Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

anyone know about the Philips DVD recorder?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-28-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The commercial says you can put your vhs tapes onto DVD.

Is this true? What are the limitations of the medium? What is the quality like? I understand that I can take a protected DVD and put it on tape.
Old 12-28-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about protected DVD or not but good luck trying to get the dvd you just made to play in other DVD players. From the reports that I have read 1 in 10 players the disk will work. Even some of the new Philips DVD players won't play then. You may want to take a look at the Panasonic that is DVD+R/+RW for the future. Good Luck
Old 12-28-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-r is the way to go, I would highly recommend the panasonic. just got done making another dvd.
Old 12-29-02, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TheKobra
I don't know about protected DVD or not but good luck trying to get the dvd you just made to play in other DVD players. From the reports that I have read 1 in 10 players the disk will work. Even some of the new Philips DVD players won't play then. You may want to take a look at the Panasonic that is DVD+R/+RW for the future. Good Luck
I have a Philips DVD+r/+rw drive in my computer and it works great. All the Disc I have burned have worked without any problems in all three of my DVD players a PHILIPS a Magnavox and a Samsung players. If you would have looked at VCDHELP.COM you would be able to tell that its a little more than 1 in 10 that can play +r+rw
Old 12-29-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's the quality when transferring miniDV tapes to dvd? is it a lossy transfer?

i've been having problems using the firewire thru my computer so i was thinking about getting a dvd recorder.
Old 12-30-02, 05:02 PM

Buy the Panasonic E30 for $519.00, free shipping UPS Ground or $9.90 overnight FedEx, FedEx is the best buy, you will not be disappointed. Records to DVD-R, write once only and re-writeable RAM. Writing to a RAM is like writing to a hard drive. It is very easy to delete commercials from a RAM.

Plays progressive scan and incorporates "Flexible Recording" ensuring recording at done at the highest bit rate. You will not be disappointed.

www.ecost.com
Old 12-31-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got both Philips and Panasonic units. I like the Philips better, but the Panasonic isn't bad, either. I like the Philips because the erasable discs will play in other players. They've got a firmware update which allows "flex recording" type of thing now also.

Players made since 2000 can usually play DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and often DVD-RW. One in ten? Get real.....check in modern players. Maybe in first generation players from 1997.

Transferring Mini DV tapes (via Philip's firefire connection) results in an awesome picture.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 12-31-02 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-31-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
I've got both Philips and Panasonic units. I like the Philips better, but the Panasonic isn't bad, either. I like the Philips because the erasable discs will play in other players. They've got a firmware update which allows "flex recording" type of thing now also.

Players made since 2000 can usually play DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and often DVD-RW. One in ten? Get real.....check in modern players. Maybe in first generation players from 1997.

Transferring Mini DV tapes (via Philip's firefire connection) results in an awesome picture.

OK you go make a DVD and see if it plays in your DVD player and then come back and tell us.
Old 12-31-02, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

No need for the "get real" comment. He is just repeating what he has read.

This topic is pretty messy but there have been some great threads about the details. If you are interested I recommend a search and read a few.

This is a format war and the staic is often louder then the facts. So research well before you buy!
Old 01-02-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have tested DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW in tons of players. No problems. All formats play fine in my Sony players from 2000 and 2001. Why don't YOU try a DVD-RAM in your buddy's player and see what happens?

This "format war" is SO exaggerated. I mean, it's all DVD, and most players can handle it all. It's just the recording method that's a bit different. My PC can handle a variety of files and attachments in different formats, so who cares?

The manufacturers (at least the smart ones) are building their machines to handle it all.

Me, I pick up a DVD-R, a DVD+R, a DVD+RW, and use them easily in both my own and other players. One time, a really old (1997) player couldn't handle a DVD+R. Guess what! It couldn't play a DVD-R either!

I just keep on using both my Panasonic and Philips players for business and pleasure, while everyone else worries needlessly and spreads mis-information. Enjoy!