Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How are the recent Harry Potter games?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 02:26 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are the recent Harry Potter games?

I have the new Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets game for Gamecube unwrapped, ready to be opened on Christmas, but... I'm having trouble deciding if I should keep it or not. From what I've heard the game is fairly entertaining, but it has atrocious loading times, is very glitchy, feels incomplete in many ways, and is only 6 hours of true gameplay (if true is just horrible!). Also, how different are the console versions of the game? Reviews have been a mixed bag, and if it's not up to par, I will wait to exchange it for Nightfire or LOTR: TTT when it is released on the 31st. Thanks!
Old 12-24-02, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

personally, I would rather have either nightfire or LOTR:TTT in place of Harry Potter.... Either one of them would be better than Potter... IMO
Old 12-24-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would one have to have seen the movies (or know the story) to enjoy the games or can you just jump right in and get caught up?
Old 12-24-02, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 5 1/2 year old daughter was playing this on GC in gamecrazy yesterday. She enjoyed it but she is on 5 1/2. I ended up buying her the game for the GBA.
Old 12-24-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If a 5 1/2 can enjoy this maybe I'll pick this up as a rental this week (if my bastard BBV has a copy available) for the holiday.
Old 12-24-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented COS for Xbox back in November and it was amusing if you're a fan of the series. I'd give the game an average rating. It's nothing great and I remember there being a few frustrating aspects of the game.

The Quidditch game and broom-riding kicks ass though.
Old 12-26-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
It's available at Blockbuster, used, buy one get one free, for around 35 bucks. YMMV, of course. But I picked that, Mario Party 4, and PS2 Lord of the Rings for free.

It's a decent game, surprisingly so for a licensed game. Between this and LOTR, EA is getting better. It is glitchy, and sometimes suffers from the camera angle problems that plague a lot of platformers (though the camera is easily adjustible, it just makes me dizzy). I wasn't really interested in the title, and had hoped that it would make a pleasant diversion for my wife, who loves Harry Potter and has recently found a first time videogame addiction in Animal Crossing. As it is, it's probably a good game for kids, and does follow the general flow of the movie, at least from what I've seen. If you haven't seen the movie, you'll probably be puzzled at why things happen in the order that they do. In fact, if you're not a fan of the books or the movie, I don't think the game is strong enough on it's own to warrant a purchase.

For the Gamecube version, there's also unlockable levels when linked up with GBA version, but I'm not investing that much into it...