Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me: should I register Gamespy Arcade or All-Seeing Eye?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently using the free version of Gamespy Arcard (ads and all). They're running some type of promotion right now to register for life for $20. Searching on here a lot of people don't like Gamespy.

How is All-Seeing Eye better and is it worth the $30 to register for life? I currently play just Half-life mods but may expand into something else later on.
Old 12-22-02, 02:09 AM

Why pay?

Unless you really enjoy the program and are thankful for it, use it as shareware.
Old 12-22-02, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid the $20 fee when they were giving away a Mag. Subscription with it. The time you save skipping over those mundane AD's is worth the $20 IMHO. What is your time worth to you? Your time is a finite resource... use it wisely.

This was Gamespy Arcade.
Old 12-22-02, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People actually use Game spy still?

Even back in the day that it was free it sucked major nuts. Depends on which games you play. Me personally, wouldn't pay a cent for game spy. Most games have their own engine for online search as it is.
Old 12-22-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't stand gamespy, even without the ads it's just not a good program.... I registered ASE a while ago and I love it - everything you need is easy to find, the buddy lists can be huge (and you don't have to get permission to add people to your list), all the info is out on one page (no flipping through a ton of sub menus to find the game type you want, just click a folder) and it's not a resource hog like GS. The only problem is that sometimes there won't be any game support... When BF1942 first came out there was no support for ASE, but it was added in later. Right now there's no support for Medal of Honor: Spearhead and it doesn't seem like there will be any time soon .
Old 12-22-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GameSpy wants you to register now even if you want to use File Planet to download MAME. And it's not just your email, they want addresses, ZIP codes, alternate addresses, birthdays, phone numbers.

I know what they want to do with it, make no mistake about it, they want to sell that info to advertisers. But something seems about the fact they want all that personal information so I can download a freeware like MAME.