Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rate the recent Trilogies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which Trilogy is the best
LOTR
85.11%
Harry Potter
4.26%
Star Wars prequels
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's my ranking

1. LOTR
2. Harry Potter
3. Star Wars prequels

I've never read any LOTR books or Harry Potter
but both trilogies IMO were much more interesting than SW
Old 12-23-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. Harry Potter is much better as a book..

Can't really say, but I feel LOTR is great, but more of a "once in a while" watch.

Star Wars however.. I can watch over and over.. yes, even the prequels.. so they get my vote.

BTW.. none of these are trilogies yet. And one would argue that none of them will ever be. LOTR is supposed to be 1 long movie split into 3 parts (I guess). Star Wars is 6 movies, though by most logic you could seperate the 2 into seperate trilogies. And HP will be 7 long.
Old 12-23-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matrix?
Old 12-23-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rate the recent Trilogies

Originally posted by syphon00
here's my ranking

1. LOTR
2. Harry Potter
3. Star Wars prequels
Movie-wise(since this is the movie forum), I'd have to say ditto. But if it's over-all enjoyment of the story including the books--of which Potter will have 7 by the end of the story--Harry gets my vote.
Old 12-23-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I think it's too soon to rate Matrix, since we've only seen one of them. We'll know better about that by this time next year tho
Old 12-23-02, 01:02 PM

I've been a life-long Star Wars fanatic, but LOTR is over taking even the original Star Wars trilogy for me. I can't believe I'm saying that. It's just that good. Definately better than the prequels.
Old 12-23-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I think it's too soon to rate Matrix, since we've only seen one of them. We'll know better about that by this time next year tho
maybe, but the matrix trilogy will be completed before any of the others...though not significantly earlier than LOTR.
Old 12-23-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How could Harry potter be a trilogy if there has been 2 movies made and 4 books released (out of a total of 7 books that will end the series)?

Just a thought.
Old 12-23-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
LotR
Star Wars
Harry Potter (lifeless direction by Christopher Columbus)

Matrix?
What about the sequels to Unbreakable?
Old 12-23-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi

Can't really say, but I feel LOTR is great, but more of a "once in a while" watch.
I feel just the opposite. I watched AoTC for the third time the other night, and it felt very tired and boring to me. Maybe it was the terrible dialog that is beginning to appear more obvious to me, but something was just lost from my previous viewings.

LoTR, on the other hand, feels just as incredible as it did when I first saw it. I have watched the theatrical version 5 times, and the EE three times, and I still can't get enough of it.
Old 12-23-02, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
LotR
Star Wars
Harry Potter (lifeless direction by Christopher Columbus)
Same here.
Old 12-23-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which is better...

Doing #1 or doing #2?
Old 12-23-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chess
maybe, but the matrix trilogy will be completed before any of the others...though not significantly earlier than LOTR.
huh? when is matrix (3) coming out? i know reloaded is in may right?
Old 12-23-02, 11:23 PM

Harry Potter
And I thought Douglas Adams wrote the only four-part trilogy! (Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy)

It looks like J.K. Rowling is beating him by 3 points
Old 12-24-02, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ravan
not sure exactly, but i think they are being released about 6 months apart. probably may and november.

maybe i'm an optimist, but i think the Matrix trilogy will end up being a very very close second to the LotR trilogy. Star Wars and Potter aren't even close...but cool nonetheless.
Old 12-24-02, 06:48 AM
Banned

It's been said before and apparently needs to be said for some time more: "The Lord of the Rings" is not a trilogy. It is one story. Any one part of the story can not, should not, be judged without the other two thirds.
Old 12-24-02, 09:21 AM

maybe I need to go back to watching the old SW movies
cuz the new ones are just terrible IMO
they rely way too much on CG and the story/acting is not that great either even with the some of hollywood's brightest, there's only so much they can do the material so it's not really their fault

if I wanted to watch a CG fest, I'd go play video games
Old 12-24-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by invisigoth
It's been said before and apparently needs to be said for some time more: "The Lord of the Rings" is not a trilogy. It is one story. Any one part of the story can not, should not, be judged without the other two thirds.
i see your point, but make no mistake...

