Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CyberHome CH-402 Questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-02, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to purchase a CyberHome CH-402 as a second player. Its main use will be for playing SVCDs and as a region free player (I'm going to see if I can get this "region free" Bruce Lee set to finally work in a player). After reading reviews on VCDHelp.com, this players appears to handle SVCDs alot better than the CH-500. For $50 (after MIR) this player looks to be the best deal. So here are my questions:

1) I plan on making my own SVCDs. My cousin sends me Divx movies of his kid and I want to put them on the TV rather than crowd the family around the computer monitor. I plan on using TMPGenc to encode them and VCDEasy to burn them. Has anyone tried these programs and their compatibility with this player? I know it works, I just want to know if it will work on this player.

2) How durable is this player? From what I read, it will play anything that you can throw at it. I would just like a few more opinions.

3) Anything bad to say about this player? Please let me know.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 12-22-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out www.nerd-out.com for full discussions of the 402. Personally, I'd skip it. Spend the extra $10 and get the much better 500.
Old 12-22-02, 01:25 PM
Banned

For me, the CH-500 is much worse than the CH-402. All reviews of the 500 say that it has a very hard time playing SVCDs. Being that I plan on playing SVCDs, getting the CH-500 would be a waste of money. I already have a primary player, and I am just looking for a secondary player to play everything my primary player won't.
Old 12-22-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless of course you download the firmware upgrade for SVCD playback from www.cyberhome.com which will fix the out of the box SVCD issues.
Old 12-24-02, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by renaldow
Unless of course you download the firmware upgrade for SVCD playback from www.cyberhome.com which will fix the out of the box SVCD issues.
Well, I looked into the firmware upgrade, and it only fixes one of the problems that the 500 has with SVCDs. This is okay if you have one of the SVCDs that worked in the first place, but just had video shacking, but doesn't help any of the disc that didn't play in the first place. Also, this firmware upgrade removes some features that the 500 had. Its a trade-off that I don't care to assess. I'm still looking for any opinions on the 402. Thanks.