Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

if you have declared you do not like a movie, do you ever change your mind after?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

if you have declared you do not like a movie, do you ever change your mind after?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are sometimes, we declare we don't really like a movie. or we don't watch a movie based on a trailer. has there ever been a time, when you thought a movie would suck, and then find out later it didn't suck after all?
Old 12-10-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, i still hate "Assassins" to this day.
Old 12-10-02, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely, and I have no qualms about admitting that my opinion about a certain movie has changed.
Old 12-10-02, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I ever admit that resident evil was a decent movie.. CAUSE IT SUCKED! SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED!!

:P
Old 12-10-02, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
i thought I did but after going through my list on IMDB I usually stick with my original opinion. If anything I bring a movie a little bit down but never such a vast change.

I will still think that
Fled,
Zoolander,
Ballistic,
Talented Mr. Ripley and
Counte of Monte Cristo
were horrible movies no matter what anyone says. (exagerating a tad on the last one...but not much). and I will still think that
Schindler's List
Fantasia 2000
Shawshank Redemption and
Equus
were wonderful movies.
Old 12-10-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Yep I've changed my mind on occassion and I'm not afraid to admit it. First time I saw Clerks I didn't think it was very funny. Saw it several years later and I finally got it. It happens, I'm human.
Old 12-10-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Rarely. I don't often rewatch movies that I thought were bad in the first place.
Old 12-10-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't like Unforgiven the first time I saw it. Still, for some reason I went back to see it in the theater a second time. It was like a totally different movie. It's not like it's my favorite western but I think it's quite good.
Old 12-10-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't think of anything offhand.

I do, however, have a mental list of 20 or so films that I want to give a second chance when I have the time.

das
Old 12-10-02, 08:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I change my mind based on box office and awards that a film wins, so I can fit in with the l33t who only like films nobody else has seen, and poo-poo anything embraced by the masses.
Old 12-10-02, 08:06 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I didn't like Pi much the first time I saw it. I was probably too sleepy to concentrate on it fully, plus, we had another couple over to watch it and I guess the timing just wasn't right.

Sadly I don't usually have the time to give movies a second chance. I rarely have time to rewatch movies I liked the first time.
Old 12-10-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't happen too often for me, but it does happen.

Probably the most memorable was Hitchcock's Vertigo. I never hated it, but the first time I saw it, I had an "Eh, what's the big deal" attitude. Now it is easily one of my favorite films. (I think I was honestly just too young the first time I saw it to fully appreciate the themes and motivations of the characters).

But, usually, I'm good at knowing what I like and don't like. Every once in a while, I'll watch a film that I didn't like and the rest of the world seems to (The French Connection, The Matrix). But I still walk away not liking the movie.
Old 12-10-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First time i saw Frailty i really didn't like. Then i had a nightmare that was related to the film a few days later. The more i thought about the film the more i thought that it wasn't that bad. SO i went to hating it to loving it without even seeing a second time. It was odd but thats what happened.
I'm giving MIB II a second chance now, but 30 minutes into it and i still thinks it stupid and lame.
Old 12-10-02, 08:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It's happened a few times where I have changed my opinion on a movie after viewing it a second time. This was the case with both Heaven's Gate and Boogie Nights.
Old 12-10-02, 09:12 AM

When I first saw Jason X I didn't like it at all. After thinking about it, and after I stopped comparing it to the first one (which I love), I ended up thinking it was a pretty cool flick. Nothing that I would put on my top 10 list, but a fun movie.
Old 12-10-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
I didn't like Unforgiven the first time I saw it. Still, for some reason I went back to see it in the theater a second time. It was like a totally different movie. It's not like it's my favorite western but I think it's quite good.
Same here. It's actually been climbing up my Westerns chart every time I see it again.
Old 12-10-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the one that comes to mind first isThunderball.

unlike bboisvert, i still think Vertigo is compeletely ridiculous, and will be very surprised if this opinion ever changes.
Old 12-10-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I had completely dismissed Pulp Fiction thinking it had to suck because of Travolta...only to finally see it on video a year later and much to my surprise found it to be one of my favorite films of all time....kind of different since i hadn't seen it before the opinion was made...but i changed my mind nonetheless.

Actually, that happens quite often when I form an opinion based on reviews or ads or whatnot....and then finally see it for myself and that opinion changes (for better or worse)...

And i suspect Vertigo will be an example of changing my mind as well...it was ok, but i was really tired and found it pretty damn boring. I'm a big Hitchcock fan though, so i suspect another viewing will bring a different response....
Old 12-10-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll admit it, I did not like Fight Club when I saw it in the theater. When the DVD hit, I decided to give it another chance and now I absolutely love the film.

I've actually heard this from many people about Fight Club.
Old 12-10-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Every once in a while I flip-flop on a movie ....
Old 12-10-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The Fellowship of the Ring... i saw it in theaters and hated it for its length, unimpressed by the special effects, and just underwhelmed. Watching it on DVD again helped me appreciate it a lot more, although i still think it was overhyped
Old 12-10-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't like American Pie much at all when I first saw it (on video). I've since warmed to it, but don't consider it a great movie.
Old 12-10-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Also had it go the other way. I loved There's Something About Mary in the theatre with people around. Couldn't even get through it on DVD. Sold it to a friend.
Old 12-10-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw The Patriot and thought it was a pretty good film with a lot of flaws. I bought it, then rewatched it and now I think that it could have been a good film, but the flaws over shadow it.
Old 12-10-02, 01:16 PM
Banned

As for judging something as s*** by the trailer and then being surprised, this is rarely the case, I am right about it being s*** 99.9% of the time.

One movie that surprised me BIG TIME was Three Kings. It had the worst trailer in the world. Made it look like the worst kind of bravura military junk; turned out it was a brilliant satire with great action and a smart comic edge. All the bravura BS that had been in the trailer were actually JOKES when watched in the context of the film. Talk about a missrepresentation!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.