Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Movies that could show up on Sci Fi

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Movies that could show up on Sci Fi

It seems to me that Sci Fi has an increasingly loose standard of what is "sci fi." Apparently now, Tim Burton's Batman is sci fi, even though I would think of it as an action adventure movie. But I guess it's "sci fi" because Batman has all those wonderful toys. :rollseyes: 007 movies should be showing up on the channel next.

In the past we've had the Flintstones Movie and the Addams Family, loose, loose definitions of "Sci Fi" on those. So I wonder, what else could we see on Sci Fi if the channel continues to loosen it's standard of what is "sci fi?" Here are a few we could see:

Truman Show
Groundhog Day
Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Dude, Where's My Car?
Happy Gilmore
Airplane! 2
Dogma
Being John Malcovich
The Santa Clause
Twin Peaks
Purple Rose of Cairo

Can you think of any others?
Old 12-09-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
you know...this afternoon - that's right, this AFTERNOON - they were showing "54"....i flipped along just as Meyers was trying to coerce a bj out of the new bartender.....how in the hell is 54 a sci-fi movie??!!??!?!
Old 12-09-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravenous
Old 12-09-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Titanic
Romeo + Juliet
Life of Brian
The Messinger - The Story of Joan of Arc
Panic Room
Roxanne
South Park BLU

...and lets face it, anything. The fact they showed Braveheart really opened the floodgates.
Old 12-10-02, 12:05 AM

Actually, i wouldn't have problems with the Truman Show being on a sci-fi channel. I consider it as being more true to the spirit of sci-fi than say Star Trek. But maybe i'm just weird.

I used to envy you guys your sci-fi channel because it had the budget to do stuff like Taken or the Dune mini-series and ours didn't.

But now I don't since we get those mini-series later and we don't have to put up with the crap. Tho fantasy still shows up on our sci-fi channel, which is a debatable inclusion.
Old 12-10-02, 12:32 AM
Banned

Ameican Beauty?
Old 12-10-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
Originally posted by Mourn
Actually, i wouldn't have problems with the Truman Show being on a sci-fi channel. I consider it as being more true to the spirit of sci-fi than say Star Trek. But maybe i'm just weird.

I used to envy you guys your sci-fi channel because it had the budget to do stuff like Taken or the Dune mini-series and ours didn't.

But now I don't since we get those mini-series later and we don't have to put up with the crap. Tho fantasy still shows up on our sci-fi channel, which is a debatable inclusion.
okay i know it is just your opinion which i respect but HOW IN THE HELL is star trek not scifi but Truman Show is...you aren't the president in charge of programming of SciFi are you?
Old 12-10-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Driving Miss Daisy
Old 12-10-02, 01:32 AM

okay i know it is just your opinion which i respect but HOW IN THE HELL is star trek not scifi but Truman Show is...you aren't the president in charge of programming of SciFi are you?
Heh.

It's just a personal thing really, i consider Star Trek as fantasy (like Star Wars). Can't really defend it, other than to say that the way technology is used in Star Trek is more akin to the use of magic in a fantasy, then it is to the way science is used in sci-fi. It's probably just my dislike of the formula of the show talking, feel free to disregard my opinion. :P

As far as the Truman Show, it shares in a lot of the traditional views of sci-fi, namely everyone will end up like Truman, no privacy and always being spied on...we will all end up as always being on someone's tv screen.

Besides, sci-fi is usually more fond of dystopias than utopias.
Old 12-10-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Mourn •<HR SIZE=1>It's just a personal thing really, i consider Star Trek as fantasy (like Star Wars). Can't really defend it, other than to say that the way technology is used in Star Trek is more akin to the use of magic in a fantasy, then it is to the way science is used in sci-fi. It's probably just my dislike of the formula of the show talking, feel free to disregard my opinion. :P<HR SIZE=1>

Disregarding as we speak . Things to consider:

While colorful and fantastic in nature, the original series was packed with legitimate science and inspired the invention of numerous technologies we use today. TNG dropped the cheesy effects and focused even more heavily on legitimate science.

Many of the preeminent science fiction writers of the day contributed heavily to both of the first two series, including the man himself, Asimov.

I'll argue that Star Wars is fantasy and not science fiction until even innocent bystanders are blue in the face, but to say Star Trek (i.e. the 3 series that are actually Trek ... I don't consider the last 2 to be canon) isn't science fiction is IMO a gross misstatement. Sorry you don't like the show.

Anyway, to the topic at hand ... some films I expect to see (well, I won't "see" them, but they will air) on "Sci-Fi" (term used loosely):

Analyze This
Josie and the Pussycats
Any of the Matlock TV movies
The Joy Luck Club
First Wives Club
Raging Bull
The Godfather, Part III (and only Part III)
My Left Foot
Terms of Endearment
Life with Mikey
Glory
Rudy
Mallrats
Dog Day Afternoon
Jackass: The Movie
Bowfinger
Faith Hill: The Music Video Collection

Some of these films are a little high-brow for SFC, but they represent the genre I think they're looking at.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-10-02 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-10-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still banking on "Duck Tales: the movie" but i dunno, it did have Gizmo Duck (the show anyways) and he would be considered Sci-fi.

Hmmm.....I'll also say they will play all the old Clint Eastwood movies....westerns, Dirty Harry.

But im sure the first one they will show will be "Paint your Wagons"

Then next week "The sound of music"
Old 12-10-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot about Big Jake ... I think that airs on Sci-Friday.

das
Old 12-10-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeez, at this rate they'll start showing things like:

Braveheart
Serial Mom
Tom Clancy's Netforce
So I Married An Axe Murderer
Dante's Peak

... oh... wait a minute...
Old 12-10-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Aha! I have found the compiled list of movies Bonnie Hammer is considering for broadcast.

link
Old 12-10-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More specifically link

das
Old 12-10-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by brizz
you know...this afternoon - that's right, this AFTERNOON - they were showing "54"....i flipped along just as Meyers was trying to coerce a bj out of the new bartender.....how in the hell is 54 a sci-fi movie??!!??!?!
Hey, there was a big moon shaped tchotchke hanging on the wall of the club.

Y'know, the one with the great big coke spoon animated arm?

And as everyone knows: moons = "SCI-FI".

Old 12-10-02, 05:39 PM

While colorful and fantastic in nature, the original series was packed with legitimate science and inspired the invention of numerous technologies we use today. TNG dropped the cheesy effects and focused even more heavily on legitimate science.

Many of the preeminent science fiction writers of the day contributed heavily to both of the first two series, including the man himself, Asimov.

I'll argue that Star Wars is fantasy and not science fiction until even innocent bystanders are blue in the face, but to say Star Trek (i.e. the 3 series that are actually Trek ... I don't consider the last 2 to be canon) isn't science fiction is IMO a gross misstatement. Sorry you don't like the show.
While i'll grant all of that, in TNG (I acutually watched a lot of this show when i was a kid, the dislike came later) a lot of the shows are solved by some character spouting some magic incantation along the lines of "reverse the ionic photon polarity," which makes no sense, followed by some mystical hand movements that allegedly correspond to pushing buttons and the problem is solved. To me that is not sci-fi, neither the hard or soft variety.

That sort of thing might have happened in a smaller number of episodes than i remember, but it is so unsatisfying it soured me on the whole series.
Old 12-10-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just go to your local video store and pick out what look like the 12 worst straight to video movies.....and they'll get hyped as Sci-Fi Originals in the next year!
Old 12-11-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean Sci-fi is gonna start showing those Disney DVD sequals???