Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How important is it that I have a progressive scan dvd player with a new theater sys?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How important is it that I have a progressive scan dvd player with a new theater sys?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting very close to buying a new theater system. After some research and talking to several people here (special thanks to dvdmovie1), I have more or less decided on a Panasonic SAHE100 receiver paired with a set of Onkyo SKSHT500 speakers. I am going to hook these up to a Toshiba 36" tube TV.

My existing dvd player is a Toshiba SD-1600, which is not progressive scan. How important is progressive scan? Should I be thinking about buying a new dvd player as well?

Forgive my ignorance. I am learning, but damn, there's a lot to learn.
Old 12-04-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If your TV cannot accept the progressive signal then this is a moot point.

If it can then you will definitely want one.
Old 12-04-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
If your TV cannot accept the progressive signal then this is a moot point.

If it can then you will definitely want one.
How do I know? The specs say nothing about that.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Also, should I consider this before making a final decision on which TV to buy? Or is it only HDTV that has progressive scan?
Old 12-04-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Generally, I think it is only HDTV or HDTV-ready tvs that accept progressive signals.

If your TV has RGB, component or VGA inputs and is at least HDTV-ready then it will accept a progressive signal...I think.

This line from the description on amazon makes me think that yours does not:
A ColorStream component-video input provides the ultimate picture quality from interlaced component-video signals; standard composite-video inputs accommodate all DVD players and most other video sources.
Old 12-04-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The specs specify component video input which would mean that it can accept a progressive signal.
Old 12-04-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
The specs specify component video input which would mean that it can accept a progressive signal.
Actually, the specs say the TV accepts "interlaced component-video signals," which is why CharlesC wrote what he doesn't think the TV accepts progressive signals.
Old 12-04-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sdcrym
Actually, the specs say the TV accepts "interlaced component-video signals," which is why CharlesC wrote what he doesn't think the TV accepts progressive signals.
According to this site there are component inputs

http://www.onecall.com/PID_15756.htm#FID_820

From Toshiba

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN YOUR NEXT TELEVISION:

1. ColorStream Component Video Inputs
ColorStream Component Video Inputs are the best analog connections for today's high-resolution digital sources, such as DVD players and Digital Set-Top Boxes. Three cables, Y (Luminance), Pr (Red - Y) and Pb (Blue - Y), deliver a cleaner, clearer signal that is unaffected by the television's comb filter or NTSC decoder. The result is higher resolution and greater color purity for the ultimate in picture quality.

2. ColorStream HD Component Video Inputs
All Toshiba HDTV Compatible televisions include two sets of ColorStream HD Component Video Inputs. These inputs are capable on receiving 480i and 480p signals, as well as 1080i HDTV. Multiple high-resolution capable inputs provide an increased level of connectivity and future readiness for progressive DVD players and set-top boxes.

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/colortv.html#
Old 12-04-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just because a TV has component inputs does not mean that the TV can accept progressive signals. I own a TV that has component inputs, and it's definitely not progressive scan.
Old 12-04-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because a TV has component inputs does not mean that the TV can accept progressive signals. I own a TV that has component inputs, and it's definitely not progressive scan.
I am beginning to think that is correct in this case. It looks like Toshiba has their own way (marketing?) of describing their specs.
Old 12-04-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditto... I have a 36" Panny tube w/ component inputs and it does NOT accept a progressive signal... My 47" Panny 16X9 does of course... Just to sum up what's already been posted... Everything that I've digested on this topic to date tells me that if it's not at least HDTV ready, you do not need a prog scan player since you will not be able to use it...

As for importance... With a HDTV or HDTV ready set, a prog scan player is pretty much mandatory even though some sets use their own internal doublers...

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 12-04-02 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 01:11 PM

The only non HDTV that supports progressive scan that I know of are the Sony Wegas.
Old 12-04-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tonyj
The only non HDTV that supports progressive scan that I know of are the Sony Wegas.
I'm pretty sure the non HD Wegas don't accept a progressive signal either, if they did they would be listed as EDTV (extended definition).
Old 12-04-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tonyj
Which non-HD Wega's support prog scan? Are you sure you are not confusing prog scan with 16:9 enchanced mode?

Some plasma's only support 480p. I think Samsung also released some 480p direct view sets recently.
Old 12-07-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Let me just add that it can make a BIG difference as to what TYPE of PS DVD you add. I had a lower end Phillips which made the picture on my HDTV look really sub-par. Then I replaced it with a Toshiba SD-4800 and the difference is incredible...