Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for more reviews on Philips 724at dvd player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-02, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have personal expierence with the Philips 724 progressive player? Trying to decide between that and the other Philips Q50. Thanks =)
Old 12-27-02, 01:31 AM
mdX

cheap, uses the mediamatics pantera II/2 chip for both mpeg decoding and deinterlacing. average video quality - slightly softer than pioneer/panasonic/toshibas. can be hacked via remote for region-free playback, but doesn't convert properly between PAL->NTSC (this is a firmware issue, as the hardware is capable) - aspect ratio is not maintained. the unit I have has random dropouts and freezes, moreso on PAL discs than NTSC. needless to say, it's going back soon
Old 12-27-02, 07:57 PM
Banned

I thought it had the sage chip as the philips Q50 and the Toshiba 4800 and also the Panny 82? Weired, I have read great reviews on the player. Any othe thoughts on this player???
Old 12-27-02, 10:42 PM

shon,

When it first came out Phillips advertised it with the Sage FLI2200 deinterlacer, when in fact it didn't have it and ended up being Apex quality. Please spend your money on a good player like a Panasonic RP82/CP72/XP50 or a JVC XV-S500 or XV-SA600 DVD player.
Old 12-28-02, 09:34 PM
Banned

Philips 724at

Well, purchased the 724at, played a couple dvd's and found that it had a few skips on Lord of the Rings which never had that problem on my RCA5240. All in all it had a pretty good picture and the audio was very good but the skipping scared me, so I returned it and purchased the Panny CP72. VERY nice picture and audio. Have only had it 1 day but so far I am impressed. Some have stated that the changer is noisey, just slightly but not enough to even mention it as a negitive factor for this machine.

Paid $219 w/ $30 mail in rebate at Circuit City. All I can say is that if the mechanics hold up and with the great progressive pictue and terrific audio and other countless freatures, I cant see spending more for any other machine... Although I have limited experience with other progressive players. Very good buy.