Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ps2 wireless controllers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-02, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ps2 wireless controllers

i know that there are a few,

1. logitech rated very very good, and thinking of getting it.

2. madcatz, poor rating

does anyone know if a dual shock2 wireless is in the making or already made?
Old 12-25-02, 07:25 PM

Pelican makes a shock controller. Not sure how well it works though. I use the Logitech wireless ps2 one and love it.
Old 12-25-02, 08:40 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Pelican controller is on sale tomorrow at CC (I think)... I was also curious as to how people liked it.
Old 12-26-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by a123slonky
Pelican makes a shock controller. Not sure how well it works though. I use the Logitech wireless ps2 one and love it.
The Pelican one (least the one here ) looks like crap.

I'm returning the logitech one today to BB. I hate it. The Dpad is round (i perfer a cross) its way too large, the analog sticks are cheezy and they stick.
Old 12-26-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen the "Top Gun" controller on Ebay? I looks like it is made of Lego's or something. I wish Sony would make their own, like the Wavebird!
Old 11-10-03, 12:34 PM

So in my continuing search for a wireless controller, i found this thread. One person says he loves the Logitech, another says he hates it, ugghhh...any thoughts or any websites that compare the PS2 wireless controllers, i'm really getting confused..
Old 11-10-03, 12:52 PM

I would suggest the Fountech Airstyle, talk about in this thread. I have yet to use one but it's supposed to be the best out there for ps2. My local Game Crazy swears they're going to get them in eventually, but if you wanted to order one online I would suggest here at lik-sang. They have a great reputation and that's about the cheapest you're going to find it.
Old 11-10-03, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by SteveGo
I would suggest the Fountech Airstyle, talk about in this thread. I have yet to use one but it's supposed to be the best out there for ps2. My local Game Crazy swears they're going to get them in eventually, but if you wanted to order one online I would suggest here at lik-sang. They have a great reputation and that's about the cheapest you're going to find it.
I have the Airstyle controller and it is almost as good as the 1st party controller. I've tried most the other controllers and none even come close to the Airstyle. See the IGN review here:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/409/409786p1.html
Old 11-10-03, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the input Roan..I'm really looking towards the logitech for the simple reason that its in stores and i can return it should I not like it without having to pay extra shipping, etc etc..

You say you've tried most of the other controllers, can you tell me what you didn't like about the logitech? was it the size? If this Airstyle was in a store, i would definately buy this one, but again, its hard to find in retail...
Old 11-10-03, 01:14 PM

I'm going to get one sooner or later, it's just I have enough credit to get one at Game Crazy if it ever comes in. It's been in their computers for almost a month but no sign of it. Not too mention my ps2 is with Sony right now getting repaired for Disc Read Errors, for free luckily. So no rush
Old 11-10-03, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by dasmooth1
Thanks for the input Roan..I'm really looking towards the logitech for the simple reason that its in stores and i can return it should I not like it without having to pay extra shipping, etc etc..

You say you've tried most of the other controllers, can you tell me what you didn't like about the logitech? was it the size? If this Airstyle was in a store, i would definately buy this one, but again, its hard to find in retail...
I didn't actually play with the Logitech but I did hold it. I didn't like the way it was laid out and the way it felt. If you haven't read the IGN review, you may want to read it.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/368/368554p1.html

I ordered my Airstyle from http://www.hyper-cafe.com/ which is located in California. They shipped it fast and I haven't had any problems.
Old 11-10-03, 01:45 PM

yeah, i read that IGN review...wasn't too favorable..the Airstyle seems to be the one to get, but Lik-Sang charges $10 for shipping, making a $50 controller...so again, do I pay $50 bucks at Best buy for the logitech, where i can return it, or spend $50 on Lik-Sang and have to pay additional for a return? uggghhh, y is this so hard!!
Old 11-10-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why don't you just get the Logitech wireless for PS2. Play with it for a week or two, and if you don't like it, return it and get the Fountech. Since you can return the logitech but not the fountech without incurring shipping charges.
Old 11-10-03, 02:32 PM
fab

I have a Foundtech Airstyle and it works great. Looks and feels very much like the 1st Party Sony controller. I paid $50 shipped for it from Hyper-Cafe.com. Kind of expensive, but way better than the Logitech one, and no more messy wires for my kids to trip over.

I just wish I could get a non-infrared wireless controller for my Dreamcast and Nintendo 64.

--
fab
Old 11-10-03, 04:26 PM

actually, thats not a bad idea Joshic...i might give that whirl..

I went to EB and Gamestop, both had basically the same crap, Madcatz & Logitech, but Gamestop has it's own "Gamestop" branded wireless controller..it came bundled with a Dvd remote, and looked just like the PS2 controller (and thus the Airstyle)..thing is that it was all bundled up and i couldn't even see where the R2 & L2 buttons were placed...I'm pissed that no one lets you "feel" these controllers, they're made to be used in your hand, yet you can't feel them in your hand until you fork over the money..thats like buying a car without sitting in it first, and who would be stupid enough to do that?? bastards!
Old 11-10-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use the Logitech wireless for most games but the round D-Pad does make gaming difficult for some titles and I have to pull out the wired controller sometimes.
Old 11-10-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fab

I just wish I could get a non-infrared wireless controller for my Dreamcast and Nintendo 64.

