Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The CyberHome 500 Dvd player discussion thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The CyberHome 500 Dvd player discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-02, 02:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experience with the CyberHome 500 Dvd player?

I read about the 500 being able to convert PAL to NTSC correctly and being all region hackable. Anyone have any experience with this player?
Old 12-02-02, 03:41 PM

check out the thread that i started on another forum.

http://pub5.ezboard.com/fhongkongdvd...cID=4273.topic

it might have your answers
Old 12-02-02, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by dyerjp
check out the thread that i started on another forum.

http://pub5.ezboard.com/fhongkongdvd...cID=4273.topic

it might have your answers
Great thread, answered my questions. Sounds like a great player to get into PAL discs.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-02, 01:12 PM

also check out www.nerd-out.com their message boards. had mine for a week so far and i'm quite pleased.

pants
Old 12-05-02, 08:23 AM

I just bought mine yesterday, and it works great!
Old 12-05-02, 07:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
great machine

haven't had a chance to run R2 PAL yet (they are on order), but from a region 1 NTSC perspective this machine is INCREDIBLE for the price.

the colors are a tad off and little soft, but tweaking with video essentials did wonders...

DD 5.1 and DTS decoding, region free and PAL -> NTSC?

awesome!

Last edited by cinemaman; 12-05-02 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 10:19 AM

i gave in and ordered one from amazon yesterday (i've got issues with best buy and don't get stuff there; amazon and BB were the only stores i found this unit). it's supposed to ship the 11th , but i guess that gives me time to finally get some anamorphic PAL discs to test it out when it gets here

skokefoe.
Old 12-11-02, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

anamorphic pal ok?

...weighing the options between Malata and Cyber Home CH-500... the kicker will be if the 500 will play anamorphic pal correctly without stretching.

any experience with this?

out,

copacabana
Old 12-11-02, 12:13 PM

it does the pal anamorphic perfectly.
Old 12-11-02, 01:53 PM

s_copa

go to nerd-out.com then forums then cyber home for more info.

pants

it plays anamorphic pal great.
Old 12-11-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well, i gave up and ordered one after people kept comparing this player with the MALATA and JVC....now we shall wait and see.
Old 12-11-02, 04:49 PM

i got mine in the mail today..unfortunately i don't have any anamorphic PAL dvds yet (2 on the way though), so i can't test that. dvd playback looks and sounds very good to me (s-video to 27" regular tv and digital coaxial to harman kardon receiver). the region hack does work fine. i also upgraded the firmware from this cyberhome page with a cdrw iso that was easy to do.

one thing that's important to me is SVCD playback, which is less than stellar, as of this writing. it's a bit jerky (moreso than the sampo and apex players i've used in the past). however, the firmware page above has the following:
Fix SVCD disc playback is jerky and sound distorted with some discs - Further problems with SVCD discs are being addressed - new update due soon!
so hopefully this is resolved very soon. i like the player, but i can't justify keeping it (i've got more SVCDs than i plan to buy anamorphic PAL DVDs).

one other note, the MP3 playback is very nice, finally longer filenames supported so you can tell what you're playing.

i'd repeat the suggestion to visit the forums at www.nerd-out.com as they seem to have pretty good info on updates and such.

skokefoe.
Old 12-11-02, 05:14 PM

I have this player now and I am experiencing the same problems as the people on Nerd-Out have with the top of the picture.

On Spiderman dvd as an example...go to the trailer for Spiderman and on the quick screen changes where there are action or very bright, I see the top of the screen kind of flicker or distort. I see it very clearly on the left corner.

I emailed Argus so I will wait and see what they reply back with. Other than this issue I am pleased so far with the unit.

Anyone else see the problem I am talking about?
Old 12-11-02, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by mapson
I have this player now and I am experiencing the same problems as the people on Nerd-Out have with the top of the picture.

On Spiderman dvd as an example...go to the trailer for Spiderman and on the quick screen changes where there are action or very bright, I see the top of the screen kind of flicker or distort. I see it very clearly on the left corner.

