Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer help needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer help needed

My father is in the market for a subwoofer.. I'm not that in the know regarding subs, since I dont' have one, since I live in an apt, and get noise violations every other day as it is.

My question is, my father is the marker for sub -$300 range.

He was interested in the Polk 10" PSW350 for 269. Is this a decent sub? Also, can someone please suggest the best bang for the buck with that budget, if it is not that one. Thanks.
Old 12-01-02, 02:16 AM

We're gonna need a little more info...Room size? Receiver? what is his current setup? You don't want to have a sub that overpowers the current speakers...and is he more into movies or music or about equal?

and the first thing you're gonna get recommended is the Sony WM40, which I hear is not too bad, but there's better out there like the Hsu...get me a little more info, and I'll be glad to help
Old 12-01-02, 11:35 AM

Oh yeah, might need some details eh..

I'm not presently there, so it's just my off the top of my head guesses.

He currently has all polk speakers I believe 6 1/2" fronts, surrounds etc. (Not sure of the exact model numbers) He's running a Harman Kardon 520 receiver to those speakers. And he's simply running 2 fronts, 2 surrounds and a center.

Room size is prob 20X15 or so.

That's about all the info I can give you off the top of my head. He was thinking he should match the sub with his regular speakers, but I told him that wasn't really that important with the sub.
Old 12-01-02, 06:47 PM

Spaceboy...

You're right about not having to match the sub to the speakers. for a room that size, I'd recommend something at minimum of 10". A room that size is more suited to a 12" sub, as it's always better to have more power than needed in a sub because having an underpowered one that is overextended is just bad.

$300 should be able to get you a pretty solid sub, something like a Mirage Sub is just out of that range. Maybe even a nice Polk too!