Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

wanted: Serpico reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wanted: Serpico reviews.

Has anyone seen a review on this disc yet?
Old 12-07-02, 06:54 AM

Got it two days ago and it looks and sounds great. If you like the movie you can buy it safely.

A review:

http://www.obisreviews.com/reviews2....o=PAR086894DVD
Old 12-07-02, 11:32 AM
Tee
Banned

Another - Serpico
Old 12-07-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tee
Another - Serpico

I guess everybody really does hate Paramount.

"I get a horrible sense of déjà vu every time I put a back catalogue Paramount release in my player, and when I come to write the review for that matter. Yet again little or no effort has gone into remastering, with print damage more than evident and the dreaded Paramount grain permeating the frame. To add insult to injury the brief clips of the film present in the special features are free from the grain and look far better than the main feature, infuriating I'm sure you'll agree."
Old 12-07-02, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
I guess everybody really does hate Paramount.

I don't . Paramount is one of the best studios out there when it comes to releasing classic movies in good to amazing quality.
When you want to see truly mediocre releases, go see MGM's Exodus or Hallelujah Trail (R1).
Serpico looks (and sounds) wonderful and the little grain that is there is supposed to be there.
The "electronicreality" review is ridiculous imho giving it such low points for picture quality. One wonders if the reviewer is seeing his DVD's on a properly calibrated set.

If you don't trust me, look at the review I pointed to earlier or go here:

http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreviews4/serpicodvd.html
http://www.dvdauthority.com/serpico.asp

All give high marks to picture quality ("stellar", "amazing").
Old 12-07-02, 03:37 PM
Tee
Banned

I have to admit I haven't actually seen the film on DVD, it was one of the reviewers on my site who gave it low marks. However, I do trust his opinion but will have to check this one out for myself.......

Can I just add that I watched K19: The Widowmaker last night and I have to say was extremely impressed by the picture quality! When I review it, it will be pushing for 5/5....... well done Paramount.

Oh and finally, a different reviewer gave The Duelists Special Colector's Edition (also from Paramount) full marks and said the following:

"This transfer blew me away with its sheer quality. I am going to stick my neck out and say that this is one of the best transfers I have seen on a re-released film...... Simply put this transfer is an excellent presentation that is more than up to showcasing the excellent cinematography and, for me, will be the benchmark by which re-released discs are judged by."

I guess Paramount get it right alot of the time.......
Old 12-07-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tee
Can I just add that I watched K19: The Widowmaker last night and I have to say was extremely impressed by the picture quality! When I review it, it will be pushing for 5/5....... well done Paramount.

Bravo to Paramount. They didn't screw up a film that's around 6 months old...

hitch_fan - You're definitely in the minority. Paramount is a disgrace to DVD..........
Old 12-08-02, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by JaxComet
Bravo to Paramount. They didn't screw up a film that's around 6 months old...

hitch_fan - You're definitely in the minority. Paramount is a disgrace to DVD..........
Everybody hates Paramount? Definitely in the minority? I wonder what intricate statistical research led to that conclusion.

So which releases of classic movies have they screwed up so much that they can be called a disgrace to DVD?
You definitely haven't seen many classic movies on DVD if you reach that conclusion .
Old 12-08-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just because they take an old transfer and throw in on a disc doesn't make them deserve praise. For a studio that owns the rights to so many great films they need to do a little more than the bare minimum.

MGM may not be the greatest but at least they release many of their DVDs at a bargain price.......
Old 12-08-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone:

I prefer to keep threads in the Review Forum limited to DVD reviews of the specified movie. While in general it's heartening to see conversations rolling from topic to topic, it's distracting to members looking for more information about the DVD, which is the point of this forum.

Please take off-topic discussions to the correct forums (Studio Talk, DVD Talk, etc.)

- David Stein