Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Something is wrong in Hollywood...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-25-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you see movies like "Extreme Ops" and "The hot chick" being greenlighted for production

Am I turning into a grumpy old fart (I'm 34 IRL) ? Well I don't think so. I can watch "Ice Age" and "Star Wars episode 2" for example and it still touches the kid in me

Do I want to believe that snowboarding dudes and dudettes can SAVE THE WORLD in 24 hrs ? I don't care. Do I wanna watch Rob Schneider hit a girl with a pillow so it sends her crashing into a wall? Ehhh not really; I really miss the fine sophisticated humor of Chris Farley where he was hitting his head everywhere or screaming like a posessed mongoose (sarcasm off).

I can picture a Hollywood exec going : "Wow we will give you 15 Million for that silly movie 'coz we know we are gonna make at least 5 or 10 Million in profits so do what you want... "

I choose to ignore those movies... What do you guys feel about those crappy movies?

Oh on a happy note Happy Holidays to everyone on these posts, you people have been most helpful !!

Cheers!!
Old 12-25-02, 09:05 PM

I think if they overload on those movies, be too many for the teenage audience, and they may go for something more quality and darker wise, audience with no matter how many wow factors if film tech can produce, in the end good character and story eventually gets back, and stays consistent, but the rubbish films have to go out to make us appreciate and see good films, if they were all good, then we would perhaps be spoiled in films, and maybe turn to playing computer games or something, try and enter a film like Last Action Hero, next step up.
Old 12-25-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What's even worse is when movies like the ones you (Josh) mentioned get released, but a movie with a cult following that already has been made doesn't even get released:

Old 12-25-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts
Crap films get made because people pay to watch them.

I cringe before looking at the top 10 boxoffice totals every Monday, knowing it's rare to see a quality film on it.
Old 12-25-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Something is wrong in Hollywood...

Originally posted by Josh
I can picture a Hollywood exec going : "Wow we will give you 15 Million for that silly movie 'coz we know we are gonna make at least 5 or 10 Million in

You know why movies like that are made? Because frankly, the movie really doesn't cost 15 million to make. hell, they are really small budget movies in all truth. the studios see them as "safe" pictures that will atleast turn up some profit in the long run (in over sea's and video release if it doesn't break even in theaters) and they are already known characters. the Rob Schiender(sp) of the pictures. they are not stars that demand a lot of money so the cost of the picture over all is very small so in a sense, it's a small budget film with a big studio feel.

They may suck, but they pay the bills.
Old 12-25-02, 10:01 PM

Bob & David have said numerous times that they want "Run Ronnie, Run" to die a quiet death. Apparently the final cut is nowhere near as funny as they intended it to be, which is a damn shame.

On the subject of bad movies being released... there's always been bad movies to balance out the good ones. Besides, as a DVD reviewer for this place, I always enjoy ripping into an awful movie.... Ah, one of life's guilty little pleasures.

-r
Old 12-25-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know there is an audience for those kind of movies but as far as I can remember, even when I was 14 years old I still had the sense NOT to go see those kind of movies Bah
Old 12-25-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by jackepstein
Bob & David have said numerous times that they want "Run Ronnie, Run" to die a quiet death. Apparently the final cut is nowhere near as funny as they intended it to be, which is a damn shame.

On the subject of bad movies being released... there's always been bad movies to balance out the good ones. Besides, as a DVD reviewer for this place, I always enjoy ripping into an awful movie.... Ah, one of life's guilty little pleasures.

-r

You know Jackepstein, you have a good point, their has to be BAD movies out there so that you can actually tell what is a GOOD movie.
Old 12-26-02, 12:08 AM

There will always be bad movies. Its a fact of life because lots of people simply like to watch bad movies. Go to any local video store and you'll see them from Van Damme straight-to-video releases to bad teen movies. There has never been a period in Hollywood when they didn't produce junk and there never will be. I don't know where this illusion that this generation is any better than the other comes from.