Anyone else see the problem I am talking about?
what kind of video connection to your tv are you using? (progressive scan, etc) do you have a digital/hdtv? just curious, because with s-video on a regular tv i haven't noticed anything like that (yet, and i don't own spiderman).

skokefoe.
Old 12-11-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

skokefoe.......Have you tried playing any French PAL discs....I read on the ezboard.com that a few people had some issues with them.

Please, provide us with a bit more info as to what does the PAL/NTCS conversion look like. I bought this player (it is shipping now) only for the purpose of having properly framed movies that are in PAL and I am very nervous as to how this player will perform compared to ,say, the JVC.....and/or maybe the MALATA.

Thank;s for your assistance in advance!!
Old 12-11-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked it up at BB last weekend, and have watched a handful of R1 movies. It's hooked to a 27" Wega via component cables, picture's great. Color is a little off as mentioned, but nothing 5 minutes with a Video Essentials type DVD won't fix. I tried some non-anamorphic PAL DVD's and the pic was fine. I've got some R2 anamorphic films coming, and I'll post my experience with that. Since I've got it set to 16:9 and use the Wega's 16:9 enhancement, I'm not that concerned w/ exact anamorphic PAL conversion, since I'll never use it. I'll try it out though, and post it.

So far this has been a great player for the price. I definitely suggest getting the upgrade from Cyberhome though. It fixes some DD 5.1 issues along with the SVCD problems. If anyone can find me a better player for $63, I'll eat a fig. (I don't like figs)
Old 12-11-02, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by skokefoe
what kind of video connection to your tv are you using? (progressive scan, etc) do you have a digital/hdtv? just curious, because with s-video on a regular tv i haven't noticed anything like that (yet, and i don't own spiderman).

skokefoe.
I have upgraded to the 021108 firmware and I have it connected via composite to a 27" tv. I see it frequently with quick picture changes, such as those in trailers. I don't have any PAL discs to test but a quick check on my R3 Bichunmoo trailer I see the same problem.
Old 12-12-02, 09:14 AM

My testing so far

Here's a summary of what I've tested all or lengthy parts w/o problems:

R2/French - In The Mood For Love
R3 - Tears of the Black Tiger
R2/HKL - Miracles, Mr Vampire
R3 - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
R1 - SW1 - Phantom Menace
R1 - Fifth Element
R0 - Shaw Bros. karaoke collection, vol 2
and one HK vcd

did have a problem with
-HKL R2/R0 Iron Monkey - disc is scuffed, it froze and pixillated
-R2/France - Mylene Farmer music video II,III collection
- when loading menu and specific points on one cut, the video drops/blinks and the screen goes to blue
-- similar problem with the Ball Above All hoops video but didn't bother to go back and verify
Old 12-12-02, 10:29 AM

Quick question? Where did you get an R3 Tears of a Black Tiger? I love that movie and had the PAL R2 but sold it. I would like to get an R3 NTSC one though if there are english subs.
Old 12-12-02, 10:55 AM
Cool New Member

cheers

cheers to krisbee and no pants for the info as well as my extended family for their efforts

out,
copacabana
Old 12-12-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I want to know, plain and simple, if there is stretching on R2 PAL or any other region discs (expect R1) or not. If not, I am sold. I want to hear this before I buy.... thanks.
Old 12-12-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here it is.... you could get more info from these guys(these are the people that came out with the regional hack etc,.).

www.nerd-out.com

look under the threads pertaining to CyberHome-500.
Old 12-12-02, 12:11 PM
Cool New Member

same question

Bill, I asked the same question and was told "no". Scroll up and you'll see. Also, helpful link to nerd out for more details...

out,
copacabana
Old 12-12-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$70 at Best Buy. It works far better than my APEX, and presents amamorphic PAL discs on a 4X3 without a hitch. Recommended!
Old 12-12-02, 02:53 PM

it plays PAL on a 16x9 tv w/o any problems also

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.