Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please Tell Me: Do I Need a New DVD Player??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

OK--I have this lower end Phillips progressive scan DVD player and this Samsung 47" widescreen HDTV.

The "problem" is, when I turn on the progressive scan of the DVD player, the picture looks far worse than when it's off.

I understand from another thread that apparently HDTVs perform some sort of progressive scan on their own, which is great, so maybe I don't need a PS DVD player at all.

However, the one I have I am quite unhappy with for some minor reasons. First, you just push this button (on the DVD player itself, not on the remote) for PS, but there's no light or anything so I never know if it's in PS mode or not (unless I navigate through the DVD menus). Also, the display menus stinks because it only shows the counter, not the chapter number its on or anything else. This likewise annoys me.

So my question is this: I want to exchange this DVD player, but will getting a better PS make/model improve my picture quality, or should I just leave that job up to my TV, which seems to be doing a pretty good job (not entirely sure--Avia DVD on its way)? Or should I just get a really good non-PS DVD player?

I have always received excellent input on here, so ANY advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The "problem" is, when I turn on the progressive scan of the DVD player, the picture looks far worse than when it's off.
Well not sure how to help.

Has it always done this?

Some players have built in "line-doublers" although I doubt your does. Some TV's do some conversion as well.

Can you get another progressive player to compare with? Have you checked your cables? Have you checked both the settings on the player and the tv?

Good luck.
Old 12-03-02, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Well not sure how to help.

Has it always done this?

Some players have built in "line-doublers" although I doubt your does. Some TV's do some conversion as well.

Can you get another progressive player to compare with? Have you checked your cables? Have you checked both the settings on the player and the tv?
I have no idea if my TV does the conversion or not. (It just says: "1080i/480p display capability
16:9 widescreen display for optimized viewing of HD and anamorphic DVD sources, Digital ProChip upconversion system changes standard broadcast signals to 480p, vastly improving picture quality, Dedicated HDTV (1081i) and DVD (480i/480p) component video inputs"). I also severely doubt this DVD player has built-in line doublers.

I just can't figure out why it'd look clearly worse with progressive scan turned on rather than off! I thought maybe when I turned it off it was simply the TV doing a better job, but now I'm not sure about that either. I can't find any setting on the TV that has anything to do with this...!

The component cables are brand new and in good shape, so since the other things about the DVD are bothering me anyway, I guess I'll just return it and try a better progressive scan player?

ANYTHING else I can try?

THANKS.

Last edited by uteotw; 12-03-02 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
I have no idea if my TV does the conversion or not.
The picture on a DVD is stored as an interlaced signal (480i). Your HDTV television displays all content in progressive scan (480p)**. If you have a progressive scan DVD player, the player is doing the deinterlacing (turning the interlaced signal into progressive). If you don't have a progressive scan DVD player, the TV has its own deinterlacing hardware built in.

(**Except for 1080i HDTV material, but that's another story and not relevant to this discussion.)

It is generally a better idea to have the DVD player do the work because the hardware built into most TVs is usually substandard. However, if you have a really cheap progressive DVD player, perhaps not.

I also severely doubt this DVD player has built-in line doublers.
Line-doubling is another term for deinterlacing.

I just can't figure out why it'd look clearly worse with progressive scan turned on rather than off!
It could be that your DVD player is not doing a good job, or it could be that there is something wrong with the way your TV receives a progressive scan signal.

so since the other things about the DVD are bothering me anyway, I guess I'll just return it and try a better progressive scan player?
Yes, this is the best course of action. Try a Panasonic player. They do a better job with progressive scan. The RP-82 is recommended.
Old 12-03-02, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
The picture on a DVD is stored as an interlaced signal (480i). Your HDTV television displays all content in progressive scan (480p)**. If you have a progressive scan DVD player, the player is doing the deinterlacing (turning the interlaced signal into progressive). If you don't have a progressive scan DVD player, the TV has its own deinterlacing hardware built in.

(**Except for 1080i HDTV material, but that's another story and not relevant to this discussion.)

It is generally a better idea to have the DVD player do the work because the hardware built into most TVs is usually substandard. However, if you have a really cheap progressive DVD player, perhaps not.

It could be that your DVD player is not doing a good job, or it could be that there is something wrong with the way your TV receives a progressive scan signal.

Yes, this is the best course of action. Try a Panasonic player. They do a better job with progressive scan. The RP-82 is recommended.
Thanks, Josh Z! That is incredibly helpful.

I doubt (and hope it's not) the TV--it's brand new and works perfectly otherwise, so I'll pick up a new Panasonic DVD on Friday when the BB 10% deal starts and hope for the best.

If that doesn't do the trick, should I be satisfied with letting my TV do it? If that is the case, does it even matter that I have component cables running from the DVD player to the TV?

Thanks again for the great help.
Old 12-03-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
I doubt (and hope it's not) the TV--it's brand new and works perfectly otherwise,
If it is brand new, then it should still be under warranty. I say this for a worst case scenario. Hopefully, just getting a better DVD player should do the trick.

If that doesn't do the trick, should I be satisfied with letting my TV do it?
Well, I guess that depends on what types of artifacts bother you. If you don't notice deinterlacing artifacts, then it is probably best that they not be pointed out to you.

If that is the case, does it even matter that I have component cables running from the DVD player to the TV?
Component cables are still recommended because they transmit the highest quality color signal.