--
fab
You can get adaptors to use PS2 controllers on the DC which should work just fine for your wireless controllers.
Old 11-11-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dasmooth1
I'm pissed that no one lets you "feel" these controllers, they're made to be used in your hand, yet you can't feel them in your hand until you fork over the money..thats like buying a car without sitting in it first, and who would be stupid enough to do that?? bastards!
As I'm sure you all know, at Best Buy you can feel and try out keyboards, mice, joysticks, and gamepads for the PC before you buy. But they don't do the same for console peripherals. Which is something they should definitely do...
Old 11-11-03, 10:01 AM

I was ready to buy the logitech yesterday, but when i played around with it at best buy (they have a sample), the joysticks were just too damn loose, no resistance...best buy also has the Pelican Predator, which IGN gives a favorable review, its $20 cheaper, but that one is not out for display, so i have no idea how that one feels..so maybe i'll go with that or maybe i'll order that Airstyle...

Last edited by dasmooth1; 11-11-03 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-03-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Costco has the Pelican Predator 2-pack for $50. I picked one up for the wife to wrap up for me for Christmas.

Does anyone actually have one of these who can attest to how good or bad it is?

Seemed like the size was th most similar to the priginal ps2 controller. One difference is the l2, r2 buttons are lower. Is it that big a deal?

How is the response time on this? Any delays?

One thing I liked is that the 2-pack comes in one black, one silver.
Old 12-03-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Bought it last week for $15 at BB for BF sale + coupon. It's OK. It's suprisngly light. Doesn't feel too flimsey, either. There are channel selectors on it and the receiver so that two can be used at one time. The one thing I don't like is the size of the face buttons, they're way too small. The placement of L2 & R2 is weird as well, but maybe you get used to it. I've noticed good performance and no lag. I haven't really tried it too far away (due to my set up I can only be about 20 feet away and still see the TV), but it's been working fine for me. Oh, and there's no vibration feature which is why it feels so light.

Here's a review of the corded pad. I haven't found one of the wireless one yet. For the $$ it's a great deal.
Old 12-03-03, 10:17 AM
fab

I had the chance to try out the Pelican Predator.

It's a good pad, but the L2 and R2 buttons are crap. They are positioned in an unnatural way and they don't work half the time unless you press them just right.

The rest of the pad is good.. the analog sticks feel good, the d-pad is good, the buttons are good.. but the L2 and R2 thing is unforgivable.

I also had to cover up the IR sensor on the front of the controller port dongle as my TV remote would keep causing problems with the thing; it has an IR sensor for a DVD remote but just hitting the video input select button would cause it to lose connection with the RF controller.. weird.

I'm going to just buy another AirStyle.

--
fab
Old 12-04-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Bought it last week for $15 at BB for BF sale + coupon. It's OK. It's suprisngly light. Doesn't feel too flimsey, either. There are channel selectors on it and the receiver so that two can be used at one time. The one thing I don't like is the size of the face buttons, they're way too small. The placement of L2 & R2 is weird as well, but maybe you get used to it. I've noticed good performance and no lag. I haven't really tried it too far away (due to my set up I can only be about 20 feet away and still see the TV), but it's been working fine for me. Oh, and there's no vibration feature which is why it feels so light.

Here's a review of the corded pad. I haven't found one of the wireless one yet. For the $$ it's a great deal.
The one I bought at Costco and the one on sale at best buy last week during black friday were different, if i remember correctly. the predator i picked up had the vibration mode on it.

did you buy the pelican chameleon?

Last edited by SoSpacey; 12-04-03 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-04-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Oops, you're right. I got the Chameleon.

Can I say how nice it is to play a game wirelessly? Why Sony and MS don't have their own wireless pads yet is beyond me (well, except for the Live communicator slot for the Xbox which might be hard to do wireless). If Ratchet can play his PS2 with a wireless controller, why can't I?
Old 12-05-03, 02:45 PM

Airstyle mini-groupbuy for West LA

Placing an order for 1 or 2 airstyles with Lik-Sang. Shipping's a bitch (they ship from Hong Kong) ... so I want to try to get some people in on the action. The most economical would be if I can place an order for 5 airstyles (price of each airstyle drops to $34.50 instead of $40), which brings the cost of shipping (UPS - takes 1-3 days they claim) to $34 (additional airstyles barely affect the shipping cost thereafter). They have a slightly cheaper shipping method which takes 2-4 weeks, but I don't want to deal with the wait.
I'll probably place the order sometime next week. Ideally, I'd like to order with people who can pick up the airstyle personally. I live in West LA (zip: 90064). Otherwise, shipping arrangements can be made at the cost of the buyer. Let me know via email (What happened to PM?).

Last edited by zeppelin; 12-05-03 at 02:57 PM.