to have 6.1 surround.

In my instruction manual (for the receiver), it states that if a DVD is Dolby Digital there will be a Dolby Digital display light on the receiver that will light up. I am not getting this. I get a pro-logic indicator light instead. I am very confused as to why I'm not getting the indicator light that the manual states. I don't know if there is a setting in the receiver that I'm missing or possibly in the DVD player, or does the DVD player settings even matter at this point.

Oh, My DVD player is also a Sony, it decodes DTS, and 5.1 also, so that shouldn't be a problem.

TIA, and if anymore info is needed to help you help me please ask!
Old 12-30-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Make sure that the DVD player is set to pass a Dolby Digital signal and that the dvd is actually Dolby Digital.

Make sure that the reveiver is set to auto decode or auto format
Old 12-30-02, 04:44 PM
Banned

On my Panny dvd player I had to set it to bitstream on dolby digital and dts and turn dolby digital "on". Also on your reciever see if it is set to "dvd".
Old 12-30-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should also make sure you're choosing the Dolby Digital 5.1 track in the disc's audio options menu. A lot of discs have multiple soundtracks, including a Dolby Pro-Logic 2.0 track and some of them default to the 2.0 track.

I used to own a Sony receiver, but I can't remember the specifics of enabling the Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, but I seem to remember setting it to "Auto Format Decode."
Old 12-30-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be obvious, but just in case:

Make sure you are using a "digital coaxial" or "digital optical" audio out from your dvd player to your reciever.
Old 12-30-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
This should be obvious, but just in case:

Make sure you are using a "digital coaxial" or "digital optical" audio out from your dvd player to your reciever.
That's exactly what I was going to ask.