Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2PAC discussion thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2PAC discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Top 5 favorite[2PAC]"BETTER DAYZ" songs

here's mine...

I. Mama's Just A Little Girl
II. Thugz Mansion
III. My Block
IV. Who Do U Believe In
V. When We Ride On Our Enemies

...damn that was hard...
Old 12-11-02, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. My Block
2. Thugz Mansion (acoustic)
3. Mama Just a Little Girl
4. Still Ballin - with Trickdaddy
5. Better Dayz

The whole album is good, its hard to pick the best ones after the standout top 3.
Old 12-13-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Block (remix) which is basically a completely different song the original, which is a great song in its own right

Still Ballin' - i wish this song was longer, it's a motivating-type song....love it

Thugz Mansion - both versions are great; and the version on Nas' album is also good.

Better Dayz

Changed Man
Old 12-13-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know, there are too many to choose from...it changes every-day... now CHANGED MAN is my favorite...
Old 12-13-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2PAc related... here's an excerp of an interview w/ the producer of "GHETTO STAR" from Pac's "BETTER DAYZ"...just for ya 411
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BetterDayz.Net: How did you hook up with Tupac?

G O Twice: Nuttso called me one night and said he needed a track for himself and Pac, like last minute so I flew to L.A. and met Nuttso at Can Am Studios. He called Pac when I got there and we was sittin' in the parking lot listening to the track when Pac pulled up and stuck his head in the window and looked at me and said "You did this?" and I said 'Yeah that's me', and he said "This finsta be THA ****" - his exact words ha ha ha.

BetterDayz.Net: What is the story behind the song "Ghetto Star"? Was it originally recorded with Nuttso or Bad Azz?

G O Twice: The Bad Azz version is a fake. The way Bad Azz got a hold of the song was when Pac was shot and Suge went to Jail certain individuals had taken masters from Can Ams cellar, Nuttso was given a master of Ghetto Star from MC Hammer, at that time Kevin Dixon aka Captain Save A Hoe was working on a album and asked Nuttso if he could use Ghetto Star for that album, Nuttso replied that he would lend the song to Kevin but with a different track under it, Kevin agreed, later G-Man Stan from Find-a-way studios in Hayward,Ca. did the remix and also dubbed the master tape and gave it to Kevin, in turn Kevin was dealing with Ant Banks and that camp at the time and Bad Azz, don't get me wrong, Bad Azz's record company asked Nuttso if they could license the song and use it for Bad Azz's album(without Nuttso), they offered Nuttso 15,000 and he said "NO". The song was used anyway, because nobody had the rights to the song but Suge and he was in jail. The song was originally recorded with Nuttso and Pac in March '96, and was called "Burying One of Our Own", until Pac later renamed it "Ghetto Star" after writing his lyrics. He liked the beat and said he definitely wanted to do more work with me.

BetterDayz.Net: How many songs have you recorded with Tupac? Could you be able to tell us a little about these songs? Will they be released in the future?

G O Twice: I recorded three songs, "Ghetto Star", "Life As A G", which is the foundation to "Life's So Hard" from the Gang Related Soundtrack, and "Born First, Ride Later" which is now "Don't Sleep" f. Nuttso, Pac, and The Outlawz. I don't know the status of that track as far as being released or not, but Nuttso is working on getting it cleared.

BetterDayz.Net: What was your experience with Tupac like? What kind of person was he in the studio?

G O Twice: He was the hardest working artist I know. He was very quick and intense. He wrote like nine pages without lifting his pen from the paper. When he went into the booth to record, he messed up once -and was mad at himself for it- and finished the rest of the 6 hour session without a flaw. He called Danny Boy in the studio and had him sing the chorus you hear in the background for 6 mins straight. There is more, but I don't want to take up too much space.

BetterDayz.Net: Are you doing any work on the next Tupac album?

G O Twice: I was asked if I was interested in doing some remixes, so I have been in touch with Amaru Entertainment (What's up Molly, What's up Dina, Hey Afeni!) and we are hammering out the details. Remember, Ghetto Star was done in 1996, so this new stuff will be some 2003 HEAT that Pac would love to rap to, and I will make sure the beats are done in honor of his memory.

BetterDayz.Net: Is there anything you would like to say to the fans out there?

G O Twice: Yeah, if you a REAL Pac fan you would go buy his albums instead of Bootleggin' and Downloadin'. The new Pac remixes coming from me will definitely be something everybody can RIDE to...
Old 12-14-02, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Top 5 favorite[2PAC]"BETTER DAYZ" songs

Originally posted by gerrythedon
here's mine...

