Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Previewing DirecTV pay per view?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previewing DirecTV pay per view?

I just got DirecTV and don't see that I'm able to preview a movie on one of the pay channels. I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to do this, but my father has had DirecTV for close to 10 years and I seem to remember that at times he would start a movie for a minute or two and then be given the choice to continue and pay (or not pay and have the channel stop showing the movie). Looking over my DTV ordering options doesn't reveal that.

What gives?
Old 12-17-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Previewing DirecTV pay per view?

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I just got DirecTV and don't see that I'm able to preview a movie on one of the pay channels. I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to do this, but my father has had DirecTV for close to 10 years and I seem to remember that at times he would start a movie for a minute or two and then be given the choice to continue and pay (or not pay and have the channel stop showing the movie). Looking over my DTV ordering options doesn't reveal that.

What gives?
well, a while back (first of this year if memory serves), the "adult" PPV channels (171 etc..) had a five minute preview, just like the other movies. Some folks complained, and DTV bowed to the pressure. I suspect the same might have happened for regular PPV movies as well, but that's just a guess.
Old 12-17-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. Okay, that would make sense. I thought my memory was going bad!
Old 12-18-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting. Okay, that would make sense. I thought my memory was going bad!
just confirmed that the regular movies still DO have a 5 minute preview. I checked yesterday afternoon.
Old 12-18-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

djbrown, then how do you preview them? Just say that you want to pay for the movie, start watching and then back out?
Old 12-18-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

djbrown, then how do you preview them? Just say that you want to pay for the movie, start watching and then back out?
no, the movie just shows as normal for the first five minutes. I've never purchased one, and I get the first five minutes for free. Then it goes black. But I don;t do anything special to "activate" the preview. I have a DirecTivo now, but that shouldn't matter. My old RCA receiver behaved the same way.