Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best fighting game on PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-02, 11:27 PM
ME2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best fighting game on PS2?

I'm curious what you think is the best fighting game on the system, cause I'm looking around. Thanks
Old 12-14-02, 11:28 PM
Banned

Virtua Fighter 4. It's now a greatest hit too so you should be able to pick it up for $20.
Old 12-14-02, 11:35 PM

I'm still partial to the Tekken series...but VF4 is incredibly awesome and has a deep single player mode that makes it more fun that the majority of the fighters out there.
Old 12-15-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait until VF4: Evolution comes out on the PS2 though. It will contain a whole bunch of enhancements. Also, the current version is rather jaggy - supposedly they have been eliminated in the Evolution version.
Old 12-15-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well Im a gamer of many tastes and if I may I'd like to share with you some of my personal favorites.

Capcom VS SNK 2-I've heard people complain endlessly about this game, yet I find nothing to really complain about. You've got the best of both worlds here. SNK's best against Capcom's all stars. Granted I would have loved to have seen some other Capcom and SNK stars in some slots but I find it severely amusing when people say "..the controls are too Street Fighter".. Well duh! its a (say it with me now) Capcom game.

Marvel VS Capcom 2- I realize not everyone bought this once it came out on the DC, but to pass it up a second time is just beyond me. 56 fighters in total? All coming from every VS game made? (all except that funky camera man in Marvel VS Street)How can you NOT want this game. It may take you a good three weeks (or shorter..it all depends on how much you play the game) to unlock everyone but once all is said and done it is soo worth it. Granted there is much cheese in this game, but with practice you can do almost anything.

Dragonball Z-Butokai - Not everyone is a DBZ fan and this game was tailor made for the hardcore. When I first picked it up I was turned off by how easy it was to string together punches and kicks. But after going into the training mode I realized I was just mashing buttons and had no real clue what I was doing. Theres not a lot of depth to this game but once you learn how to customize and string combos it can be a lot of fun. In my opinion this game is several steps above the older DBZ games for PSX.

Guilty Gear X (series)-With Guilty Gear X-The Midnight Carnival coming in a month you would do well to pick up GGX. This game isnt being pressed anymore and if found anywhere it is a must. Capcom has got nothing on this game. The air combos take a lot of effort, and cannot be pulled off every other hit. You have to really work at finding an opening to launch your opponent into the air. The cast of characters may have ridiculous names, and some look down right funny, the game is amazing. Not since Samurai Shodown have you been able to pull off finish moves mid-battle (in GGX they are known as "Overdrives"). The soundtrack rocks litterally one of the best I've ever heard. Full of long guitar solos, hard precussion, and some melodic orchestration.

Tekken 4- Jack scoffed at me for buying this game, but since a lot of people out here dont play Soul Calibur (there are an elite few but not a lot of people) I decided to make my peace with Tekken and give it a try.I liked Tekken 3 and wanted to get good so I could take my ability to the arcade but after getting cheesed to death by "Eddie" users (you know..the kind that only mash two buttons?)I gave up on Tekken...Tag didnt impress me either. The extras on this game well...suck. The character models and cinematics are amazing. It matches the arcade game to a T. A frequent complaint I've heard is how slow the game moves. If you've spent every waking moment playing Tekken Tag then of course this game is going to feel slow. Im my opinion this game is a leap and bond over tekken 3. I hated how the side stepping works, and with Tekken 4 it has a very Calibur feel to it. You step into the foreground..youll keep moving, and not just step aside. Which is always a bonus in my book.

Virtua Fighter 4- This game while not as flashy as Tekken, or as fluid as DOA 3, it is amazingly deep. The kumite mode adds so much more to the game. A mode like this would have help rounded out Tekken 4 making it great instead of "ok". I hated VF 3TB on the DC it just felt weak. VF 4 is a step in the right direction, and I hope we get a VF 5 in the near future.

Hope I've been of some help
Another post from your friendly neighborhood

zero
Old 12-15-02, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Virtua Fighter 4 - Most in depth and balanced 3d fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear X - for 2D action