Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What does the citizen kane crow mean

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-07-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

twards the end of the movie, a big crow or bird is on the screen and screatches very loudly, scaring the crap out of me, then flies away. does any one know what the purpose of this is.
Old 12-07-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a cockatoo, and its meaning a subject of a lot of discussion, though I'm reasonably sure the fact that you can see through its eye is widely accepted as a special effects mistake.
Old 12-07-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The crow screaming loudly and leaving is symbolic of Susan's screaming and departure from Kane and Xanadu. Perhaps the crow flew to the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.
Old 12-07-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, Welles simply meant to wake up his audience with the screeching because he thought the film was moving slowly. Seriously, this was mentioned on the excellent DVD.
Old 12-07-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by paratize
No, Welles simply meant to wake up his audience with the screeching because he thought the film was moving slowly. Seriously, this was mentioned on the excellent DVD.
I am reasonably certain that this explanation is a joke. Welles wanted the shot enough to lay out the bucks for the necessary special effect. The significance has been widely debated, and that facile "explanation" seems entirely unacceptable to me.
Old 12-08-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a link to an interesting article comparing similarities between the movies Mad Love(1935) and Citizen Kane. Both were photographed by cinematographer Gregg Toland, and both feature similar makeup and a white cockatoo.
http://alt.tcm.turner.com/essentials...p_citizen.html