Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

do you think that the matrix sequels will do better than #1?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what ive heard (a 17 min fight scene), this movie will do far better than #1, R rated or not, since the dvd was so popular, every single kid will get their parents or sneak in to go see it. also, i heard that the brothers who are directing these movies dont give a crap on what rating it gets, so if it gets an R, they wont plead to the mpaa to make it pg13.
Old 12-29-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then what if it gets slapped with an NC-17?
Old 12-29-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i highly doubt it would get an nc17
Old 12-29-02, 06:03 PM
Banned

NC-17 Kick Ass!
Old 12-29-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure these sequels will outgross the original. Ok, Matrix Revolutions I can't call...but Matrix Reloaded I believe will have such a huge open (60 million minimum, probably upwards of 80 for the 3 day weekend if not more) that it's destined to outgross the 180 million of the original. If this movie is rated R, I have no doubt it will take the crown as highest grossing R rated movie in the US, a position that's been held by Beverly Hills Cop for almost 19 years. These movies are going to be huge...I have no doubt of that.

Hopefully they will keep the R rating, but considering all the money and support going into these two movies, I don't think Warner Brothers is going to screw around with it too much. NC-17? Ha, not going to happen. First of all the series isn't that violent or sexual, nor does it need to be so NC-17 probably won't happen and doesn't need to. Though it would finally put some credibility into the rating, but these aren't the movies to do it.

Old 12-29-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
cause the higher the rating the better the movie is right?

aslong as their is a good story and plot mixed in with nice fresh fight scenes. I'm down for it.
Old 12-29-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

17 minute fight scene?

Old 12-29-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

according to newsweek there will be one. (it took like 23 days to film) also according to the artical, there will be revolutionary effects that can not be copied (unlike the bullet time effect)
Old 12-29-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In most cases, if the first movie was really good and the sequel keeps almost the same cast and makers, the sequel ALAWAYS does better. Part 3s success will depend on how good 2 does. I do think either will be as good because it will be too hard to make a another movie as creativelt excellent as the Matrix. I am looking forward to both of them and they will no doubt be great, and that 17 min. fight scene sounds sooo sweet.
Old 12-29-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, i think the second movie will do way better then the original. The popularity of the first one grew out of word of mouth, and looking at the Box Office Mojo numbers, i'm amazed at the low dropoff per week. The opening week should be huge.

Numbers from the first film:
$27,788,331
$22,563,331 -18.8%
$17,941,314 -20.5%
$12,642,717 -29.5%
Old 12-29-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
If it is as good, or in the same general neighborhood of quality, it should easily surpass the original in theater revenues. While I do not have figures, I believe that there are millions and millions of Matrix fans (i.e., people who enjoyed the original and are therefore likely to see the sequels) who didn't see it until it was on video.

It is also a film that benefitted greatly from the early surge in DVD popularity, perhaps more than any other film.
Old 12-29-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a foregone conclusion that the Matrix sequels will do much better than the first one. The Matrix has, since its initial success, reached many more people on TV and video/DVD and so it has become a 'classic' of the genre. The fact that I happen to disagree with that statement isn't relevant, the public perception is that the next 2 films are 'event pictures.'
Old 12-29-02, 10:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Some thoughts:

1. The films will not be an NC-17. Not in a million years. You can stop worrying about that now. They will both be R. Period. End of discussion.

2. Any special effect can be copied. But the SFX guy for The Matrix is well-known as an arrogant prick who often talks out of his ass, so those comments don't surprise me.

3. The sequels will easily outgross the original. Again, end of discussion on this one.
Old 12-30-02, 12:25 AM
Banned

Hey,you never know.There's always a possibility of one of the sequels being rated NC-17, maybe not in theaters but on dvd.And yes the sequels will definitely outgross the original.As the fan base grows the more money the sequels will make.
Old 12-30-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Groucho: What, no comment about people getting shot point blank in the head?

I think that comment about the FX being uncopyable had more to do with the fact they spent so much money on some of the bigger effects shots that noone else would be willing to spend that much money, so the FX would never be copied. Or something like that. According to the Newsweek article, the 17 minute action sequence at the end of Revolutuions cost 2/3 of the budget for the first film ($60 million)... that's a $40 million action scene, if true!

The sequels (Reloaded at least) will easily outgross what The Matrix made. I cant wait to see these, they're #2 and #3 on my list of most anticipated films for next year (behind Return of the King)

Brian

Last edited by bdshort; 12-30-02 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-30-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
also consider that since both Reloaded and Revolutions are coming out in the same calendar year, there may be a chance that theater owners will keep Reloaded around long enough that it runs right into Revolutions... OR they will bring back Reloaded a week or two before Revolutions opens.
Old 12-30-02, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it is good, it will do well over $200 million, maybe even $300 Million.

Ticket prices are higher now than 3 or 4 years ago.

My sister did not see the 1st in the theater, but she now loves the movie on VHS. For Christmas I sent her the DVD. I am sure she and her husband will see the new one in the theater.