Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GameCube Under the Shadow of Xbox (IGN article)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-21-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An IGN article at:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/380/380934p1.html

December 20, 2002 - Xbox executives can pop a bottle of champagne. Apparently, people are diggin' the Xbox. The proof doesn't come from some over-enthusiastic PR spin or anyone's personal numbers. All you need do is take a look at the numbers and you'll see that Xbox is in the midst of crushing the GameCube.

According to the NPD Group, one of the most respected market research firms in the industry, November marked the seventh consecutive month Xbox outsold GameCube in terms of hardware and has outsold GameCube in software in all thirteen months of its existence. Selling nearly 500,000 consoles in November, Xbox nearly doubled its sales numbers from October. Xbox consoles have edged GameCube by 20% in total sales, a considerable gap, especially when you look at the great first-party titles Nintendo has managed to release this year.

In November, Xbox saw it's second best month of software sales to date, with 2.4 million units selling. That's 10% more than the GameCube, but still far below the might of PS2. In terms of GameCube versus Xbox, though, Microsoft's console has sold 34% more software overall than GameCube. The Xbox also maintains the highest attach rate to date for a console that's thirteen months old, with 4.7 games per unit sold.

Further proof of Microsoft's growing dominance over GameCube comes when comparing the two bundle offers. Microsoft's Xbox bundle that comes with Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future has outsold the GameCube Mario bundle by 335,000 units or 131%. However, it should be noted that the GameCube bundle is not nearly as widely available, which could contribute to the wide gap.

The GameCube is often saddled with piss-poor ports of multi-platform games and it shows in terms of sales. The Xbox has managed 58% greater third-party sales than GameCube according to Microsoft.

Though Microsoft has yet to come close to the PS2 in terms of installed base, the big MS can take comfort in knowing their online programs has bested PS2 from the get-go. Comparing their first month of sales, Xbox Live outsold PS2 Network Adapters by 14% and the three major Live titles (Ghost Recon, MechAssault, and Unreal Championship) sold over 300,000 copies combined in just the last half of November and managed an astounding attach rate of 80%.

With far bigger titles on the horizon for Microsoft next year and very few big franchises left in Nintendo's bag for 2003, it could be an even merrier X-Mas for Microsoft a year from now. Of course, we'll be back to let you know how this little ol' console war is turning out.
Old 12-21-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. I got a good laugh from this.
Old 12-21-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesnt matter. Nintendo has already sunk enough into R&D that a successor to the cube is a certainty. Apparently they think theyre profitable enough.
Old 12-21-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ugh. Didn't Nintendo just release numbers saying they were selling more then Xbox? I know MS also had a release as well. The numbers above seem a bit crazy.

I don't know who to believe anymore. I felt that the xbox bundle would make the unit sell better then Nintendo's offering. But thankfully I don't really care as I have been getting some of the best games ever made to play on my GC. Keep them coming Nintendo. And Jolt is right, Nintendo will be present again next time around, and I think they will be playing a slightly different ball game.

-This has been a crappy post, but I don't care as I am drugged.
Old 12-21-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nintendo needs to make a better bundle. It would be great if they had a Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine Bundle, but they won't.
Old 12-21-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait we have breaking news......

NPD is reporting that Sega is celebrating it's best November yet. The Sega Saturn has sold more units this November than the Atari Jaguar!! Sega officials are celebrating because now it's only a 2 horse race between Sega and Coleco.

Old 12-21-02, 10:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Old 12-22-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I wouldn't sale nintendo is under xbox's thumb just yet. both systems still seem to be going strong with no sight on anyone in the lead.
Old 12-22-02, 10:41 AM

This is probably based on US sales. Nintendo could just as easily claim they are selling more (but in Japan).
Old 12-22-02, 10:57 AM
zig

At least the one from Nintendo was a press release and you could expect it to have major spin on it. This thing was written by the editors at xbox.ign.com. Pathetic.
Old 12-22-02, 11:42 AM

"At least the one from Nintendo was a press release and you could expect it to have major spin on it. This thing was written by the editors at xbox.ign.com. Pathetic."

Actually, that's not quite right. The IGN article cites numbers compiled by industry watchdog, the NPD Group. So, it's not like IGN just made these numbers up.
Old 12-22-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The sales numbers are twisted a bit. You can buy a GameCube with the Mario bundle or without. Most people seem to be buying it without. The Xbox is now only available as a bundle. So sure the Xbox bundle is outselling the GameCube bundle, but its not outselling the GameCube hardware wise. It was dead even in November.

Considering the PS2 is firmly stomping the Xbox into the ground I find this article very funny. Nothing like bragging about who the best loser is.

The Xbox and GameCube both seem to be doing okay considering the domination of the PS2, but there is no sense getting pumped up about being a distant second place.
Old 12-22-02, 11:56 AM

They kinda did just make it up, actually. The NPD numbers that I've seen, which were subsequently cited in an ignCUBE article (http://cube.ign.com/articles/380/380790p1.html) show the two consoles dead even for November sales, not including WalMart. Nintendo has always claimed that their sales are much higher in WalMart, for what it's worth.
Old 12-22-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thing was written by the editors at xbox.ign.com. Pathetic.
Seriously. It sounds like it came from some fanboy website.
Old 12-22-02, 05:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Kellehair
Seriously. It sounds like it came from some fanboy website.
Well it's all about the games, I own all three and I really don't care which one is doing the best or worst as long as the games are there. Both of the new releases feel "spun".

