Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: David Gilmour In Concert

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-04-02, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not your usual Pink Floyd concert. It is primarily an acoustic show called the Meltdown concert, filmed at the Royal Albert Hall in 2001 and The Royal Festival Hall concert in 2002.

The songlist is as follows:

Shine on you Crazy Diamond
Terrapin
Fat old Sun
Coming Back to Life
High Hopes
Je Crois Entendre Encore
Smile
Wish you Were Here
Confortably Numb
Dimming of the Day
Shine on you Crazy Diamond
A Great Day for Freedom
Hushabye Mountain
Dominoes
Breakthrough
Comfortably Numb
The last 3 are from the 2002 show.

I'm not sure what to think about this disc. It is almost entirely acoustic, so the songs are not what you are accustomed to hearing.dave plays electric guitar on 4 or 5 songs). He has a large backup band, also acoustic, including 9 background singers. The only names I recognized are Michael Kamen (piano and English horn), Dick Parry (sax), Richard Wright does a guest appearrance on the last three songs, and Bob Geldorf does the Roger Waters vocals on the second version of CN. A guy by the name of Robert Wyatt does that part on the first version. Neither of these guys do the song justice. Both read the lyrics, and Wyatt sounds like he never heard the song before. Dave's vocals are also rather weak on the older Floyd tracks.

The sound (5.1) is nice, although it won't bring down the walls. Most of the sound comes from the fronts, with very little surround. It also has a nice looking picture, vibrant colors, 1:85 anamorphic widescreen. I did notice some digital edge enhancement though, especially on the guitar strings.

The disc also has several extra features...3 other songs from various concerts, nothing special, the lyrics to all the songs, and a home video I didn't look at.

At this point in time, I can't give it a hearty recommendation, unless your a diehard Floyd fan, or a guitarist who would like to see how to play the guitar parts. Hopefully, with furher viewings, I will be able to give it a higher rating.