Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

borders gc can be used at amazon.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i got a regular gc to be used at borders stores, and it says it can be used at borders.com.. does that mean i can use it at amazon.com ?
Old 12-29-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, if you goto borders.com you will notice it looks very similar to amazon.com and when you click on a product it takes to amazon's listing, albeit with a borders logo or something at the top of the page.

can't use share the love or amazon coupons.

can get amazon's price and free shipping (over 25).

one last thing, on your oder summary it doesn't show the full gc/discount, just a note that there is a borders gc attached to the order. not much of an issue, unless you accidentaly type in the gc wrong, you'll be fully charge on your credit card and amazon will never clue you in. plus side after a month of argueing you might get your order for free .
Old 01-03-03, 05:34 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can Borders GC be used together with amazon.com promotional certificate (not coupon)?
Old 01-04-03, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

a word of caution. if it's a Border's Gift Card and starts with 600x and looks like a credit card, you can use it at the Borders.com teamed with Amazon.com site. Make sure all of the items in your cart say that they're "sold by Borders" or something similar and enter the Gift Card number in the field on the payment screen that says "Enter your Border's Gift Card, Gift Certificate or Promotional Claim Code here"

It's it's a regular Borders gift certificate that starts with 120x or something similar, it can only be redeemed at a B&M Borders store even though it might say Borders.com. I believe alot of their paper GCs are still being issued with the pre-merger information on them.

and eau. Here's the verbiage directly from the Help link on their site:

We cannot accept a combination of Amazon.com gift certificates or promotional codes and Borders Gift Cards.

Hope that helps.

-meth
Old 01-14-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone tried using a Borders gift card at Amazon recently?

Mine wouldn't work, so I e-mailed Amazon about it. Received the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.com.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you have experienced when
attempting to use your Borders Gift Card. Our technical staff is
aware of this situation and is working hard to resolve it.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, you will not be able to use your Gift Card for online purchases. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

We invite you to visit our web site again later. We appreciate your business and look forward to fulfilling your order."

So......the down low is, it may have worked at one time, but it's not working now.

But, I have an outstanding invitation to visit their website later, so it ain't all bad.
Old 01-14-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bardevious,
I can confirm that there have been problems using the Borders cards at Amazon. I recently placed an order for 3 items, all to be billed on the Borders card. It confirmed that the Borders card would be charged at checkout.

For some reason, they decided to ship all 3 items in separate shipments (free shipping).
When I got the first email shipping confirmation, it said that the charge went to my credit card, for $xx.xx, and $0.00 to the Borders card.
I called a CSR, and was told that they would reverse the charges and transfer it to the Borders card.

The second shipping confirmation email came, and it said that it had been billed to the Borders card. OK, I thought everything had been straightened out.

But no, the third email once again said that the third charge had gone to my credit card, not the Borders card. Called again, and was told that these charges would be reversed, just like the first item.

So far, I've seen the two original credit card charges from Amazon, but no reversals yet, but they're not overdue. I'm confident that it will get straightened out, but it's a hassle.

So, for anyone using a Borders gift card for an order, I'd check the confirmation email carefully to see what the order was billed to.
Old 01-17-03, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bardevious
....But, I have an outstanding invitation to visit their website later, so it ain't all bad.

lol.

i made a recent purchase using a borders gc, a 50$ one from a test drive ages back. everything seemed to work out fine, got the shippment ( 1 cd, 1 dvd) last friday. i have the rest of the gc sitting on a pre-order of Fear & Loathing, so i hope this problem doesn't affect me. could it have anything to do with Method's post of their being B&M only borders gc's? i guess i should double check with my credit card statement to make sure there wasn't a problem.

oh, btw... it seems STL kinda works through borders. you can't get the STL price but after checkout it takes you to the STL page where you can add people and stuff. i would suppose that whatever you buy is sent out as normal and you would get STL credit if someone buys it, haven't actually seen this done yet, not sure if anyone bought the stuff i did. i guess i'll know for sure when Fear ships.
Old 01-17-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Venom,
It's easy to check the balance of the Borders card to see whether it was charged properly. Just call the number on the back of the card, or check it at Amazon. Go to "my account", and scroll down to where it says "check your Borders card balance".

And, as far as my problem mentioned above, with part of the order charged on the gift card, and the other on my credit card, the adventure continues:
A couple of days ago I got an Amazon email stating that they were having trouble posting a credit to the card, and to contact them with updated card info.
Well, I confirmed that they do have the right card info, which makes sense because it's the same card that they used to charge part of the order to.
Oh well, the CSR said that "they're working on it" and I should expect to hear something within a few days.
There's definitely an intermittent bug in the Amazon/Borders charging system.

Thankfully, another separate order that I placed using a Borders card went through without a hitch and was charged properly.

Last edited by dvd2001; 01-17-03 at 01:18 PM.