Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which console golf game has the best graphics?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-15-02, 10:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask because of conflicting reports. I've heard that Outlaw Golf has great, photorealistic graphics. But it only gets an 8.0 in the graphics department in DVDTalk's review of it. I've heard Hot Shots Golf 3 has great gameplay, but not as good graphics, but it gets a graphics score of 8.7 in DVDTalk's review. Lastly, Tiger Woods 2003 probably has good graphics and gameplay, but since they went all three consoles versus Hot SHots being pure PS2 and Outlaw going to GCN and XBOX, I figure it'd probably be the weakest just out of lack of optimization.

Can anyone with 2 or 3 of these titles confirm? I'm thinking about picking something up cheap since it'll be away before any of them have online play which is what I really want in a golf game.
Old 12-15-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want realism go with Tiger Woods, but if you want a FUN game go with HSG 3. Awsome game. Graphics are pretty good too.
Old 12-15-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Do the graphics make that huge a difference in a golf game? I would say golf is more based on gameplay. And even at that comparing a realistic game like Tiger to OG and HSG isn't right.

I think it is more or less, do you want a total realistic golf game - Tiger Woods, or do you want just a fun game you can goof around with many play modes like gambling - Outlaw Golf/ Hotshots.

# of Courses to me is a big deal. For example, on N64 you had Wailae golf. A great game. Only 1 course. Then you have Mario golf, also a great game but with different play modes and a half dozen courses. It is easily worth $50 more so than the other game that only has one. I mean what do you do after you master 18 holes? Game over.
Old 12-15-02, 11:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Do the graphics make that huge a difference in a golf game? I would say golf is more based on gameplay. And even at that comparing a realistic game like Tiger to OG and HSG isn't right.

I think it is more or less, do you want a total realistic golf game - Tiger Woods, or do you want just a fun game you can goof around with many play modes like gambling - Outlaw Golf/ Hotshots.

# of Courses to me is a big deal. For example, on N64 you had Wailae golf. A great game. Only 1 course. Then you have Mario golf, also a great game but with different play modes and a half dozen courses. It is easily worth $50 more so than the other game that only has one. I mean what do you do after you master 18 holes? Game over.
A golf game in my mind is all graphics, it's all about recreating the real thing. As long as the swing methods are comparable, that's all I care about. I don't need little people with big heads to make golf fun, or even beating up my caddies, the real thing is fun enough. What I want is a photorealistic course, and if suffering through little people with big heads or beating up my caddy lets me play a beautiful looking course, that's fine. In the past, I was never very impressed with the looks of Tiger Woods courses on the PC and just curious to see if that's still the case and how it compares with the other games out there.
Old 12-15-02, 11:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Oh yeah, if the half dozen courses look like poop and the one course looks perfect, I'll take that one course. I must have played the course that came with L386 100 times or more.
Old 12-16-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I have become golf nuts and buy a number of different games. Outlaw was ok but 3 courses was a joke. The characters are fun and graphics are good but 3 courses is a joke.

My wife has Di$ney Golf and HSG3. She loves HSG3.

I have Tiger 2002 & 2003. I will buy this game every year as long as they make them. Graphics are great, course selection this year was amazing and it just the better game IMHO. Tiger's courses certainly don't look like "poop" and that's amazing considering the number of courses. We will have to wait for Outlaw Golf 5 before we equal the courses on 1 Tiger game.

I'm a sucker for great graphics and I say go with Tiger.
Old 12-16-02, 12:45 AM

TIGER!
Old 12-16-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Without a doubt, it has to be Tiger Woods. This game is addicting as hell. You will love this game and the graphics are superb.

P.S.

I got the XBox version.
Old 12-16-02, 01:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Cool. I guess I'll hold off with TW until a price drop. The other two are nicely priced right now though.

MasterOfDVD: You said it yourself, EA has been making Tiger Woods golf for a while, and before that it was PGA Tour golf. The reason there are so many courses is because they reuse the older ones like Pebble Beach, TPC at Sawgrass, and Princeville and upgrade them to the current engine. So they add a few each year and then add them to the game each year. It's not like they go out and completely redo the courses each year I remember paying $30 for Pebble Beach alone with Links 386 golf, the graphic quality of it was amazing and almost as good as what you see with the new golf games today that I've played. If Outlaw golf has 3 courses now, I would guess their next release will have 6 or more.
Old 12-16-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jiggawhat
Without a doubt, it has to be Tiger Woods. This game is addicting as hell. You will love this game and the graphics are superb.
You took the words out of my mouth. I've been waiting for my friend to let me borrow it, but he hasn't put it down long enough for me to borrow it. Also, when he brings it over we just end up playing speed golf . It's a blast with awesome graphics!