Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need component cable advice

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this topic has probably been covered before, but I'll ask anyway. I need advice for a component cable to hook up my DVD player to my 24' Toshiba flat screen. Since my TV is not HD or anything, I am not sure whether or not spend a lot on a Monster or go with a cheaper brand. I have been watching DVDs on my PS2 with an S-video cable and I think they look great. If anyone has some advice, I would appreciate it or if anyone knows anyplace online to get a cheap one that would be great too.
Old 12-12-02, 10:14 PM

got this from an earlier post, hope it helps.http://www.cablesamerica.com/categor...?cat%5Fid=5900
Old 12-12-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the best shielded cables you can afford to, whether it's $20 or $200. Component is an improvement from SVideo, and worth the upgrade.
Old 12-12-02, 11:54 PM

actually, (im gonna surprise a few people here that know my posts...) svideo and component yields almost identical picture quality on a non-hd set. ive done many A/B tests, and a good s-video will rate exactly same picture as a decent pair of component cables...

just get a good s-video. IMHO.

Originally posted by renaldow
Buy the best shielded cables you can afford to, whether it's $20 or $200. Component is an improvement from SVideo, and worth the upgrade.
Old 12-13-02, 02:06 PM

I tried component and s-video on my 32" toshiba, and could not tell the difference on a test pattern, but with an actual picture, the colors seemed more distinct with component.
Old 12-14-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If you can use component, you should use component. You may not think there's much of a difference at first, but you really are better off in the long run.

Monster Cables are overpriced. Acoustic Research makes a good set of component cables that sell for around $30 at Best Buy.
Old 12-14-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cowanrg
actually, (im gonna surprise a few people here that know my posts...) svideo and component yields almost identical picture quality on a non-hd set. ive done many A/B tests, and a good s-video will rate exactly same picture as a decent pair of component cables...

just get a good s-video. IMHO.
I'd like to see what TV you tested the cables on. True, SVideo to component is not as radical a change as composite to SVideo, but there is a noticable difference in picture quality.

I use a non-HD set w/ anamorphic squeeze, and there is quite the difference between using components and SVideo when you're in enhanced mode. If enhanced mode is turned off on the TV, there still is a difference between SVideo and component, but you're right, not as radical. Still worth a few extra bucks for a proper set of component cables though, IMHO.
Old 12-16-02, 03:55 AM

Go for component cables you won't regret it.
Old 12-16-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just switched from s-vid to component (some cables I bought at radio shack for $50-60 a while ago)...noticed a sizable difference in the richness of color and slightly sharper image.
Old 12-16-02, 06:22 AM

Consider www.bluejeanscable.com. They carry Belden 1694a (RG6) and use Canare connectors. They will also do custom-cut lengths and offer a 30-day return policy. I was so happy with the component cables I got from them that I replaced all the other cables in my system. BTW, a 10' component cable from them runs about $46. Good luck
Old 12-16-02, 11:19 AM

I believe that price is for the set of 3 cables, just in case you were shocked! You can also try the DIY way and buy some Belden 1695A (better version of 1694A) and some good RCAs (I like Cardas). You will still spend about as much as Bluejeans, but get a little better quality (if you can solder).