Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question for Best Buy employees..please come inside.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I have a quick question on returns at Best Buy. I recently returned 3 DVDs that I got for Christmas and got store credit because they were gifts. I've also returned 2 DVDs about six months ago without a receipt. I'm not trying to scam Best Buy or anything but my question is serious. They always ask for my Driver's License and plug my numbers in. At what point is there a red flag for returns? Not just DVDs, but anything? I don't always save my receipt and I want to know if I'm being track or if someday there is a possible red flag or black listing from returns. If anyone, preferrably a Best Buy employee or someone with experience and answer this question, that would rock. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-30-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about Best Buy, but I know Wal-Mart has a limit. The last time I tried to return something they typed in my DL and told me "no, you've returned too many without a reciept". I did it to myself, the Wal-Mart is so easy to make returns to I stopped even bothering to look for the reciepts. I wonder how long that stays on my "record"?
Old 12-30-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm wondering the same thing since Wal-Mart takes everything back. I usually have my receipt for them. I double enrolled in CH so I wanted to get rid of the duplicates. I'm just wondering how Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. track it and when they will cut you off. I wonder if your wal-mart black listing is for your store only or every wal-mart?
Old 12-30-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Store Forum?
Old 12-30-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For Bestbuy:

There is a thread already in store forum about this ... you can return things without a receipt on 3 occasions within a year. They will not allow you to return anything on the 4th trip. Apparently there is no $$ limit associated with it, merely the # of incidents.

Last edited by BigPete; 12-30-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-30-02, 12:01 PM

Unless it's changed wal-mart is 3 times per 90 days.
Old 12-30-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by danicus007
I wonder if your wal-mart black listing is for your store only or every wal-mart?
This much I know...it's for ALL stores. The ID# is maintained in their central computers from what I can tell.
Old 12-30-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess their 3 time rule makes sense. Good to know!
Old 12-30-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by danicus007
I double enrolled in CH so I wanted to get rid of the duplicates.
No offense, but wouldn't the easiest way to deal with that be to return those movies (they'll ship you the postage paid return label) and cancel? What you're suggesting doing is kinda frowned upon here at the forums, I've gathered. Especially, after you just said you weren't trying to "rip them off". Best Buy or Wal-Mart, it doesn't matter, it actually is ripping them off. I'm not trying to come down on you, cuz personally, it's none of my business since I neither work for or have anything invested in either store (hell, I don't even shop at either of them). And I'm certainly no saint now, or especially before (if you only knew....) But I'm upfront about stuff and willing to take responsibility for my actions. Sorry for the rant, I just don't think you should do this with the mindframe that you're not "ripping anyone off". I'm not saying don't do it (I'm not your mom - though I do look good in a housedress), but it's not a wise idea to admit these things to the "authorities". Either way, it's your call.

Ex-Ronin Vice President,
K
Old 12-30-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't take any personal offense Cornelius...it would be far too much trouble to send them all back to CH. Everyone knows the kinds of hassle and time it can take things to get resolved through Columbia House. If they made it easy to do, I wouldn't have a problem doing that. I should have known better than to double enroll, especially the way CH has been running the last month.

I 100% understand where you're coming from and agree with you. I'm no saint either, but it's good to know the new return policies. I once bought a DVD player from bestbuy.com in October and returned in in January towards another player and they were fine by that. I think the Best Buy in my town is pretty good about returns and such.
Old 12-30-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You think the CH DVD club is bad, boy, don't ever sign up for their Video Library. I called to try and return a DVD they sent that I already had (Scream), having forgotten to cancel, and I was literally on hold for an hour or more. Finally, I used my regular DVD club account number (using the Wolf Huskey Phone-Bypass), got a rep in 10 seconds and explained about also being part of the Video Library and wanting to return the DVD. She was nice and said she'd mail me a label and cancel my membership. It's funny how badly they treat the Video Library crew (this wasn't the first time). "Oh, we'll get to you when we're done with the DVD Club members actually placing orders and giving us their hard-earned money, and maybe after we finish eating our pre-lunch snack, and then our lunch, and then our post-lunch snack, and maybe take read this article on Business Ethics, oh, and take in a Broadway show......" I know it's a business, but every good business should have good customer service and decent priorities, to say the least. Oh, well. That's how the game is played, I guess.

K
Old 12-30-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is another stupid question from yours truely...

What happens if you don't have a driver's license?? (i.e. what if you are not 16 and want to return something...do they just deny you??)
Old 12-30-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Heh, probably gotta get Ma or Pa to do it.

Don't most kids have school IDs they can use?

K
Old 12-30-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
Here is another stupid question from yours truely...

What happens if you don't have a driver's license?? (i.e. what if you are not 16 and want to return something...do they just deny you??)
no id , no return.

school id's are not state or federal government issued id's so I doubt they would use them.