II. Thugz Mansion
III. My Block
IV. Who Do U Believe In

...damn that was hard...
changed my list...

II. Changed Man
III. Thugz Mansion
IV. My Block
Old 12-14-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok a ? for anybody that has "BETTER DAYZ"...on "THIS LIFE I LEAD" (cd#2 track #11, around 2 minutes into), on NAPOLEONS verse(OUTLAWZ) is it edited, mine is... its says something like "[edited] is on the phone... and I can't figuire to blame [edited] for killin' babbies"...its something like that, the names are scratched off...i guess more censoring PAC lyrics from MOM... anyone LET ME KNOW... (that means U, FRANK TJ MACKEY...)

Last edited by gerrythedon; 12-14-02 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-14-02, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TUPAC SHAKUR: Thug Angel [The collector's edition] Box Set

This incredible box set is a must for every fan of the legendary Tupac Shakur.

It comes with:

1. "Thug Angel: The Life of an Outlaw" DVD - this is 3 hours of exclusive material about 2PAC... it includes Biggie and Tupac footage, unedited interview with Tupac at age 17, full-length Tupac interview and behind-the-scenes at the gun range, and never-before-released personal audio recordings of Tupac talking about all aspects of his life and career. this is the definitive portrait of Tupac's incredible life with revealing interviews from Tupac's stepbrother Mopreme Shakur and friends Shock G, Treach, Thuglife, Edi of the Outlawz, Big Syke, Quincy Jones and Rashida Jones + many more.

2. Bonus DVD "Off the Cutting Room Floor" this is another 2 hours of footage that was left off the THUG ANGEL dvd including an uncut interview with Tupac's stepfather Dr. Mutulu Shakur from Atlanta State Prison... It also has 2 commentaries.

3. Music From and Inspired By "Thug Angel" CD [music by various artist, including THE OUTLAWZ]

4. the brand-new Tupac biography "Holler If You Hear Me" by hip-hop intellectual Michael Eric Dyson [300 + page book]

this is an AWESOME set... I already had the THUG ANGEL dvd [came out earlier this year as a single disc]. it's an awesome dvd, especially the interview w/ Tupac @ 17 years old... The bonus disc is a great addition, and the MUTULU SHAKUR [1 hour] interview is the BEST reason to have it. I haven't listened to the 2 commenteries, yet... The cd was also released earlier this year [but i never bought it]... it's pretty GOOD, nothing special, but great to have... The OUTLAWZ songs [4 of them] are REAL GOOD... and I'll read the BOOK at a later date...

I bought the BOX SET for $31.99 [minus $5.00], so it came out to $26.99+ tax.. it's a great DEAL because the Thug Angel DVD [$14.99] + CD soundtrack[$12.99] bought seperately comes out to $27.98+ tax... so for $4 more, U also get the awesome bonus DVD and biographical Book... + it comes in a COOL ASS BOX... go out and get it...for REAL FANS!!!
Old 12-14-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get that boxset, never herad of it, but would def want to pick this up, to add to the collection..

My fav 5, hmm.. I"m gonna have to do some thinking, but I def agree with the posts thus far. My fav is prob my block, or mama just a little girl(reminds me of that Brenda's got a baby day)
Old 12-14-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Where did you get that boxset, never herad of it, but would def want to pick this up, to add to the collection..

My fav 5, hmm.. I"m gonna have to do some thinking, but I def agree with the posts thus far. My fav is prob my block, or mama just a little girl(reminds me of that Brenda's got a baby day)

the box set came out tuesday... should be out everywhere... I got mine @ Best Buy...
Old 12-15-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gerrythedon
ok a ? for anybody that has "BETTER DAYZ"...on "THIS LIFE I LEAD" (cd#2 track #11, around 2 minutes into), on NAPOLEONS verse(OUTLAWZ) is it edited, mine is... its says something like "[edited] is on the phone... and I can't figuire to blame [edited] for killin' babbies"...its something like that, the names are scratched off...i guess more censoring PAC lyrics from MOM... anyone LET ME KNOW... (that means U, FRANK TJ MACKEY...)
Honestly, I've heard it but I don't really know what he's saying. Apparently it's something that could bring a lawsuit since it's edited.

I probably have the uncensored on bootleg somewhere but I don't have clue where it's at.

If you really want to know then go to one of the 2pac fan sites with message boards. Those guys would know in 5 seconds and respond quickly.

do a search and a whole truckload of them will come up.

sorry i couldn't help (when in doubt, blame the censored comment on Suge Knight, probably has something to do with him screwing someone out of something)
Old 12-16-02, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Honestly, I've heard it but I don't really know what he's saying. Apparently it's something that could bring a lawsuit since it's edited.