Last edited by Ian11; 12-26-02 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-26-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For every 20 crappy Rob Schneider / direct to video / buzzword of the moment movie, there's one good one.

For every 10 good movies, there's a great one.

So, for every 200 SNL spinoff's, we get The Royal Tenenbaums, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, and Memento.
Old 12-26-02, 02:00 AM

How is this Cavalcade of Crap anything new in Hollywood? Especially since the early 1980's there have always been a flood of throwaway movies. If anything, I'd say there is a little more quality out there than say 15 years ago or even 20. Remember, there is alway far more crap and mediocrity than good films.

The list could be endless, but how are movies like Cannonball Run 2 or One crazy summer any different from the other crap like Extreme Ops and The Hot Chick? Don't go see the crap and it will dissappear faster.

Unfortunately, alot of times the crap is a hit though. For every Two Towers or Adaptation there will be 50 Mummy's and Armageddon's.
Old 12-26-02, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You do realize their has been a lot of "crappy movies" release way before the 80's aswell. for every GOOD movie, their will have to be crap released. It's just the way life is.
Old 12-26-02, 05:16 AM

Most likely jack, but I blame the late 70's and early 80's on the creation of the insipid "Teen Comedy" genre.
Also the 80's get blamed for the "Formula Movie"
But yes, crap has always been there.
Old 12-26-02, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
How is this Cavalcade of Crap anything new in Hollywood? Especially since the early 1980's there have always been a flood of throwaway movies. If anything, I'd say there is a little more quality out there than say 15 years ago or even 20. Remember, there is alway far more crap and mediocrity than good films.
Hollywood still releases as much crap as they did back in the 1980's, the difference is that back then the independent scene was almost non-existent.

Hollywood started switching their marketing back in the late 70's from adults to teenagers after the success of films such as Star Wars & Jaws. The Drive-in market was also pretty much gone, so that the smaller studios who produced fare for this market (mostly teenagers) bit the dust. Hollywood took over this market and ever since we are bombarded with about 90% of crap from them. Hollywood has always made bad films, but not to the extent of what we seen since the early 80's. Also, the studios were taken over by marketing people who have as much knowledge & talent for film as I have in my little finger. Movies have also become very, very expensive, studios are unwilling to take any risks which is why we see a ton of sequels, remakes and "one big idea" films.

But you can't fault Hollywood entirely, I'm sure they would make better films if they thought there was an audience for them. Regretably the average moviegoer in this country doesn't seem to care what they watch so why should Hollywood?
Old 12-26-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rushmore223
I blame the late 70's and early 80's on the creation of the insipid "Teen Comedy" genre.
Well, Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall and the Bowery Boys were big in the 40's ... and that was some pretty insipid low-brow comedy. (A lot of it was fun nevertheless.)
Old 12-26-02, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by darkflounder
For every 20 crappy Rob Schneider / direct to video / buzzword of the moment movie, there's one good one.
Really? Please stop joking, man.
Old 12-26-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Do we have to have a thread that discusses how crappy Hollywood is nowadays every single weak? We should just sticky one of these.

And by the way I can watch The Hot Chick and Mulholland Drive, and enjoy them both for what they are. I don't consider myself "too intelligent" to laugh at some lowbrow things.
Old 12-26-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
If you all recall, there was a good threat of an actor/screenwriter strike about a year ago. What happened was that the fear of the strike made studios green-light almost everything and got it all made asap so they'd have material to see them through the strike.

The strike never happened, what what we're seeing now is the result of all those dumb, half-assed films that were done without any thought.
Old 12-26-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind the crappy releases. It gives my wallet time to take a rest between releases I want to buy. If we were getting 10 awesome movies a week that were high in quality and great in every way, we'd be a whole lot poorer.
Old 12-26-02, 04:37 PM
Banned

I would prefer if there were better movies get made. I mean there are like maybe only 2 a year that I really like. That's sad. 1994 had a ton!
Old 12-26-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's hard to make a good anything. 90% of all music and film is rejected and never published. The 10% that is published and made still has a lot of poor quality stuff in there.