Kellehair, don't you as an Xbox owner feel glad you own it because there are some cool looking games in the future for it? Not to mention right now with XBL being great.
Old 12-22-02, 06:42 PM

I also own all three systems and really have no vested interest in this issue one way or another. But, for what it's worth, it seems like more outlets agree with the IGN article than with the Nintendo press release. Check out GameIndustry.biz take on this story (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=ret&aid=1073). It tracks pretty darn close to the IGN report. Further, check out this follow-up news story correcting a "typo" that had Nintendo leap-frogging over Microsoft in console sales in November (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...me=ret&aid=924) which may be contributing to some of the misinformation floating around out there.
Old 12-22-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kellehair, don't you as an Xbox owner feel glad you own it because there are some cool looking games in the future for it?
Nope. I bought the Xbox because I thought there were some cool looking games for it (and becasue it was free ) but I've been mostly disappointed. Halo, Sega GT 2002, JSRF, Shenmue 2, and others didn't live up to my expectations. Couple that with the fact that it seems like almost every big name Xbox game turns out to be a flop and I'm not gonna get my hopes up for any future Xbox titles just yet. I know all that might sound harsh, and I know a lot of people here don't agree, but that's how I feel.

Anyways, this is all besides the point. I just think the IGN article seems like it was written by a fanboy.
Old 12-22-02, 07:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Kellehair
Nope. I bought the Xbox because I thought there were some cool looking games for it (and becasue it was free ) but I've been mostly disappointed. Halo, Sega GT 2002, JSRF, Shenmue 2, and others didn't live up to my expectations. Couple that with the fact that it seems like almost every big name Xbox game turns out to be a flop and I'm not gonna get my hopes up for any future Xbox titles just yet. I know all that might sound harsh, and I know a lot of people here don't agree, but that's how I feel.

Anyways, this is all besides the point. I just think the IGN article seems like it was written by a fanboy.
Then sell it.
Old 12-22-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then sell it.
I'm gonna give it to my younger brother when I move out. He only plays sports games so it's a great system for him. There will probably be a few great games out before then anyway, I just don't see any particlaur reason to get my hopes up at the moment.
Old 12-22-02, 09:02 PM

"But, for what it's worth, it seems like more outlets agree with the IGN article than with the Nintendo press release."

Yes, but which IGN article? The one that is linked in the original post, or the one from the Cube IGN site that I linked in my last post? The two contradict one-another. I know that the 468k number for both systems is accurate, as I've seen it elsewhere, outside of these IGN articles.
Old 12-22-02, 10:06 PM

Ok, now that I'm not drugged...

I'm not impressed by this write up, like most. Comparing a bundle pack vs another is useless when there is a large amount of non bundle GC's being sold! Are they dumb? MS isn't offering any option. I know lots of people that would rather pay 150 bucks for an xbox then 200 for it and those 2 games.

Also as mentioned, NPD does not refelct all sales either, including walmart, which is one store where the GC display is actually on par with the xboxes. Bah...

I know that numbers are interestin for lots of reasons, but since we arn't going to get a clear picture for a good while, lets just not worry about it. We are all going to get plenty of nice games, no one is leaving the market.

ugh, where are my drugs???
Old 12-22-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IGN? ign is as reliable as urine journalism.
Old 12-23-02, 12:10 AM

that article reads almost identical to the one released by microsoft, it even uses the same (in their words) "over-enthusiastic PR spin" and numbers.
Old 12-23-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
*enters thread*
*reads*
*leaves*
Old 12-23-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont beleieve in anything what companies say anymore. I remember back in 1999, nintendo kept spindoctoring press statements and thru magazines like Game Informer (who always rated n64 gmes higher than psx games) that their nintnedo64 is crushing PSX sales both in consules and games, kept boasting Duke Nukem 64 to Fighters destiny to Quest 64 and their endless racing games was out selling the Tekkens to Final Fantasys to Resident evil, to Grad Tsurismo, and the head of nintendo claiming his systems out sells PSX due to lack of mature rated games as they "divert from family togetherness" or some crap.

Even as early last year, nintendo claimed their n64 counsole was outselling psx counsole, for remmeber they came out with 5 different colors for their system? They claimed many people bought one of each, then they re-bought the system when they released the pikachu n64 system, and the banana donky kong system as well.

but when in reality, nintendo did those incredible numbers for they counted units SHIPPED, but not actually went into homes of the customers. I know alot of independent game store owners fed up with carrying n64 games for nintendo refused stock balancing, while PSX dealers did. And in the end, we all know PSX won the counsole war over N64, dreamcast and saturn. These are probably shipped, not sold.

Last edited by salamander2; 12-23-02 at 02:46 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.