I probably have the uncensored on bootleg somewhere but I don't have clue where it's at.

If you really want to know then go to one of the 2pac fan sites with message boards. Those guys would know in 5 seconds and respond quickly.

do a search and a whole truckload of them will come up.

sorry i couldn't help (when in doubt, blame the censored comment on Suge Knight, probably has something to do with him screwing someone out of something)
...yeah I finally found out [the lyrics] for the songs that were edited on the "UNTIL THE END OF TIME" album... The OG "THIS LIFE I LEAD" does'nt have THE OUTLAWZ on it [it had DAZ, KURUPT, and NUTTSO], so the Lyrics are NEW... anyway i'll check around... thanks
Old 12-16-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BetterDayz.Net recently asked a few questions to a representative of Amaru Entertainment. This is what they had to say.

What tracks were dropped from Better Dayz?
High Til I Die and one other that I cannot remember...

There are still many unreleased Death Row era tracks such as 'Soon As I Get Home' and 'Thugz Get Lonely Too' - what is likely to happen to these songs?
They will come out eventually...

Why did Amaru/Interscope decide not to do a video for the solo version of 'Thugz Mansion'?
We decided to market the acoustic version!

Can you tell us a little about the upcoming 'Ressurection' soundtrack?
This LP will come from the actual feature documentary film told in Tupac's own words. The film is being presented at Sundance in January and it will be out by Sept 13, 2003..the Soundtrack LP will be out approx 6 weeks before the documentary...it is amazing!

Can you tell us a little about the upcoming 'Ressurection' DVD?
That will hit the stores after the movie has a theatrical run...

Are there still plans to release a video to 'My Block Remix'?
Yes, My Block as far as I know is still a go.

[BETTERDAYZ.NET]
Old 01-07-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interview: Makaveli.com & Amaru Entertainment

From request of fans who wished to get more information on Tupac related projects upcoming (after our post last week about all official projects for 2003/2004) we have conducted an interview with Amaru Entertainment's counsel to help clarify some questions the fans had, and help stop the rumors that other sites are posting. The interview was in depth and very positive. Enjoy the interview!

As always, click READ MORE for the full story.

Interview: Makaveli.com & Amaru Entertainment
Copyright 2003, Makaveli.com All Rights Reserved.

-----Begin Interview-----

(Makaveli.com): How’s the progress going for the 2pac Center of the Arts, and what other great additions can we expect from the Center of Arts? Will there be a “Grand Opening” event once this project is complete?

(Amaru Entertainment): THE CENTER WILL HAVE A 500 SEAT THEATER, A RECORDING STUDIO, A DANCE STUDIO, AN EDIT ROOM, CLASS ROOMS AS WELL AS THE TUPAC SHAKUR MUSEUM WHICH WILL HAVE MANY OF TUPAC'S PERSONAL ITEMS LIKE HIS MERCEDES AND HIS CLOTHES, JEWELRY, ETC. IT IS CURRENTLY BEING BUILT IN STONE MOUNTAIN GEORGIA ON MEMORIAL DRIVE. IT WILL BE OPEN IN 2004 AND WE DO EXPECT TO HAVE A BIG OPENING. WE ARE ALWAYS ACCEPTING CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THE CENTER BECAUSE MS. SHAKUR AND AMARU ARE FUNDING THE WHOLE THING!

(Makaveli.com): The feature film documentary based on Tupac’s life will be shown at Sundance this year. We have a few guys from our staff going, but is there any information you can share with us about the documentary that could give fans an idea of it’s contents? In a related question, we’ve been told the film is narrated by Pac, was this pre-Death Row, or during his time at Death Row records before his untimely death?

(Amaru Entertainment): THIS FILM IS UNIQUE AS IT IS ACTUALLY TOLD IN TUPAC'S OWN VOICE! IT DOES NOT FEATURE ANY INTERVIEWS WITH ANYONE...ONLY TUPAC HIMSELF IS THE ONLY VOICE THAT YOU HEAR FOR 2 HOURS THROUGH THE WHOLE FILM! IT STARTS OUT WHEN HE WAS A CHILD RIGHT UP TO WHEN HE PASSES ON. THE FILM FEATURES ALL OF HIS MOST POPULAR SONGS. IT IS TRULY AMAZING AND I BELIEVE HIS FANS WILL REALLY REALLY LOVE IT BECAUSE IT IS ALL HIM! I LITERALLY GOT CHILLS THE FIRST TIME I SAW IT.

