TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC relocates "The Practice"

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABC relocates "The Practice"

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

Now that the Fall season is pretty much over, ABC has decided to make a change that would have contributed ratings to everyone if they would have done so earlier. By moving "The Practice" to Monday nights at 2100 they clear up the battle that didn’t go so well for any "acclaimed" show on Sunday nights between 2100 and 2200. "Alias," "Angel," "The Sopranos," and so on have many in their audiences that also watch one of the other broadcasts unfortunately at the same time. Yes thats what a VCR or a Tivo is for, but for those who are out of the house and do not have two (2) separate setups it really put a kink into TV watching.

The thing I do not get is that Kelley is pissed about the move, yes they have won the 2200 time-slot for a while now, but being the anchor of ABC's Monday night lineup I could see as a good thing. For content purposes it would not air at 2000, but with "Boston Public" on at 2000 on Fox and "The Practice" on at 2100 on ABC Kelley should be a little more in agreement with the idea. Heck, if you really wanted to have a crossover arch have the episodes run together rather than having to wait six (6) days prior to the next airing and then the "previews" from that episode spoiling the "Boston Public" arch (Season One of BP).

Sorry I went on for a little while, but this move I think is a good thing for the viewers and the production company in the long run.
Old 12-12-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Couldn't care less about the Practice anymore, but the new Dragnet intriques me. Unfortunately, Sunday at 10 I already watch/record Boomtown and OZ will be starting up in a few weeks on HBO.
Old 12-12-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how moving The Practice changes the battle at the 9pm Sunday slot. WB moving Angel, however affects that significantly.

I guess I'll follow The Practice to Mondays. It's a hollow shell of what it once was, but I still watch it for some stupid reason. Monday is easily the weakest night on TV right now, so shifting some of the Sunday bulk into Monday could be a good thing. As it is, I usually use Monday night to watch all the Sunday stuff on my TiVo, so it really doesn't change anything for me.

das
Old 12-12-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In total agreement "Das Monkey", the only thing I watch on Monday nights is "Boston Public" but like you said with "The Practice" both are just shells of what they were or could have become (pertaining to BP).

I should not have said that the battle was over on Sunday nights, but it is clearing up with "Angel" and "The Practice" moving and "The Sopranos" on hiatus for at least six (6) months.

Now the absolute weakest night in television has to be Saturday, hands down.
Old 12-12-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have been recording The Practice in the bedroom (and Boomtown in the living room) so this won't change much for me. Now it's up against "Everwood" which I'll still watch first (even though it repeats on Sundays.)

I still like the Practice, I don't understand all the negative comments about the show. Sure, it's probably not as intense as it used to be, but I still think it's a decent show.
Old 12-12-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch Everybody Loves Raymond Monday at 9pm. Next in my pass is Third Watch. Sadly, I will have to say goodbye to the Practice. Oh well, maybe if this season was actually good I might keep following it.
Old 12-13-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I miss my X-files on Sunday night. :`(

I will follow the Practice, but I just started getting into Third Watch this year. Which should I give up? I work Mon. nights and can only record one.