3 movies = a trilogy

further, make no mistake about this...

a movie, any movie can and should be judged on it's own merits.

the good news is that both of the LotR movies have fared quite well in that regard IMO. the second one could have been edited better, but was still the best movie i saw this year.
Old 12-24-02, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by nice_skis
And I thought Douglas Adams wrote the only four-part trilogy! (Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy)

It looks like J.K. Rowling is beating him by 3 points
Actually, Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's "trilogy" consists of five books (not counting the short story prequel "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe"):[list=1][*]The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[*]The Restaurant at the End of the Universe[*]Life, the Universe and Everything[*]So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish[*]Mostly Harmless[/list=1]
Old 12-24-02, 12:19 PM

To though who as doubted the Matrix. The Matrix was always meant to be and will be a trilogy. In fact the Wachowski Brothers talked to the Producers telling them they have 3 movies and were told "Let's just do the one, three would be great, but let's try just one first"

View the Matrix revisted to hear that comment. So they had the whole trilogy all planned out even before the first movie came out. Same as Lucas with SW. Hence the Matrix is a trilogy.
Old 12-24-02, 12:43 PM

Here is how I rate the (book and movie) series

1. Lord of the Rings: So far we have only seen two parts of the trilogy, but I am really impressed with the movies.... and of course the books are old favorites.

2. Star Wars: The original trilogy was great... the two new ones were a little lackluster IMO great effects but weak on character and dialogue.... So this one is a sextology... but I still wish that somebody (even if it isn't Lucas) would go back and make it a nonology.

3. Harry Potter: So far a great book series (I just wish she would write faster) and two really well done movies... so this one is gonna end up as a septology.

4. Matrix: One really groundbreaking movie... and high hopes for the other two and I can't wait to see the expanded universe (Anamatrix)

5: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: Great book series (a pentology), but nobody has made a decent movie version of it IMO. I wish Gilliam would get his mitts on it, but that is just a dream...
Old 12-25-02, 01:54 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by ravan
Around Thanksgiving of 2003
Old 12-25-02, 02:57 AM

Okay, its a given. Movie makers can make movies with spectacular special effects. What makes these movies special? The characters we take the journey with.

1. LOTR by a small margin. I'm just talking films now. The richness in detail in a truly immersive world and the same loving attention given to characters is what is really driving the movies. LOTR literally bursts in its seams wanting to tell more than its allowed to but is still highly enjoyable to Tolkien fans as well as the general audience. There were many times I had a lump in my throat and I haven't felt that from a Hollywood Blockbuster since Spielberg's E.T. And as an older person I appreciate more of its themes compared to Star Wars.

2. Star Wars (Episodes 4-6) Not only did George Lucas dream up his own universe but he made them into movies as well (ok he directed the 1st and produced/"oversaw" the other 2). The special effects and creatures were spectacular but we were equally enamored of Han, Luke, Leia, R2, 3P0, Chewie, Yoda, and the Millenium Falcon. *The new SW films is a joyless experience. I enjoy certain aspects of them but more out of respect for the originals. It lacks what the previous films had; a soul and a lot of spunk. Back then, the limitations of technology forced them to be more creative and pay more attention to characters.

3. Harry Potter: I sorta liked the first book and the movie because of the wonder of discovery and possibilities in the eyes of its characters. But I really disliked the Chamber of Secrets. The popularity of these series with young kids and some older is undeniable. The problem is the tone. SW and LOTR do seem like tales from "long ago" the people and their values are different not just the sets and costumes. The characters in Harry Potter are thorougly post-modern and that's a turn-off. Another is the lack of development, complexity, and lack of struggle of its main character. Harry Potter is too god-like and already preformed. No arc as a hero or as a character. I don't worry about him at all. I'm more concerned and feel more sympathy for Ron Weasly. That's a problem.

*The Matrix will probably be number 3 for me but since the 2nd one isn't even out its impossible to give it ranking yet. But I doubt it'll rate higher than SW or LOTR because I'm not interested in the characters of the Matrix as much as LOTR and SW.

Last edited by Ian11; 12-25-02 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-25-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm. lets see were on a Forum all about LOTR with LOTR fans showing up in droves. What do you think would win. Its like going to a Yankees forum and asking what your favorite baseball team is.
Old 12-25-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Many say that LOTR isn't a trilogy but a single movie split into three parts. I could buy that, but I can also see it being considered a trillogy, since it has been released in three books, though they are more tied together than the others are. However, that's a moot point though, since pretty soon LOTR won't be a trilogy in terms of number of films once Peter Jackson has it's own prequel, "The Hobbit", released later. They were already talking of doing it last year and with the success of TTT, I'm betting New Line is getting resources lined up for that now.

I'm surprised that noone's mentioned other famous trilogies such as "The Man with No Name" trilogy and the Godfather trilogy as well. Though if we're sticking with fantasy and sci-fi themes, I guess those would be excluded.

Probably as far as uncompleted "trilogies" we should throw in the Terminator series too, though with Arny getting older, one wonders how big the third one will be in that series. I guess we'll find out later next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.