(Makaveli.com): The soundtrack and the book for the Tupac documentary will be released later this year after the documentary’s release. Would you know if fans will get to hear any Pac tracks in the soundtrack, or is it more a tribute to Pac?

(Amaru Entertainment): THE SOUNDTRACK LP WILL BE RELEASED APPROX 6 WEEKS BEFORE THE FILM IS RELEASED THEATRICALLY. WE ANTICIPATE RELEASING THE FILM (CALLED "TUPAC RESURRECTION") AROUND SEPT 13TH IF NOT A SMIDGE BIT SOONER SO IT IS OUT BY SEPT 13TH. THE BOOK WILL BE RELEASED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE FILM. THE SOUNDTRACK LP WILL MOST LIKELY FEATURE HIS BEST HITS THAT ARE NOT ON THE GREATEST HITS LP. TO THE EXTENT THAT THERE ARE SONGS FROM GREATEST HITS, WE WILL REMIX THEM TO GIVE THEM A "NEW FLAIR"...MAYBE ADD ACOUSTIC GUITAR ON SOME, ETC. ALSO....WE ANTICIPATE ALSO INCLUDING SOME UNRELEASED TRACKS AS WELL THAT MAY FEATURE ARTISTS SUCH AS JA RULE AMONG OTHERS.

(Makaveli.com): When will work begin on the new Tupac double album that should drop in the fall of 2003? Any additional information that the fans can expect? In addition, will this rap up the release of Tupac’s music?

(Amaru Entertainment): THAT IS THE "INTERSCOPE YEARS" LP....SONGS THAT TUPAC DID IN 1993-1994. AFTER THIS LP..WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE AS WELL...(MAYBE 2....HAHAH)

(Makaveli.com): Two biographies are to come out next year. The life of Tupac Shakur, and the life of Afeni Shakur. We’ve been told that Jasmine Guy will be doing the writing for the life of Afeni Shakur. How is Afeni contributing to the book’s work and will either of these books give the fans more insight into Pac’s childhood?

(Amaru Entertainment): AFENI MEETS REGULARLY WITH JASMINE AND JASMINE ALSO MEETS WITH A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT WERE AND ARE CLOSE TO AFENI AS WELL. THE TUPAC BOOK DELVES INTO HIS CHILDHOOD A LOT. AFENI'S BOOK IS REALLY ABOUT HER. HER LIFE, AS AMAZING AS IT WAS AND IS. BOTH ARE BEING PUBLISHED BY ATRIA BOOKS, A DIVISION OF SIMON & SCHUSTER.

(Makaveli.com): Finally, the last project mentioned to come out in the next few years is a project called: Tupac Shakur: In The Beginning. Can you tell us about this project and who’s involved in the project?

(Amaru Entertainment): THIS IS AN AMARU/MTV NETWORKS FILM BASED ON TUPAC'S LIFE UP UNTIL HE WAS 17 I BELIEVE. WE ARE FINISHING UP THE TREATMENT RIGHT NOW WITH A WRITER NAMED JOSSLYN LUCKETT AND ONCE THE TREATMENT IS APPROVED BY BOTH AMARU AND MTV, A SCRIPT WILL BE WRITTEN AND THEN CASTING WILL TAKE PLACE. THIS IS A MADE FOR TV MOVIE AND WILL ACTUALLY AIR ON THE MTV TELEVISION CHANNEL.

(Makaveli.com): Is there any additional information you can share with the fans, or anything you want the fans to know?

(Amaru Entertainment): AMARU JUST LAUNCHED ITS OFFICIAL ONLINE MERCHANDISE STORE VIA OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.2PACLEGACY.COM AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING. WE WILL BE OFFERING MORE PRODUCTS AS THE YEAR GOES ON AS WELL AS TUPAC POSTERS. WE ARE ALSO HAVING A FUNDRAISER IN FEBRUARY FOR THE TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR CENTER FOR THE ARTS CALLED "ATHLETES HONORING TUPAC". AFENI SHAKUR IS WORKING VERY HARD TO KEEP TUPAC'S LEGACY ALIVE AND WE AT AMARU ARE ALL HONORED TO BE ON THIS PATH WITH HER. IT TRULY IS A BLESSING TO BE INVOLVED WITH TUPAC'S WORK AND I AM VERY GRATEFUL THAT I HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO BE OF SERVICE AS AMARU'S ENTERTAINMENT COUNSEL. GOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE TO SUPPORT US ALWAYS. PEACE.

(Makaveli.com): Thank you for your time and your show of support for the fans and Makaveli.com